Catskill boondocking suggestions

Discussion in 'New York' started by adirondackcamper, May 12, 2013.

1. adirondackcamper

adirondackcamper Member

Anyone done any boondocking in the Catskills? Didn't want to go into it blindly. We were looking at the NW area and wondered if there were sites or if you just pull over on the roadside?

2. ccflier

ccflier New Member

3. ccflier

ccflier New Member

4. jackk

jackk Member

Looks pretty good. [PU] [TV]

5. adirondackcamper

adirondackcamper Member

We have gone to the MRP many times, it is really quite a backwoods expirience. It is quite a few miles of back road to get into there and not uncommon to have road closures because of conditions- so check before you go. If you really want to rough-it it is very remote! Contrary to the article I thought that the majority of sites didn't have picnic tables and some of the privys were pretty rough, so plan accordingly if you go.
    PS- it is not in the Catskills , so I'm still looking for info on that if anyone knows! :)

6. tex02

tex02 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 2005 TrailManor 3023

We are going to try Lake Taghanik the end of next month, I will report back to let you know how it is.

7. dickinjo

dickinjo Member

AdirondackCamper - we use to camp on state land/forests on seasonal dirt roads near Broome Center NY. Leonard Mountain Rd. had a fire tower years ago thats been dismantled but the seasonal roads are still with various pull-offs hunters use in the fall.

8. dickinjo

dickinjo Member

9. adirondackcamper

adirondackcamper Member

Looks nice! Thanks :)

10. jdubois

jdubois New Member

@ tex02 : Did you go to Lake Taghanic and, if yes, please report on your experience. It's one of my dozen possible CG's for mid-August and I'm trying to narrow the focus. Thanks!

11. tex02

Sorry about the late posting, been kinda hectic...We did go to Lake Taghkanik, it was really nice, it's mostly tent campers, some on ground and some on platforms, they have a few trailer sites, we were in the first trailer site, off the parking lot on the east side, I only saw one other pup parked in site #3. As far as the park experience, it was real nice, they have a playground for the kiddies, nice sand beach, they sell food at the beach area if you don't feel like cooking. They have water fountains in a few areas so you can fill up on water, and they have bathrooms where the water fountains are. Oh and a little camp store with limited hours and they only take cash.

All in all it's a nice park that's less than 45 minutes from my house so we will be visiting it again next year, also looking at Thompson Lake State Park.

Tex

12. tex02

13. jdubois

jdubois New Member

Thanks, Tex. Maybe we'll get there next summer.
    Try out Twin Oaks in Schohaire if you like quaint family CGs-we loved it!