Cell phone carrier leads

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Econ, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Econ

Econ Active Member

Please submit leads on decent cell phone carriers for me to investigate. 10 years ago ATT's network was lame. 15 years ago Tmobiles network was lame. Verizon keeps upping the price but has the best network. I am not a big cell phone user. I have uncomplicated my life and like it that way but need a 911 phone service.

Thanks

bheff likes this.
  2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Any phone, even phones that arent on a plan can call 911. They are just useless other than that.
    I've had AT&T for 18 years. Always been happy with them.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Better service depends on the area your in. Here US Cellular has the best service. Att is crappy here, , just depends on where your at

davekro and Tom Jordan like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I use Verizon because that seemed like the only service that serviced the area's I camp the most. I agree about price, but since I didn't want to be without some sort of communication where I camp it's a price I have to pay. My mom is happy with att. Although she had to buy a booster to help get signal in her house. The other providers we Ditched for a lack of coverage. When I camp alone, my family likes for me to check in so coverage is important to me when I travel.

5. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I had Verizon for close to ten years. Every time I camped and didn't have service, when I asked those that did the majority had AT&T. I switched years ago and I can't remember a time when I didn't have connectivity. (Other than some national forest spots).

Phoodieman

6. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

What are your needs? My trip out west and back this year was absolute garbage with both T-Mobile (our phones) and AT&T (our truck). T-Mobile is pretty bad at home, and without Wifi calling, would probably be unacceptable; we often call it T-Nowhere. When I'm close enough to the border to get Rogers, I have better service.

7. Econ

Econ Active Member

I have heard there are smaller companies that use verizon network at lower prices but don't remember their names.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I use tracfone, they use other towers, have roll over minutes, and no contract.

9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

IMO Verizon had better coverage in the back country. Now that I am retired we both have Consumer Cellular, which piggybacks on AT&T. Its not as good as Verizon was.

10. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Have Verizon for one reason only, connectivity. Seems to be the best out west. I actually got good service from Tracfone too back in the day. Got where I just needed to make more calls.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It depends a lot on where you travel. We've had Verizon, and a couple of pay-as-you-go, one was trac phone and I don't remember the other one. In the places we usually travel, the American SW, Verizon has given us the best coverage, so we've settled on that for now. We did have one episode last year, when a bearing went on the trailer, where we had to unhook and drive to get cell coverage, even though there was a tower right across the road. The locals in the convenience store my husband stopped at to see if there was a local repair shop said Verizon was not good in the crossroads town.

12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You can look up cell phone service maps