CB Radios

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by obnoxiousblue, Nov 17, 2010.

1. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

Hey everyone, Its Mike. Ive been on hiatus for a few months (last post was somthing like early summer I think?) LOL Was busy looking for new work, like the rest of us, along with busting by rear to make it through school. In any case, I recall a thread here a while back on CB's. Since other than VW threads, this is the only other real 'travelesque' group I post with.

I have a Cobra 29 LTD BT (the BlueTooth edition) CB radio in my camper now, its been good to me, and is barely a year old.
    I got an email today from Cobra about the release of the sucessor to my unit, the LX. While it doesnt have bluetooth, it does have some real nice new features like weather scan, the ability to have memory channels, and alot of user friendly comfort settings. Does anyone here have one yet? my BT was like almost $200 when it first came out, this new release is only 129 and seems to have alot more user friendly features than my current radio. Whats everyones take on form and function in a radio?

Glad to be back!
    Mike and Peabody (the pup)

2. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

It's been a few years since I was on top of the CB game. One thing I remember is if using the 'standard' CB antenna it's often not compatible with great weather reception. (27mhz CB vs 160mhz weatherband). It'll hear it, but not as well as even a handheld weather radio. Also, just hearing weather alerts is great, but since weather stations are designed to cover wide geographic areas, it's often not applicable to your area. (weather warnings, anyways). A handheld weather radio with S.A.M.E encoding is best for this. (You can set it to only alert you to warning, not every alert tone which may not apply to you).
    29 was a nice radio (I'm familiar with the pre-bluetooth 29 very well). Can't imagine what the LX gives you that'll make a difference.
    There's only 40 channels to chose from, never found a memory necessary. (19 for travels (without the kidS!) and another for your group).
    I'm a technical guy. I want gadgets bells whistles and dials. I also got quite used to long distance contacts via single side band (SSB) which the 29 does not offer.
    I recently purchased a pretty nice radio, just haven't had time to install it.... and honestly don't miss it at the moment. I thought I'd get back in and see if things were different in this part of the state, but just haven't plugged anything in yet.
    Good luck, Welcome back! What were the advantages of the bluetooth cb?

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

The last "modern" cb I had was bought more then 20 yrs ago, so my knowledge on the new ones is to say the least minimum.

Now I assume a bluetooth cb works just like a cell and bt device (correct??). I actually find this would be a great feature to have especially if you live in a State or Province that has laws concerning the use of hand held devices (i.e. cell phones).. I know here in Ontario (where this law came into effect last year) cb users have 2 (or 3) years in which they can still use the hand held mic, after that they have to get a hands free set up.

So for me , keeping the unit or buying a unit with bluetooth would be a plus.. [2C]

Need to find a way to rig something up for my old booted 23ch. am/ssb twin units. [;)]

4. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

I am running a $100 Radio Shack radio in my Explorer with a Lil Wil Antenna on the roof. I am fairly new to using the CB as a hobby.

5. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

This talk of CB's brought back some memories ... I use to travel with my work, back in the late 70's, and CB's were the fad ... we would "ratchet jaw" our way along the road. Now, we carry a cellphone to do the same! Had but all forgotten about CB's until on one of our popup camper travels, came across a great fishing lake that had a NFS C/G right there on the shore and CB's were the mode of communication for the lake area. I remembered I still had stashed away somewhere in the garage a portable CB that you simply plugged into a cigarette lighter for power and stuck a magnetized antenna onto the roof and you had a Si's reception. Drug that thing out for the next fishing trip and did it ever work out great - got all the pertinent fishing, weather and lake conditions first hand! Sometimes it pays not to throw all that "old stuff" out!

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

It maybe better where you are, but the trucker talk along I95 up north makes me blush. We had a base station in the house for years, but was spoiled by a few others and with kids around you just can't have it.

7. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

I carry an old ear bud, as my CB has a external speaker jack that I use qas an earphone. That way I can monitor the highway without giving the little one an education. I have found returning to the CB helpful on the highways for learning of incidents/jams before I get to them - allowing me to get off the freeway and seek alternate routes. This has saved me several times and has paid for itself.

