Caulk and inside propane stove

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Jwwiff, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Jwwiff

Jwwiff New Member

A coupled of diverse questions:

1) What type of caulk is used under the refrigerator vent cover on the outside? I pulled mine off the other day (‘07 Fleetwood Bayside) to do the rear baffle mods and the caulk was almost like a gasket. It really doesn’t need to seal the vent like would be necessary for the roof and was still “sticky”. What kind of caulk is recommended when I seal it back up?

2) My inside 3-burner stove doesn’t seem to be very powerful - only a small flame maybe 1” long with very little turn-down. My furnace and water heater work just fine but the stove seems to be vastly underpowered. Any thoughts or is that just the way they are? My only reference point is the stove in my house.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Fleetwood for many years offered a fixed interior low pressure stove and a second high pressure outside stove on their Grand Tour series. When they dropped the name Grand Tour and went back to the Americana series the high pressure outside stove was lost. Complaints from Americana owners in these model years convinced Fleetwood to restore the high pressure stove to many 2008 models. Why? - a low pressure stove works badly enough inside the camper, is useless for outdoor use. Yours in your 2007 Bayside is what it is, the solution is to cook outside using a stand alone high pressure camp stove.

Mat Kyne likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Most use dicor caulk. Any polyurethane based caulk will do, i still buy the dicor.

xxxapache likes this.
  4. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

I believe this is what you are looking for.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDOSKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I used what Mat mentioned above..

6. Jwwiff

Jwwiff New Member

Mat - Thanks for the information on the putty tape.

GreyFox - Are there any replacement stoves for inside the camper that work off low pressure?

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The caulk is a butyl tape which is commonly used in the RV industry. It the caulk is still pliable, you can reuse, and caulk with Pro Flex, again this is what the RV industry is using

8. GreyFox

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Stove: you can buy RV stoves online or at dealers if your stove does not respond to cleaning, etc. The stove in our first pup only had one burner that worked, we couldn't repair it, and it was an easy matter to install a new one. I'm pretty sure Coleman/Fleetwood/FTCA (depending on era) did not manufacture their own stoves.
    Since your other appliances work fine, I'm assuming that the gas hoses and lines have been checked and are in good shape. (We just had a clogged pigtail on the TT, but nothing worked with that.)

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

These seems abby normal to me, like something is restricting propane flow either in the stove or piping.

IIRC my atwood inside stove was rated 6500 BTU/burner and once the peculator was perking, I had to lower the flame and move the pot to the side or it over perked!

11. Jwwiff

Jwwiff New Member

Does anyone know what BTU the burners are rated for? I would agree on the abby “normal” diagnosis - my coleman gas (liquid) burners are about 7000 BTU each and these are no where near that. Maybe it is about time to replace the hose from the copper pipe to the stove. I’ve also been thinking about adding a second tank. The unit came with an RVQ and a hookup to the outside and I’m anxious to get to the point where I can set it up and see what that unit does.

Thanks for all the advice!

12. GreyFox

Not much, unfortunately. It's not uncommon at all for those owning a low pressure RVQ grill to never even use it, instead storing it away until it comes time to sell the trailer. I've never liked having a grill anywhere near any camper as it's difficult to prevent greasy / smokey smells from inundating the camper. I instead park my Weber Q on the campsite picnic table, well away from the camper.

13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

knock any rust out of the stove, use air to blow the line clean.

The 3 burner Atwood stove I looked up

• POWERFUL - 7,200 BTU burner offers plenty of power for cooking all types of food. The two 5,200 BTU burner are perfect for preparing your side dishes simultaneously.

14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Lots of them, just search RV stove.

15. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member