Ceiling Repair Question

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Tackleberry, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry New Member

Hey everyone, new here, my wife and I are still in our first popup, which we got 3 years ago. The thing has been nickle-and-diming us since we got it, so I'm doing some final repairs before selling it this spring/summer (hopefully). It's a 2000 Coleman Fairview, big dual-king monster with a center slide.
    Shortly after we got it, it developed a leak in the center seam. This was evidenced by water draining into the rear light fixture, filling up with water, and then dribbling onto the interior of the roof canvas while folded up. Spared damage to the rest of the pop-up, but left a nasty stain on the canvas roof. Anyway, we got it re-sealed, and the leak is gone. What I have left besides the big brown ugly stain, is the ceiling panel at the rear which is rippled from the water. I've seen a number of threads on here on to ascertain that the ceiling is probably vinyl covered luan. My question is this: Would the vinyl shrink up under heat (from a heat gun) and tighten back up? If so, it might discolor, but that's nothing a paint job couldn't fix. If not, is there any other solution to make this repair without having to do a complete disassembly of the ceiling/roof?

Bonus question, any ideas for cleaning that bit ugly stain out of the ceiling canvas?
    IMG_0389.JPEG IMG_0390.JPEG IMG_0402.JPEG

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

With that much damage your concern should be mold / mildew that has likely already formed inside the roof, the only real solution being a complete rebuild.

Your tenting isn't canvas but rather Sunbrella with the exterior on the bunk end tops being vinyl coated. Try the cleaning instructions on Page 34 of your 2000 Owner's Manual.

3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry New Member

I expressed concern to the RV shop that fixed the leak in the roof, they seemed to think that the mold risk was low, they tried to dry it externally and I left it popped up for a long time to let it air out, even using a dehumidifier in there. This was 2 years ago.

I did see the cleaning instructions of the manual, I was more curious if there was anything else, as this is rust stained water stain, and I know rust isn’t an easy thing to clean off.

4. GreyFox

Of course that would be their answer. ;) As a test, pour a bit of water in a glass jar and seal it - months later that water will still not have evaporated - a roof that's leaked won't be any different. My bet - your roof interior will still be wet in spots, wood possibly rotted in some areas, foam core deteriorated, and possibly mold. Look around here on the forum for roof repairs and you'll see plenty of examples. The only way you'll really know for sure is to open up the roof yourself. JMO.

5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry New Member

No, I get it, i know how evaporation works, the leak didn't happen while it was collapsed or in storage while sitting around, it became apparent while it was up, had to collapse it to get home with it, so it really wasn't sitting for months, but hours cumulatively between travel and drying out both in our place and at the indoor shop. I'm going to try and get an inspection cam up into the cavity to have a look. I have neither the money nor the time to disassemble the roof. Assuming the wood isn't rotten and moldy, I'm really just asking how I can smooth out that ceiling without disassembly, whether the vinyl would contract when heated or things like that.

6. GreyFox

That much rippling of the ceiling skin is a sure sign the roof interior is water logged, regardless of whether you have the time or money to properly fix the roof. I'm sure if you did open the ceiling you'd find the interior still soaked as not much evaporation would have occurred within a sealed roof.

7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

You really can't ruin it anymore than it is. Try a heat gun and find out. Start slow and at a distance. Worst case is you have to pull the ceiling to replace it, then you'll know exactly how water logged the roof is.

Tyler Vaughan and AMC like this.
  8. Tyler Vaughan

Tyler Vaughan New Member

SO... The best stuff for removing the stains is going to be the ZEP carpet and upholstery cleaner you get it at Lowes. [​IMG]

AMC likes this.
  9. Tyler Vaughan

Tyler Vaughan New Member

Also... if you cant do a rebuild... I would pull down the ceiling to see what the damage is under. You can use PC woody products to stop the rot and then use epoxy to fill in the bad spots.

here is an ex of the PC products at work in a different application. You would use a trowel to smooth and sand.

A top is mainly just roof top cover (I like grizzly grip), foam, 1/8 plywood, filament paper to stick to plywood. Once you start ripping it down you will see what the issues pretty quick!

https://www.askthebuilder.com/repair-wood-rot/

10. Tyler Vaughan

Tyler Vaughan New Member

Also get creative with the ceiling. Lots of cool options online for ceiling tile designs for very cheap.