Caulking around the AC??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Paul R, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Paul R

Paul R Member

So I cleaned the roof of the camper today and tomorrow I'm using the dicor fiberglass roof sealant. I lifted up the shroud of the AC to clean around the unit and was wondering if I should put the dicor lap sealant around it. The front and the front half of the 2 sides of the AC are flush against the roof and the rest is about a half inch above. Is that were the condensate runs out? Could I just seal around the edges that are flush or is there a reason that it was not done originally? (Should I see the outside of the AC gasket?) Also - the roof is not a nice dome like it should be so I am concerned about water coming in.

Thank you.

Trout8342 likes this.
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You don't want to goop on Dicor around the shroud. It will do nothing. If you have a leak, you can tighten the mounting bolts a turn or so and see if it helps. Likely, it won't. Leaks are usually because the gasket has deteriorated. At that point, you need to pull the AC and replace the gasket.

3. Paul R

Paul R Member

The PO owner only had it for one year, but told me the people he bought it from were the original owners and they had just replaced the ac gasket, which is why I had water damage I need to repair. Should I be able to see the gasket from the outside? Remember, I removed the shroud and am looking at the metal unit against the roof. And where does the condensate come out?

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

The gasket is a 14" square. It is about 1" high. It should be compressed down to about 1/2". You should be able to see it under the unit or from inside the trailer. If your roof sags in the middle, two gaskets stacked is sometimes recommended.

I have no clue where your AC drains. Different manufacturers use different ways. My AC drains in a pan. The pan had a hose attached to it. The hose goes down inside my TT wall and drains on the ground under the trailer.

Paul R likes this.
  5. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

Our AC drains onto the roof itself. We finally did have the gasket replaced when we were getting water inside the camper. They checked the roof and determined it was still fine. If you are not getting leaks inside the camper I think your gasket is doing it's job. When in storage mode I do have to set the PUP so water doesn't pool around the AC unit. Otherwise the gasket and the filter on the inside of the PUP is the only maintenance we've ever had to worry about.