HERE is one such example last December on I-80 where a tanker split open in PA, closing I-80 for 12hours. I-80 now has message boards, but if we waited for the exit and north route they were guiding everyone to, the wait would have been hours. First of all, the interstate was backed up 10 miles before this alternate route, and second, the alternate route was very long.

We were able to know this in advance with the CB, went off early to the south, not north, and found a nice parallel route with the GPS past where traffic was allowed to re-enter. This literally saved us hours of frustration.

8. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan New Member

I'm a local semi driver, the XM radio has almost killed the CB. It still gets pretty racey around the truck stops though... [:O]. I use a Magnum S-3 with a vice grip mounted Wilson 5000 antenna. I can use it anywhere there is a 12 volt supply...

9. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

4mula1fan how do you use XM for communication? Or is just the fact that it takes away the boredom on the long drives and you don't need to talk on the radidio? I used to (many many years ago well ok 15-20 yrs ago) have a President with added upper and lowers and a 100 watt linear.Used to drive the ex absolutely insane.

10. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan New Member

Yeah, they just seem to listen to the XM and never turn on the CB anymore. Garmins tell how to get places now, so directions aren't that big a deal anymore...

11. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

I still love my cb in the TV. I run Connex 3300 with a Wilson magnet mount antenna, I am a big fan of Cobra cbs but the Connex is just more fire in the wire, supped up of course.... [;)]

12. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

I love the CB in the camper. When on long drives, its entertainment. Maybe because Im not a career driver, and because I take long roadtrips for fun. I was on a trip to Daytona last year, and got more from the CB than the AM/FM. I was talking to people the whole way down, even a few who spotted me (in my bright green VW camper) on the way down.

13. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Well, the CB saved me from another long backup, this time on the Ohio Turnpike yesterday. There was a brutal double fatality at MP117, where a van hit an SUV broken down on the shoulder.

14. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

You just made me realize my CB is older than you. Thanks Mike.
    (Johnson 40 channel with deluxe LED readout! Circa 1978- was my dad's)

[;)]

15. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

Now, that's a damn shame. I learned a lot about life growing up with a CB... [:D]

16. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hello There

Because of my Hi-Way Connected Traveling job my wife instead that a CB
    was placed in my Go-To-Work Vehicle. This matched the CB's in every
    Gold-Wing and every AirStream Owner learns real fast they all use Ch 14.

Since I only Monitor the CB, I do not need to worry about the Mic-in-the-hand.

Cell Phones do not have a signal at every place and if using the CB, it will
    get the signal of the others in the same convoy.

We now have a 1981 Starcraft 1505 and I sure would like a good spot to
    install ( hard wire and mount ) both a CB and a small AM/Fm to catch the
    weather once in a while.

Rodger & Gabby
    COS

17. bob814u

bob814u New Member

DW was dead against my putting a CB in "Her" TV. I explained that if we had one we could ask about road conditions and weather ahead of us. I finally just put one in this morning. My Mom gave me all of my dad's old CB gear when he died so I have tons of stuff I don't know what to do with. I even have his old license from when you had to have a license to operate them. I put two Cobra 29s in before putting MY old 23 channel Uniden in. Yes, I said 23 channel. I mainly came here to see if anyone knew of a channel that campers use. I am glad to see that Channel 14 seems to be a standard. Now if we can find others on that channel while traveling. If you are in Central Texas on the weekends check on Channel 14. We will be on it if we are camping.

18. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

I've heard this before about RV's & TT using channel 13. Most of the guys I know, use channel 7 (Base Camp Channel 7). Maybe channel 7 is used more for off road wilderness camping, I don't know. We post at the bottom left of all our events "Camp Channel 7".

So if your traveling in the Ozarks near one of our events, give us a shout!

19. bob814u

bob814u New Member

Will give you a holler if we are in the area. I grew up listening to my dad talk on channel 15 in Ashdown, Ar. My neighbors complained when I set up his old gear here in Texas, clicked a couple of switches on 750 watts, and started talking to Florida and California. LOL.

20. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

Your always welcome!

Alan