CB radio for traffic info, a good idea?

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by Thox Spuddy, Jun 9, 2013.

1. phalynx

phalynx Member

As the passenger, my wife updates it. It will also take voice commands.

For me, I usually don't care enough to update it.

2. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Hope the app is free. Cause their overhead is really low with all volunteers providing the data.......you have to love capitalism.

3. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

I've been using WAZE for over a year now. Really enjoy it. Easy to use, Voice prompts are clear through Bluetooth, but my iPhone 4s isn't loud enough to be heard over car noise. One thing I find annoying but i like it anyway, is is you're in a phone call (hands-free of course,) WAZE is still running and will talk through your phone call. As the call is ditracting you slightlky, WAZE lets you know that you still have a move to make.

Yes - WAZE is a free app

I really like the crowd sourcing aspect of it. i.e. you get an alert that "POLICE VISIBLE 1.1 mi" there's no info in the time-stamp of the data (Maybe the NSA has it) as you pass the reported position, you can confirm (THANKS) or update no police by hitting NO THERE. It's that simple

As a GPS AND data user, battery drain can be a bit speedy. Make sure that the device is plugged into car, lest you won't have any "battery bar" left.

The app has WAY more potential is you have a passenger who can type in additional data., but as mentioned above, a mere three taps reports a hazard to all around you using WAZE.

4. 4Powells

4Powells New Member

CB radio is pretty much a soap opera device imo. Used to enjoy it when it was regulated and you actually had to have a license to operate. But, that changed for the worse like many things have.My [2C]

5. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Member

CB was regulated? At one time the wattage was toned down.

6. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

I wouldn't do any long trips without mu CB.

Yea, the language is bad and most of the chatter isn't traffic reports, but it has often made the difference between knowing and driving blind.

I have an old Radio Shack CB that works really well, but the kicker is the K40 antenna, which makes all the difference as far as range.

Steve

7. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

I recently took a trip to Syracuse from Lowell and mine went off maybe 1/2 dozen times for the entire trip!!

I was on channel 19. Is channel 19 the trucker channel still?

I was studying for my Ham tech license many years ago but couldn't get the hang of the morse code. From what I understand the morse code is not needed to get the license now. Is this correct?

Jerry in MA

8. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I have no need for navigation so I never update it, though I do have lifetime traffic on my GPS. It is very accurate and updated with construction, has yet to fail me.

9. dion

dion Member

That's correct. I got my extra class license (the highest class they give) without knowing any Morse code. Since getting my license, I've been studying Morse code, though, because there's still nothing that beats it for getting a message through on low power in difficult conditions. But it's no longer a requirement for any class of license.

For more information, see http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training

10. steved

steved New Member

Yes, its still the main channel; but a lot of drivers have been restricted/governed to under posted speed limits that most listen to the radio or are on the phone anymore. Every now and again there will be some chatter, but a lot of times its pretty quiet. I can actually tell you when it went from chatter to nothing too, when the price of fuel went to $5/gallon back in 2008, a lot of companies governed their trucks to conserve fuel and a lot of owner operators got out of the business. Its really quieted down since then...but a lot of guys still listen, and will respond if you ask a question.

I commute 100 miles a day, and I heavily rely on my CB for up-to-the-minute traffic reports...just tonight it saved me from finding stopped traffic on the turnpike on a blind corner.

11. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

cber from the 70's i have my cb in the garage and will not use it. i have found truckers rarely respond to 4wheelers. cb range is limited to 1-4 miles. yes k40 is a very good antenae. i had a body mounted 6 foot antennae (firestick?)
    as for police, i dont drive that fast. traffic= gps. that is my 2cents [2C]

12. steved

steved New Member

I took my coworker from PA to Florida on a work trip, we left my basic TomTom XXL home in lieu of his TomTom with traffic. My CB would not only tell me when there was traffic faster, it let me know where it started, where it stopped, what lane was blocked, what the issue was, and gave me pointers for getting around it. It did this not once, but many times...we would almost be into the backup before the GPS would tell us there was a backup, or it would tell us there was a backup for clear road. Like you, I don't drive fast enough to worry about police. But I was far from impressed with the real-time traffic in his GPS.

As for the truck drivers not responding to a car, they don't now if you're a car or another truck (unless you make it obvious). I've never once had a trucker not talk to me because I was a car. Its likely they either don't have their radio on, or they can't hear you.

CB isn't for everyone, but don't knock it because its not "your" thing.

13. james13619

james13619 NewB Coleman Mesa

I spent the Seventies in the AutoSound business and installed hundreds of CB radios. My 2ยข...
    Where you mount your antenna has a huge effect on your transmit and almost as much on your receive.
    The 'stick' comprises HALF of your antenna system; the rest of your vehicle [ground] is the other half. The effect of this is your range is an egg shaped ellipse across the mass of your vehicle.
    In plain language; if you mount your antenna on the rear bumper you will, in effect, focus your trans/receive toward the front it will have much greater range in the direction you are pointing and less range to the rear and if you mount it on the front bumper, it will be just the opposite. And if you mount it in the middle, your range will be circular except that the center of mass of almost any vehicle is the engine block so if you were aiming for circular you'd want to mount it in toward the center of the roof near the windshield.
    Of these, mounting locations is neither better nor worse just different.
    I'm just sayin'

14. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

james you are absolutely correct. i had my stick mounted on passenger rear fender to get the most from on comers

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

There nice to have. Had one in the 80's for long trips. But with cell phones I have never seen the need to install one.

16. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

This is an old topic - but I thought I would throw in my two cents -

Ditch the CB.....get a ham license :) I have been using a program called Waze on my iPhone - realtime traffic based on other users input

17. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

I use CB, Ham AND Police band. After 30 years in law enforcement and using a CB and police radio to keep track of what going on. Most people can talk and drive at the same time. The big problem contrary to what insurance safety experts state, the major problem is keeping your eyes on the road. NOT IE; TEXTING, MAKE UP, CHECKING LAP TOP, PUTTING INFO INTO GPS , ETC. Any radio is a tool. All you have to do is learn the proper time and way to use the tool. All law enforcement , ambulance, search and rescue and fire equipment vehicles use radios as well as cell phones. What I teach rookie is that they in time will develop "radio ear" and will be able to pick up what they need to hear thats important. I believe anyone can do the same with a CB or any other type of communication. Many a driver has avoided an accident on a blind curve or a traffic tie up because of a CB radio. Thats my opinion [8D] [PU] [PUT]

18. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Why do you need a ham license to use "Waze" program? Is there one for Galaxy?

19. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Member

I think he meant he was using a ham radio and also waze on an iphone. I don't know what use a ham radio would be in navigating traffic or other local situations. I know a ham radio operator but he doesn't have one in his vehicle as he is driving down the road. I don't think anybody does. And as for waze it is only of use if you are in a heavy traffic scenario where there are lots of others also using waze on their iphone. In the context of camping/traveling a cb radio makes the most sense as it is for local information by primarily other travelers.

20. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

No mobile ham operators? Wait what? In my neck of the woods, every old guy who robbed Mickey Guilly's closet and stole Goerge Jones' hair (complete with the western polyester faux jeans) has a rather large clothes line umbrella antenna mast bolted to their Ford Ranger p/u. Each one of them meets every morning to discuss the previous nights events/encounters. They are graduating to compliment their masts (not the viagara kind) with full on yellow light bars to wheel out the local PD's radar trailer. So, if you have never seen one, please come and witness the spectacle in Jackson CA. [:D]