Caution when ordering parts from Forest River

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by cabranch47, Jan 23, 2020.

1. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

I needed a roof sideboard to repair my HW27SC. I had made the other side board that I replaced several years ago, but thought I would check on what the factory part would cost. Forest River had the part and it would be $71.26. They would not quote shipping as they said that they did not know what it would cost. I expected it to be $75 - $100 as it is an oversized item. I received the shipping notice today and was charged $418.07 total. $71.26 plus $17.18 Tax and $329.00 Shipping. . This is ridiculous that shipping would cost 4+ times the cost of the item. I certainly would not have ordered it had I known that. I have ordered other parts from them and the shipping has always ran about the same as the cost of the item. Just be aware of their shipping charges if you order from them.

EmilyW likes this.
  2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Holy Crap!!! [?:~{][:O]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

I used to do a lot of shipping for a couple of companies and you can get quotes for a cheaper price. Sounds like they dont care because you are footing the bill!! Not smart on there end.

Raycfe likes this.
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sounds like when we folks North of the Border order stuff from the U.S.. item will cost $30 (usd) and the shipping because it has to have a few extra pieces of paper and a declaration sticker attached will cost $80 (usd) .. It is unfortunate for you, but now I don't feel so bad, someone shared the pain ..lol

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Thats just cruel. Your piece maybe will come in a big wood crate. The length is the killer.
    Over fifth years in the car and truck parts business I have also seen some whoppers. Overnight Diesel engine from Michagan to Conn .......wow. Or a Fire engine part that sat in a seat in an airplane, non first class. Or shipping a battery. In the hardware store I work we get 25 to 30 pallets of coal or wood pellets and the freight is about 1100 dollars from PA to CT.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Its totally not right for them to do that without getting a firm quote on shipping, or at least a much better estimate of the range of shipping cost, and calling you to request approval.

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm guessing they aren't pocketing the money, but a nasty surprise indeed

8. RobertZ

RobertZ New Member

Would you mind giving some details on the side board you built yourself. I have this project looming in the next few months with rot on both sides of my HW 27 SC.

RZ

9. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

I'd cancel that order.

10. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

Follow up on my original post. I emailed Ryan at Forest River concerning the shipping charges. He indicated that they did not have anything to do with these charges, but he also felt that it was excessive. He spoke to a supervisor. I could return the item with a 15% restocking fee plus shipping, which was not an option. They also offered to credit me back $150 to help with the charges. This makes the shipping charges about $179.00, still high, but since the part has already shipped and I have been charged, I really have no other option. Had I known this before, I would have built it myself as before. I do commend Forest River customer service for working with me on this issue. They did not have to offer me any compensation, but did choose to do so. When it gets here, time to get to work.

11. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

There are numerous posts on replacing the sideboards. It may seem intimidating at first but it is a logical process. I made mine out of 1/2" plywood. Since it was 14' long I had to join two pieces using a "scarf joint" using my router to take out 1/2 of the surface of each piece. I then glued/stapled the pieces together and used the old board for a pattern. My board was pretty disintegrated so I was able to save the outer covering using a multi tool with a scraper blade to gently separate from the board. It was also great to remove the old caulking. Be careful as the covering and roof material is thin. I glued the outer covering on and the fastened the board back to the roof with 1" staples and 2" screws. I then cleaned the roof with Barkeeper's Friend cleanser and wiped down with lacquer thinner. Covered the joint with 4" Eternabond tape and then replaced the molding and end pieces. I painted the roof with Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coating including the tape after wiping down with lacquer thinner. That was about 5 years ago and has held up well. The other sideboard in question was marginal at the time and I should be replaced it also because over time it got progressively worse. I had three saw horses set up with three 16' 2X4's across the top and laid the extra plywood on that to make a work table. Made the process a lot easier. Note: Before taking the canvass off, measure where the channel is positioned on the side board and then mark the channel and canvas at intervals so It can be replaced in the same position as before. Also measure where any attachment holes are (ie. lifting posts, etc.) It is also very important to have the surfaces a clean as possible for the tape and paint and use quality products, you don't want to do it again. I am not looking forward to this job but it has to be done and it is not as daunting the second time around. Good luck.

12. RobertZ

RobertZ New Member

Thank you for the very thorough information. It is very helpful. Also glad to hear Forest River helped out with the shipping cost issue $380 is what I paid to ship 14 sheets of plywood from Washington to Texas for a boat I was building. I appreciate all the info and help!