Cellphone antenna

Apr 5, 2019
What do you guys use for cellphone antenna? I have the weboost 3g amplifier but the small antenna that comes with it yields very minimal gain.

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
Just stating it yields minimal boost doesn't tell us anything. Many things can cause poor gain IE how good is the reception before boosting. Are you in a heavily forested area, mountainous terrain, how high is the antenna mounted, I have the weBoost Drive 4G-X RV and at 15' high with only 1 bar showing on the phone I get great boost to 3 bars when I turn it on. This is 4g, 3g is even better.

Apr 5, 2019
Just stating it yields minimal boost doesn't tell us anything. Many things can cause poor gain IE how good is the reception before boosting. Are you in a heavily forested area, mountainous terrain, how high is the antenna mounted, I have the weBoost Drive 4G-X RV and at 15' high with only 1 bar showing on the phone I get great boost to 3 bars when I turn it on. This is 4g, 3g is even better.
Did you use the small magnetic antenna that came with it or you used another type of antenna? Thanks for the reply. It did gave me about 1 bar extra signal with the small magnetic antenna

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
Did you use the small magnetic antenna that came with it or you used another type of antenna? Thanks for the reply. It did gave me about 1 bar extra signal with the small magnetic antenna
I us a 18' pool cleaner pole $25 will get you another 2+ bars. You also need to know where the cell tower is as you have a directional antenna that needs to be adjusted for maximum reception.

Arruba

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Central Oregon
In my work vehicle I have a Wilson booster with standard rooftop antenna. If I’m getting 1-2 bars but won’t hook up the booster gets 3-4 bars, solid 1 bar goes 2 maybe 3, and in&out 1 will net 2. So about 1 level up with the booster. Sometimes it will pull something out of nowhere, but sometimes not.

The Yagi mentioned above works well. We use them with the FTS, (Field Telephone System) units on our remote sensing stations. As mentioned about others, it also needs to be up in the air for best results.

Good luck

Apr 5, 2019
In my work vehicle I have a Wilson booster with standard rooftop antenna. If I’m getting 1-2 bars but won’t hook up the booster gets 3-4 bars, solid 1 bar goes 2 maybe 3, and in&out 1 will net 2. So about 1 level up with the booster. Sometimes it will pull something out of nowhere, but sometimes not.

The Yagi mentioned above works well. We use them with the FTS, (Field Telephone System) units on our remote sensing stations. As mentioned about others, it also needs to be up in the air for best results.

Good luck
Thanks very much for the info.

GrueMaster

May 22, 2013
Saint Helens, Oregon
My friend (AT&T) tried getting a signal while we were camping. He took an old cell phone, enabled tethering on it, and sent it up ~200' on a quad drone copter, while monitoring the signal on his other phone. When the drone reached an elevation that it could get a signal, he got a ping on Facebook regarding a new post on his timeline. When he looked, it was a picture of him launching his drone to get signal, that I had posted 2 minutes earlier (Verizon).

To answer your question, they make signal boost antennas, but you won't find them at any cell phone store. You need to go to a ham radio store. They should have something, or at least point you in the right direction.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
I have a 18 db wifi attends that I attach to a window laptop and create a hotspot. But it's only good in CG that have some weak wifi.

The brand is a Bear something with a USB cable to the laptop.

I have thought about looking into the cell phone personal towers that the cell phone companies sell????

Last edited:

WVhillbilly

Super Active Member
Jun 6, 2018
WV
Are you looking for a phone to use for data, emergencies, or does your workplace require you to stay in contact?
These work very well for emergency use and sending/receiving texts. https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

I usually seek out places with no cell coverage for camping, but that's just me.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Are you looking for a phone to use for data, emergencies, or does your workplace require you to stay in contact?
These work very well for emergency use and sending/receiving texts. https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

I usually seek out places with no cell coverage for camping, but that's just me.
I just bought the InReach Mini - great little gadget for life safety, might be a little $ for simply "staying in touch" though it will do that - easier when paired to a cell phone.

WVhillbilly

Super Active Member
Jun 6, 2018
WV
I have used a Spot tracker for years on my motorcycle.
Most of the places where I ride don't have cell service, and it's nice to be able to hit the check in button and let everyone know I'm not bear food.