Ceramic heater question

eemich10

Jul 9, 2014
Hey all- fairly newbie pup owner- we bought our first N2U this summer and have enjoyed it so far-

I have searched a bit in the forums but want a direct answer to a few things. We want to camp a few more weekends in late Sept/October and our pup does not have a furnace. We will be at a campground and I think a small ceramic heater will be fine (temps are in in the 50s at nite here in CT now)

My SO thinks it too cold. She also said NO to the heater thinking it is dangerous!?!!! Lol

So, I need you to all back me up here. Can I make it safer? A tile or something underneath? Keep it off the floor away from the dog?

eemich10

Jul 9, 2014
*** disclosure***
I grew up camping in tents, she in a Shasta. Also I grew up in Maine and I know cold!

novagirl

retired camper
Jul 13, 2011
The little electric/ceramic heaters are great! We use one and it heats our 30 foot trailer just fine. They are safe too. GO for it!

yetavon

everything is better around a campfire.
Mar 11, 2010
Western NC
Presto Heat Dish is what we have used for several years, thermostat and safety shutoff and alarm if knocked over.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
We have too small electric heaters (one is ceramic) we use in the TT to heat it on those cold October trips.. Perfectly safe, both units have tip over switches.. Just need to follow some simple common sense rules ... like avoid covering the heater with things like clothing, paper etc. set the unit on a wood cutting board if you have to set it on a soft surface... Place the heater in a location where it cannot be knocked over easily...

RhinoDave

Super Active Member
Oct 29, 2008
Lake Orion, Mi.
We use a Holmes ceramic in our 26' TT and it keeps it nice and toasty without having the main furnace kicking on. My advice would be to buy a good one and not a Walmart cheapie. I've had a few of them and they don't last long. I use this one.
Like others have stated, when hooked to Shore Power, I like to conserve propane. As long as it has a safety shutoff, you should be fine.

bfahs

Oct 5, 2013
Ceramic / electric heaters are pretty safe. Get one with a auto shutoff if it tips over. Be carefu where you place it. We put ours on the table and make sure nothing flamAmable nearby

novagirl

retired camper
Jul 13, 2011
That's the same Holmes we use, Rhino! It does a great job!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

Tyreguy

Apr 8, 2012
We use a small electric heater as well. We also have a furnace. But, like others have said- you're paying for electricity- use it! We use the heater as a primary source of heat in the evening hours. If the heater falls behind in keeping the interior warm enough, the furnace kicks on for a little boost. The system works well, and we don't use much LPG this way.

(On a side note- Its says on the heater its 'ceramic'- but I've taking it apart to clean it...and wouldn't you guess? Not one piece of ceramic anything in it!)

Haybale

I'd rather be camping!!
Aug 22, 2013
San Diego via MN
I use a ceramic and a coil electric when we have hook ups, with out hook ups I use a propane Mr Buddy and stay nice and warm!!

With electric is was down in the 20's at night and easily kept it in the upper 60's inside!! Just keep things (curtains, kids, clothes) away from it!!

Darn

Pup to Hybrid
Apr 5, 2013
We use the Holmes Ceramic heater, place it on the floor near the door pointing in, helps a lot. We also use Bunk-end Gizmo's and Reflect X around the canvas area's. One little heater can keep the chill off and putting it on the floor near the door keeps the floor warm too.

ex-tenters

Super Active Member
Jan 24, 2010
As others have said, the ceramic heater is a great addition to the PUP when you have an electrical site.

Also, it's not as noisy as the furnace, and as previously noted, you save on propane when using the ceramic heater.

We have a Lasko brand that we bought at a big box home improvement store. So far, knock on wood, no issues with it.

WL

ladypro

May 28, 2014
It's amazing what $40 or so can get you in terms of a heater (I wish AC units were that affordable!). As the others have already posted, ceramic heaters are very safe when compared to other options. I use two in the winter in my PUP and I must admit that I am somewhat paranoid about a fire. So, I always set up my smoke detector ($4 Walmart model) as well as a carbon monoxide detector for when I use the gas stove, just in case there is a problem. [:)C]

hotrodcamper

Super Active Member
Nov 3, 2012
We borrowed one last weekend. Was 36 degrees when we went to bed. Turned heater on a couple hours before we went to bed. By 5 am we turned the heater down. Started with heater on high. They do better than expected.

eemich10

Jul 9, 2014
So on that same note- what about a dehumidifier? I've seen a few small portables and wonder if the heated air they give off would warm up the pup too?

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Safe to use in a home... safe to use in a PUP... go forth and be warm.

Ours will roast us out if we don't keep it set at the right temp (which I have now etched into the t-stat dial).