Center Seam seal

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by jeeper88, Aug 16, 2014.

1. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

08 fleetwood westlake. I am getting ready to pull the center strip and putty it or silicone it when I put it back on. I have no leaks that I know of. It is starting to look bad and thought of fixing it before it started leaking. Does anyone have pics of where they replaced theres? Which is better puty or silicone??

2. dcbain

dcbain New Member

Check through previous threads before committing yourself. I wouldn't use putty for certain - it hardens as it ages, doesn't seal well enough in the first place and gets worse - and I use silicone for plumbing and little else. I'd use marine Sikaflex but others have their own favourites. Whichever you use, preparation is much of the job. Mask the job before applying to give a neater finish; I wish the PO of my Flagstaff had done so!.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

What he said! ^

Dicor, Sikaflex or Marine Goop. I use Marine Goop but like dcbain said, mask it off.

I've read several posts where members have used Eternabond tape with great success as well, so there's something else worth looking into.

4. jeeper88

The eternobond tape. Is it grey and has white paper on the topside of it. I think that is what I have and I was told to put it in the freezer for about 1/2 hr so it is easier to use. Gets a little stiff and not so gooey.. The marine silicone seems like the way to go. [?:~{] Dont want to redo it a year down the road.. Thanks

5. sealacamp

sealacamp New Member

Dyco 20/20 seam sealer. Please don't ever use silicone, it doesn't last very long and it won't let you know when it lets go other than the rotten wood and water that will eventually be leaking out of the inside. In fact that center seam is just a bad idea and one that the manufacturers foisted off on us because they want to be cheap and not spend the little bit of extra money required for a seamless roof.

Good luck!!

6. banks412

banks412 New Member

I used Eternabond on my PuP's roof to seal the seam and used it in a few other places as 'caps' for the screw hols on the corner caps. I'll be danged if this stuff is not only easy to use once you get the hang of it (easy) but it seems to me that it'll last quite some time. I don't know about putting it in the freezer first. I didn't do that. Just cut off a 2" piece from the end of the roll and worked with that until I was comfortable handling it. One thing I would suggest if you go this route is to get a rubber roller to help press it down into place and get the air bubbles out.

+1 +1 +1 on Eternabond tape - can't say enough good things about it. My [2C]

7. dcbain

dcbain New Member

I just checked for Eternabond on fleabay. It's available from UK suppliers but for some reason the price doubles as it crosses the lake!

8. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

I just replaced the vinyl strip a couple years ago. It was old and brittle and half missing, but I could see no evidence of leaking anywhere, so I left well enough alone. I wasn't going to mess with taking the molding off to reseal a seam that wasn't leaking. With my luck, it would then start leaking, The new vinyl has to be a big improvement.

9. Macland

Macland New Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111417428258

10. jeeper88

Thanks for all the advice. I still havent done much to it yet other than returning the small 4 piece roof brace set i paid $73 for that wont fit. I went to Lowes and found an 8' piece of 3/4" plywood channel and it was a near perfect fit. Cost $11!! It's the 4 pieces that fits in where you cut the 14" hole in your roof for an a/c. What a difference. The roof really got stiffer after that. They say pin it to the roof I am going to assume they mean use rivits? I had my a/c installed by a company in Bradenton Fl and they used silicone and no bracing. Past couple weeks I have been thru the school of hard nkocks. Luckly the damage was cought very early so I just have to reseal and get the rite gasket for the a/c.... [RTM]

11. Dubbya

I'm a little confused as I've never heard of plywood channel.

Are you saying that you're going to surround the roof opening with pieces of 3/4" plywood, or do you plan to insert 3/4" metal (aluminum?) channel into the roof opening?

Typically, when I did sheetmetal roofing and siding for a living, "pin it" usually meant to use just enough screws to hold a piece of metal in place until later construction would secure it permanently. I'm all for using rivets if the surface will be exposed or where screws heads would restrict air flow, or prevent another item from sliding into or out of an opening such as a window, door, duct or some such thing.

In this case, I'm assuming you plan to "pin" the channel inside the opening and that the AC screws you mount the AC with will be permanent. Does that sound right?

12. jeeper88

Yes sir you are right. It is 3/4" alum c-channel for plywood. Just to frame out the inside of the 14" hole to stiffen it back up. The pinning is what I was not sure what to use.

13. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

No. That's butyl tape.

14. jeeper88

So is butyl tape better????

15. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Not saying it's better. I don't have enough experience to comment. I was just helping you identify what you had in your hands.

16. Dubbya

Eternabond tape is available in white, grey, black and tan and is meant to be exposed. Regardless of which color you choose, it'll be gray on the sticky side. Works great but is easily damaged in a high traffic area.

[​IMG]

http://www.eternabond.com/RoofSeal-p/rv-rs.htm

Though Butyl tape is generally available in shades of white, gray or black, is not meant to be exposed so color is pretty much irrelevant. It's sticky on both sides and it comes in various widths and thicknesses. Absolutely toss this stuff in the freezer to make removal of the paper backing easier.

Putty tape = Waste of time.

17. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Dubbya,

Just to be clear for reference, is Putty Tape = Butyl?

18. Dubbya

There are two kinds of sealant tape used on RV's. One is putty tape. It usually has a yellowish tinge to it while Butyl comes in various shades of grey.

To be fair, some folks call Butyl tape "Putty tape" but it's not. Putty tape dries out and hardens over time, like plumber's putty that's used to seal a kitchen or bathroom sink to the countertop. Also, it is safe for contact with EPDM rubber roofs because it does not leach petroleum residue.

19. sealacamp

sealacamp New Member

Butyl tape is not better and is only suitable for areas that you plan on disassembling at some point. Not really sure why it was/is used on a fixed seam seeing as how you would never intend to disassemble the roof for any reason, and its all glued together so you really can't disassemble it without destroying it. What is good has been talked about here, what is best has as well. Do your research and then decide what it is you are trying to accomplish and use the appropriate material.

20. jeeper88

Well I did my center seam this past monday. Used the Ebond tape and put 5200 marine sealent down each screw hole put new seal under my a/c unit. I will be installing x-tra braces under my a/c for piece of mind...