Central WI RV and Camping Show

Discussion in 'RV Shows' started by jjg, Feb 28, 2014.

1. jjg

jjg Member

The 4th Annual Central WI RV and Camping Show will be March 7-9 at the Patriot Center in Wausau. This will be my first year attending, my coworker says it pretty nice.

http://www.fishingboatingoutdoor.com/rvcampshow.html

2. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Yes and no, like many things it depends on your perspective. Much of it is geared toward TTs and MHs, stuff without canvas. Even some of the campgrounds that have booths there don't want PUPs, which was a suprise to me since I'd never seen that in Wisconsin before. We've been to twice - once when we were looking for our PUP, and last year because we had been given free admission and didn't have anything else going on.

It's definitely not a bad event, but it also wasn't quite what we were expecting. For example, I puzzled for a little while trying to come up with how a booth selling packets of flavored powder to be mixed with sour cream to make a dip was really something for camping. But there was also a really cool tool that was being sold at one booth... can't remember the name but it was a fork/spoon/knife all in one piece of recycled plastic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

3. jjg

jjg Member

I'm hoping to get a look at an A-frame pup. They have always sparked my interest but have not seen one in person. I know I'm really looking toward the future, but I think DW and I would really look nice in one after the kids are grown and out of the house. Besides with the weather being so darn crappy what else am I going to do that weekend.

4. wapwap

wapwap New Member

When we went no one had an A-frame. And I don't know that any of the dealers that we've seen there even sell them, unless they get one on trade. They bring the newest, slickest models - can't blame 'em, they're trying to sell, that's what they do. But last year we saw one that had the fan/light combos and asked about buying just those. All the sales people looked at us like we were crazy for not "upgrading" our PUP to something bigger to get them - not worth it, we like our PUP. I was more suprised they wouldn't take 15 minutes to try making that sale. Sort of a help me with the little stuff and when I'm ready for big changes I'm more likely to go see you. Instead we found a pair in good condition, good price, with no hassle on eBay. But it's definitely fun to go looking through the latest models. Just don't be too shocked at what you do or don't see there. You are definitely right about the weather... what else are you gonna do...

Take a look at the beer cases in the grocery store when you get your groceries over the next week. We've seen some sticky note type things in past years that will get you in for half price or buy-one-get-one admission deals.

5. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Personaly, I wouldn't pay admission to be talked down to by a bunch of snobby salesman because I'd rather have my PUP than their mortgages on wheels.

6. jjg

jjg Member

My brother in law got me an " at least it's paid for sticker" for the pup for my Christmas present.

7. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

We just got home from the Milwaukee (Wi) RV show and they had 2 pups, both Jayco. No a frames.

8. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Sorry to disagree Nimrod, we saw 4 pups - 2 Jayco, 2 Palomino
    There was 1 A frame there I think from De Haan dealership, definitely could be wrong on the dealership though....
    Truly aimed at the really BIG rigs, most have GVW's over 10K [:O]

Looked at and DH fell in love with 233S Roo. We could have it for $16750 trading in our beloved pup.
    Passed [A] [A]

9. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

Well, we only saw the two Jayco at Burlington. Maybe we didn't't get far enough into Dehann.

10. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

True the Aframe and pups are waaaayyyy in the back. The big attention getters are usually up front.
    De Haan [I think] had the A frame, the Palomino's were at Country Campers.

11. jjg

jjg Member

I saw a commercial for the RV show this weekend. it mentioned pupswould be there. So how many do you think that means. Two or three, or lots?

12. wapwap

wapwap New Member

I would lean towards two or three based on previous experience...

13. jjg

jjg Member

I think I'll be able to see an A-frame after all. Kings Campers is having their Camper Palooza this weekend and their webpage has a 2014 StarCraft Comet A-frame listed. Free admission.

14. bildoo

bildoo New Member

Just got home from the Wausau show. I had to beg DW to go and she whined the whole 1.5 hour trip there. Once we got there here attitude changed and we had fun. I was surprised there was about 6-7 pups there, 4 A frames but only 2 hybrids. I really wanted to see more hybrids because that is what I want next. DW of course fell in love with a 26' TT. I did end up buying a motorized tripod for $125 I really like it hopefully it was a good price. www.automatic-chef.com My current campfire cooking setup works like crap. One thing I did see on a Jayco pup was the Coleman style flip down door. It did look a lot stronger than the one I had on my 82 redwood 5. I wish my Dutchmen had that. Over all the show was worth going to. Its nice to see whats new and drool a little. It got us out of the house at the cost of $12 and half a tank of gas. Now I can't wait to go camping.

15. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

I noticed tulip down door on the new Jayco, and it also had a flip down kitchen (stove and sink) too. At least that is different from the 2011.

16. jjg

jjg Member

Cool about all the pups. We will be going tmrw. Today we were at the fabric store picking up new fabric for curtains.

17. wapwap

wapwap New Member

jjg... we were out running errands today and as we drove by on the highway, king's has an a-frame right out in front. Plus it looked like there was another a little further back on their lot, but I'm not sure on that one since we were going by so fast. Sounds like between king's and the rv show with what bildoo saw, you should be doing pretty well in checking out the a-frames and pop-ups this weekend. :)

Sent from a teeny tiny keyboard via Tapatalk

18. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Got excited about the RV show until I saw that it's probably too far away for a Sunday drive from Northern IL.