Cassette vs holding tank

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Milemaker13, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

So I'm starting to read that a 'cassette bath/shower' is not the same as a standard rv bathroom.
    Can you explain the difference and pros/cons of each system.
    Are all pup bathrooms cassette style?
    Thanks.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

A Cassette Toilet has a removable "Cassette" which can be dumped in a toilet at a campground's bath house or a dump station. With a holding tank, you can only use a dump station so you have to do this on your way out of or in to a campground (you have to take your camper to the dump station).

Most PUps which have a toilet have a cassette type.

Orchid likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Almost all popup bathrooms include a cassette toilet with the exception of the highwalls which may have a black tank and therefore drain very similar to a larger camper. Here are my 2 cents. I'd rather have a cassette as I can empty it at any time without having to disconnect the camper and tow it to the dump station to empty. I'm able to remove the canister from the toilet and bring it to either the bathroom or dump station. Downside on long trips, you may need to make more trips to empty. However the built in cassette toilets can hold quite a bit considering.

Orchid likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Agreed with all above, if your staying only in full hook up sites it may be better, but if not i like the cassette. It sounds bad, but its easy to empty and so far has held up good. Also, i dont kow the capacity of the ones that have black tanks.

Orchid likes this.
  5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Because the flush toilet uses more water than the cassette I don't think you really have any more usage capacity with the small black tanks they put in pups. Plus, if your dry camping you have to haul more fresh water.

6. Milemaker13

Interesting. So the cassette toilet is more like a porta potty flush?
    Where does that leave grey water from the shower? Separate cassette?

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Grey water from the shower , is just like with your sink. Only in a separate pipe. So , it has a outside drain you need to hook up to something.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

For the popups with a shower they may have a separate drain for the shower gray water and the sink gray water. For both there will be a drain you can hook a pipe/hose to
    Dump into a bucket or separate graywater container. Or if you stay at a site with a sewer can somehow rig it to have the graywater go into the sewer directly. 99% of the places I camp don't have sewer so I never tried.

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

The cassette is a portapotty bolted to the floor, so to speak, with a black tank that pulls out the side.

xxxapache likes this.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have both. I have a toilet with black tank in the clipper and a cassette toilet in the FnR.

The black tank is 20 gallons. I can go 10 days before I have to dump. It is very easy to dump on the way out of the campground. Or I can dump at home with my clean out pipe and a macerator. Very convenient.

The cassette toilet needs to be emptied after 3 days. It is easy to pull the cassette and go dump in a campground toilet. If you are boondocking, then that can be a problem.

As for the toilets themselves, I prefer the clipper's. It sits a big higher and doesn't have that silly toilet paper holder.

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a cassette and a shower in my pup. The shower has a dedicated 20gal gray tank on board. I have never used it though. The cassette will last two of us about 4 days before it gets full and I have to take it to dump. I prefer the cassette as they are easier to deal with, and I don't have to worry about dumping the black tank into the same tote I use for gray water, and then taking that to the dump.

12. Garrity

Garrity Member

We have the cassette toilet/shower combo in ours and only have a fresh water tank on-board. We just use the toilet for #1 duties and have not used the shower yet. What started as 'Only use the toilet in the middle of the night and morning' has progressed into anytime nature calls while at the camp site. We are a family of four and can usually go 3-4 days before it needs to be emptied. Emptying it is very simple, although it can be a bit heavy for some. We have never noticed any smell from the cassette. The shower drains out the opposite side as our sink. We use a 5 gallon bucket to capture the water from the sink and will use that to help put out the campfire each night.

Orchid, Sjm9911 and Milemaker13 like this.
  13. Milemaker13

When we were shopping for our first pup I didnt want the hassle of a bathroom ... now I wish we had gotten one and I'm already looking around for our next pup. Live and learn.

14. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You might want to read through this concurrent thread on the topic of toilet facilities in popups, advantages and drawbacks.

http://popupportal.com/threads/conv...-2002-coleman-fleetwood-niagara-elite.122824/

15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The main difference between popup bathrooms and standard (but not all!) RV bathrooms is that they are "wet baths" meaning the toilet is in the shower and the drain is in the floor. You find wet baths in really small RVs (like non-slide truck campers)...and popups.

xxxapache likes this.
  16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have a cassette with shower in our pop up. AKA "shoilet." I prefer the cassette toilet to the black tank one in our TT. I will not transfer black water to a portable container, so when the black tank is full, it's full. If you only camp for a few days, it wouldn't be a problem, but we camp 1-2 weeks, so like the ability to just pull out the cassette and drive it to the dump station. I wouldn't want to have to pull the entire trailer over there to empty.

I don't always use the shower in our pop up, but did this past week. I took the first shower in the bathhouses and they were not draining properly. There were puddles in all the stalls and dressing areas, so I was happy to have ours as an option. We only have one portable grey water tank, so I would just put a 5 gallon bucket under the shower drain. It held for one shower, which we would pop the lid on and take to empty. A small price to pay to not have to stand in a puddle of other peoples' cooties.

CarlaCB, Milemaker13 and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Milemaker13

The shower house puddles are awful. The porta potty works great but now I want a shower too.
    Viva la Shoilet!

Orchid likes this.
  18. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

If your porta potti works fine for you now there's no need to create a shoilet, rather just install your own DIY shower. I did, in our 2000 Santa Fe, by installing an in-dinette seat shower, nothing to do with the porta potti which was already located in the camper's porta potti cabinet. Pics are here, just click on the "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

This is a project anyone can implement in their own camper, 'though it is easier for those owning a camper already equipped with a water heater. However, those that don't could still implement a stand alone water heater such as Coleman's HWOD water heater. Hard to beat the luxury and convenience of one's own inside shower! [A]

CamperChrissy and Milemaker13 like this.
  19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

If it's just wet, I use large puppy pads in the dressing area. I know the "green" campers don't like this, but not something I use everyday, just camping. They are clean and absorbent, and better than throwing a towel on the floor. I just toss them in the trash on the way out. But for puddles, nothing helps.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  20. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

puppy pads! brilliant.

Orchid likes this.