Caulking thoughts

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by G.P., Oct 8, 2021.

1. G.P.

G.P. New Member

I have / was on the waiting list for a Flagstaff or Rockwood A-frame with the toilet /shower combo .. last week I happened to visit the RV-Trader and came across a brand new listing .. just a few hours old .. of a 2018 Rockwood that had the toilet/shower combo .. I immediately left my info to let the "private seller" know that I was very interested in the trailer .. I was the second person to look at the unit ... the first person to look at it had not committed to it .. so I did .. one owner .. two women who's husbands did not really care for the activity so the two of them went in together and purchased it New in 2018 .. I went over it with a fine tooth comb and noticed a very thin crack in the caulking where the Dormer meets the roof .. So here is my question .. I was contemplating using the Flex-all brand tube sealant .. in the past .. on the roof of my motorhome .. I used the self leveling caulking on the skylights ect. ... But as I look at this repair I think a more dense flexible product might work well .. has anyone ever used Flex-all for water proofing .. and do you think removing ALL the existing caulk is wise and if not what would you use to clean the exiting caulk ie. alcohol {I would think Acetone may harm the roof} .. thanks glenn

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Don't go there. Lap sealants only on a camper. Dicor or similar. End of story.

3. G.P.

G.P. New Member

Question : If I run a thick bead of Dicor into the [right angle of the corner] corner of the roof & Dormer [where they meet] and using my finger to "drag" it .. won't the self leveling property move away from the corner ?

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You can get Dicor that doesn't level.

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Dicor non sag..

xxxapache likes this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

What they said^^

7. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

You will notice that Aframe manufacturers dont use Dicor. Call the factory and see what they use. Aliners use the much more expensive Sikasil. Is there a reason they spend the extra money to do so?

DiamondGirl likes this.
  8. Chris I

Chris I Member

Sikasil appears to be silicone? That's what it looks like on my bubble windows, at least. I had a small corner of one bubble window where the caulking failed, so I cut it out and re-did it with silicone. I'll see how it holds up, I guess.

9. cindy_k

cindy_k Member

On our 2015 Jayco A-frame, the dealer resealed our windows with Dicor, which mostly worked. We still had two small leaks.
    My husband just went over the dicor on the back skylight with Eternabond tape. It rained all night, which gave us a good check and the skylight is nice and dry now (at least while we are popped up).

But we have found the second small leak from the bottom of the ceiling fan. If the rain stops he's going to fix that too.

We are leaving on Monday for our first real camping trip in A-Frame. So we are in travel prep mode.

10. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

I agree with @Econ…. Not all Aframe manufacturers use the same materials. The materials used on Aliners are different from Chalets, Rockwoods, Flagstaff, Jayco, StarCraft and etc. Best to ask your specific manufacturer on what is recommended. And sometimes dealerships use items that aren’t recommended by the manufacturer.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Econ likes this.