CG - Draining tanks before departing

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by daschnoz, Apr 20, 2015.

1. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

Obviously (at least to most), "dirty" water would be dumped at the proper location, but what about fresh water.

Is it bad form to pop open the drain valve on the fresh water tank and the water heater while pulling out of your camp site?

2. WingShot

WingShot New Member

That's what we do. And see others doing it all the time as well.

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

If we fill the tank, we try to use it up by running it into the waste tanks to help flush, but if needed we will pull the drain on the fresh tank after leaving the dump station and heading home.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

With the pup, we would open the fresh water drain valve right before pulling off the site, this was the last thing done (even after the last chocks were pulled) just so we didn't leave a puddle for the next person (if they were checking in that day) and let the water drain as we leave the campground.

With the TT the routine is similar in many cases.. If we are leaving the campground and going to be heading home, then last thing we do as we pull out from the dump station is open the drain valve. If we are transiting from one campground to another then we carry what ever water there is along with us, so we can use the washroom and clean up dishes from making lunch and what not, theory on long trips is we have the facilities and if we stop for something like gas and need to use them we can..

5. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Very rarely do we have any water left in the tank but I always open the spicket when leaving so it can be drained by time I am home. I usually do it while leaving the park while dropping off the trash. I don't usually like to climb under at the site as alot of times the ground is wet. And don't want to leave a muddy spot.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

6. JeffC

JeffC New Member

We only drain it on the way home from our last trip before winter layup.

7. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

Thanks folks.

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Normally, I make a last check of the camper/rig before leaving the campground. This may be at the dumpsters or at some wide spot in the road. I check chains, tires, sway bar and unscrew the drain plug on the tank if it was used. All this is done after leaving the camp site.

9. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

I always do. The sloshing around during the drive home gets more water out than just opening the drain.

10. camp dad

camp dad New Member

I'm not trying to highjack this thread but, If you are staying in a campground why do you fill up your fresh water tank instead of using just using the CG water. I may be missing something here. We never use the fresh water tank unless we are camping with out hookups.

11. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Most state parks in OH/PA are electric only - no water/sewer.

12. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

^ ^ ^ what he said ^ ^ ^

With the exception of 1, our scheduled trips this year are to State Parks.

13. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

About half the spots we camp there is no water at the site. and no one has water as good as ours at home...
    We bring waterjugs from home for us, theres is for washing and such....
    I may put a few gallons on board at home for the longer trips in case we need to make a pit stop, but in general the tank is empty when traveling.

14. camp dad

camp dad New Member

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. Here in the South most all sites are power and water for a basic site. The thought of the sites in the northern states not having water didn't cross my mind.

15. JeffC

JeffC New Member

When we use sites they generally don't have water or power.

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

90% of the parks we stay at are Hydro only sites ...

17. gruss

gruss Active Member

Always find it interesting poking around here and how the different regions have totally different idea of what campgrounds offer. Up here in IN, MI, OH I don't think I've ever seen a state park with water at the site. Private campgrounds do quite a bit but you pay double.

wonder if the ones down south have water since they don't have to worry about them freezing in the winter? Plumbing a campground has to pretty spendy, fixing it just as bad I would imagine.

18. camp dad

camp dad New Member

After I though about my question, I can up with that reasoning. I have never been to a CG that didn't have a water hookup. I have however stayed a time or two with only water and no power. I am sure it has to do with the temperature difference between the regions.

19. WingShot

WingShot New Member

If were not boondocking, it's dry camping in National Forest CG's. No hook-ups whatsoever. Regardless of water being available, our drinking supply comes from the tap at home.

20. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I always fill our water tank before going to a CG even if the CG does have water hook up. I like to be prepared for if some reason the CG's water system is not working. As for emptying the water tank like others I open the drain before pulling out of the site.