Chains shrunk! Ha hah.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
We have a 2011 aliner and we can't get the safety chains to criss cross, the used to, we don't know why they won't, but my question would be if we got longer ones, the ones we have now are 20" each, what do we need to know about before purchasing. Thanks for any help, this is a huge pain. It makes no sense at all. But I don't know what else to try.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Are you using a receiver hitch? It could be that you changed hitches and ended up with one that protrudes out further than it did previously.

I would go with a pair of 5,000 pound safety chains, 7/16" link. I several options on etrailer.com and they're a reputable place to get trailer parts. I see a safety chain there with those specs for like $18 each.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
pull to the right a tad and hook up one chain, pull to the left and hook up the other.
or drive over a bump (or bricks, 2x4s, barbies, ...) and stop and hook em up ...
If the chains are that tight, DO NOT USE THEM. Replace them or get the properly rated quick links and chain segments (needs to meet or exceed the GVWR of the PUP/trailer).

Last edited:

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
I thought you would use “KneesFoot” Oil. 😳
I use Loctite medium to secure the barrel locking where it screws onto the link; keeps idiots from unscrewing 'em & wandering off lol, plus I've seen 'em unscrew on their own after time. I use Neatsfoot Oil on a whip the wife uses on me to keep it soft & supple [8D]