Cassette Toilets and No. 2

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by findoggy, May 24, 2011.

1. findoggy

findoggy New Member

Never having used a cassette toilet, I have what may be a very silly question to ask. When using a cassette toilet for No. 2, does anyone ever have a problem with flushing everything down? I am assuming the flush is merely to rinse the bowl portion and not actually to pull everything down. So, do you open the little valve thing, do your business, then flush? I don't want to have any problems with "stuff" being left behind. Sorry if this question appears somewhat crass, but I was thinking of buying a Thetford and didn't want to waste my money if this would be problematic. Thanks in advance,
    Jason

2. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I say, open the valve first. You are right, the flush is only good for rinsing the bowl.

3. Engauge

Engauge New Member

We have a shower/cassette built in. It seems to have a three position flapper setup. The first being closed and seals off pretty good. The second is when the handle is move slightly to the open position. I am not sure if this is a actual design position but it is just open enough to let the #1 drain thru without having the entire opening exposed. Also good for rinsing afterwards. Just have to remember to close when done. The third position is fully open and we normally use it this way while sitting for a #2. Being centered under the human exit cavity most of the #2 drops right off into the holding tank. It takes a little running of the rinse afterwards to clear some remnants but usually not to bad. FYI the cassette is used mostly by my son and wife. I usually walk to the camp facilities, I don't want to take the chance of a big clean up.

4. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

imo, using lots of water in the bowl before you go will ensure everything goes down when you "flush" we 've had no issues so far.

5. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

We don't duece it in our camper. I guess we would if it were an emergency or weather prevented us from going outside, but we normally camp at Missouri state parks and they all have pretty decent "comfort stations" that are a short walk away.

6. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I thought it was like some kind of unwritten law that you simply do not poop in the pup .
    Maybe different if it's an emergency or potty training or something .

7. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

lolol

8. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

Yes that is the unwritten rule, but my DD is young and so we let her use it for that. DW and I do the dirty deed at the park toilet. I always tell me wife that if we use that potty we have to dump it, and that is my least favorite part of the whole PUP experience.

But the potty in the pup sure is nice when you have to pee in the middle of the night.

9. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Well, we open the "valve" thing up and do our business. If we need to, we use the shower hose to rinse afterward. When we had the porta-potti, I always kept a litre bottle of water next to it in case we needed it for extra rinsing.

Just not an issue for us.

Pam

10. flash82

flash82 Member

...note to self, don't read this topic while eating lunch.... Wife and I do that business at the campground, Kids can go any #'s in the potty.

11. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

I do not use the porta potty for that very often, but some times it is necessary. Leave the valve closed and place an cross of toilet paper in the bottom. When done, push the rinse water button and open the valve. This will prevent the objectionable skid marks.

12. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

For the amount of money that we paid for our hw, we use all our amenities! [;)]

13. mhc77

mhc77 New Member

agreed! this may be TMI but my son was the first to go #2 in the PUP and i called it the "$10,000 poop!"

Hubby was trying to tell me that going #2 was not allowed in the PUP and I told him that's what we bought the thing for...so I don't have to #2 in the woods or nasty cg port-a-diseases!

no smell issues on our 4 day trip. we'll prob empty it mid trip on our 10 day trip this summer.

Mercedes

14. Manper

Manper New Member

Well in response to issues "flushing it out" just make sure you use the correct toilet paper or dissolvable wipes as it makes it easier.

Pay no attention to those who say you shouldnt use the cassette for "its" purpose otherwise what the purpose...right?

The windows can be un-zipped to air it our if need be [;)]

15. ike129

ike129 New Member

poo does not stick to bunny fur, but I do not use bunnies to wipe with.

16. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

Amen!

17. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

I ain't bashful ........ we use all our amenities too!

18. dfab

dfab New Member

when we took the pup out for the first time the kids needed to try it out and thought it was neat and found every excuse to use it after being told to use the cg's bathrooms.

19. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

We set up a tent for the Potti, where do you use it inside the Pup? I store it under a seat.

20. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

One of the many reasons we bought our Niagara is because it has a toilet, so it gets used...........it's a toliet, that's what it is made for isn't it ?