Cedar Lake Ministries RV Park

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by CamperChrissy, Feb 27, 2019.

1. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has visited this campground and has any insights? It looks like a pretty nice place, but nothing too fancy. Reviews I find online are all pretty positive. One downside seems to be that hookups are shared by two campsites, so if you are on the further one you need extension cords. Probably not a big deal. Let me know if you have any experiences at this campground!

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Can't help you with a review, but I just looked it up and I'm interested in any comments as well.

3. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Just got back from our weekend at this campground, so I wanted to provide a quick review! Overall a nicely-maintained, small, simple campground.

Pros:
    • Grounds were clean & well-kept (although a little muddy, seems this whole area of Indiana is prone to flooding). Our site 30 had a particularly muddy corner where people seem to drive through, leaving ruts.
    • Shower house was clean and was cleaned daily. Thumbs up!
    • Open feel - Sites are around the outside of the loop and the inside of the loop is the showerhouse, playground, and parking spaces for tow vehicles that don't fit on your regular site. Was nice to let the kids play over there and be able to see them.
    • Price was very good for a nice campground in northern Illinois/NW Indiana

Cons:
    • Campground is surrounded on two sides by a thin strip of trees/forest and then neighborhoods. We could easily see and hear the houses from our site.
    • Very few families - we look forward to having other families and kids around for our kids to play with. This place seemed to be mostly long-term campers and seasonal workers living here (normally this would be a red-flag for me, but all campers were nice and well-maintained and we hardly saw any of the actual people (I think the cold windy weather probably kept them inside)). All their rigs were large motor homes or 5'ers and a few very large travel trailers.
    • Campground is very close to the lake and has private lake houses all around it - I would bet it gets busy and loud during the summer. I was able to take my kids and dog for several nice walks around because most of the houses were empty.
    • Hook-ups - electric pedestal and water hook-ups were shared, sewer sites had their own sewer. For our site, the water was behind our camper and the electric closer to the other site it shared with. Our water hose just made it and we used an electric extension. Worked out fine, just be sure to bring extensions for both electric and water.
    Other notes:
    • Check-in - their process is that you drive straight to your site and set-up. Then call the camp office and check-in over the phone. Was pretty simple. Never saw the office or the camp host, which just seemed a little weird.
    • Site recommendation - looks like sites 25-29 are best full hook-up sites. Site 25 had the biggest grassy picnic-table area out front and was not close to the dumpster (even though it looks like it on their map). Sites 20-24 have only a thin strip of trees behind them and then a road with private lake houses on the other side. Sites 12-14 looked like the nicest water-electric sites. Sites 15-19 were short sites and honestly I couldn't even tell where sites 17-19 were at. However you can park your tow vehicle in one of the parking spots on the inside of the loop, so a PUP should fit in any of the sites fine.
    • I couldn't find the swimming beach mentioned on their website. Was hoping to check this out to see if we wanted to come back over the summer. It might be the tiny sandy area in the canoe picture below. It does look like they have lots of canoes and kayaks to use.

Overall we had a good experience here. Worked well for our first shake down trip with this PUP. However not sure if we'll go back. We like a campground with either a lot of kid activities and other families or a campground with a true nature feeling. This one had neither.

Picture time!

This is sites about 23-27. If you look down the small exit road you can see one of the private lake houses across the street. You can see the lake through the houses, which was cool.
    upload_2019-4-22_10-57-20.png

Captain Janky! Only PUP in the park. But was cold and windy, so we were probably the only crazy fools taking a PUP out this weekend.
    upload_2019-4-22_10-57-33.png

Fire rings at every site:
    upload_2019-4-22_10-57-45.png

Bonus picture of my new towel rack in action!
    upload_2019-4-22_10-57-56.png

Lakefront access, a short walk away to the main ministry campus. They have a lot more lakefront than this, just didn't take pics. It was very windy, hence all the waves. Once the wind died down the next day, the water was much calmer.
    upload_2019-4-22_10-58-8.png