Caught Fire! First Weekend!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jesse Ramos, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ok, I will say it's a learning experience. Also, most all of the kiddia extinguishers have been recalled. So if you have an older one they might replace it. I just got done filling a water extingiuer and am bringing a dry chemical extinguisher to boot.
    For the house
    Biggest fire safety tip is smoke detectors, change the battery twice a year ( the new 10 year battery ones arnt up to speed yet) carbon monoxide detector that atually gives a read out outside the sleeping area. The other ones will give false positives. And besides practicing with the kids, have a meeting spot in front of the home. So if you all go out diffrent doors, when your outside you know if everyone is safe. Ok , enough work stuff for now, have fun. Keep safe.

2. Jesse Ramos

Jesse Ramos New Member

Thank you everyone. For the record. The propane tank was not hooked up. The tank was empty. The spark ignition was probably right to turn on the whole time the ac was running all through the night and eventually caught fire.

3. Jesse Ramos

Jesse Ramos New Member

Correction, it was the refrigerator that caught on fire .

Attached Files:

4. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

You know, I was thinking about what I would do if my camper caught fire and I could not get out of the door. So I put a box cutter under the mattress on each bed. I figured that if I could not get out of the door, I would just slice the canvas and bail.

5. Jesse Ramos

Jesse Ramos New Member

THats exactly what we are doing now just in case. I have two Swiss Army knives under the mattresses ready to go in case we had to do that.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My older Coleman atually has a fire escape area in the canvas that can be pulled down. Put in a smoke detector!

7. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Hey Sparky, glad you got that contained. A little heads up for all of us to check our fire extinguisher and smoke alarms.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Fl Panhandle. Sorry to hear about the first trip out problems, but sounds like you got off easy. It is always a good idea to check a unit out when you first get it and learn all the in's and outs especially a used unit. Good Luck and Happy Camping

Jesse Ramos likes this.
  9. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but That looks like a Norcold fridge.

They had a recall

https://www.thetford.com/customer-support/recall-information/

I would contact Norcold (now thetford). At the very least, they could get you a new fridge.

Before I would contact anyone, I would confirm the make and model of the fridge, and see if it has a recall.