Chainsaw Carving?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by Bobcat 503, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Bobcat 503

Bobcat 503 New Member

Just out of curiosity!! Does any one chainsaw carve while camping?? Of course, this only works if your boondocking!! Well away from any people. We like to go hide in the San Juans in Colorado. For some reason they cut and leave stumps about 3 to 4 feet tall. I v thought about carving something simple (not that Im that good at it just started a yr ago) and leaving it there to see if it would be there the next time we visit that sight. What do ya think the odds on that are!?!?? Any one else do such a thing?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Not camping, but I have made a few tables that look like a mushroom. They are simple to make and make a good patio piece.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be taking a chainsaw to anything in the forest. You admitted that you don't know the reason the stumps were left in that manner.

4. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Used to carry a small chainsaw when off-roading in NF in the spring or after a large storm to cut up trees that had fallen over a road/trail, but ALWAYS either checked with a FS LE ranger or called the station. And I always took a photo of the tree over the road/trail before cutting it up and moving the pieces off the road.

I agree with TomBiasi, never cut trees or stumps in a NF without first contacting someone, with some authority working in the FS. Besides, many of us might like the look of a normal tree stump vs. some character carved by a human since that, in my opinion, changes the natural effect. (Just my opinion.)

They might be left tall for a reason, might be that the cutters were lazy.

5. Bobcat 503

Bobcat 503 New Member

Sometimes while the rest of the family is out on a walk, I start eyeballing the stumps and start seeing things in them that need to be let out.

6. Bobcat 503

Bobcat 503 New Member

Checked with the FS. The guy I spoke with said as long as I purchased a wood permit ($15) or so and as long as the saws are legal shouldn't be a problem. It's in an area that is open to fuel wood. Did kinda laugh at me when I said I was curious if they would stay there long!!! Didn't mean that I wouldn't follow the laws of the land

7. tombiasi

I wasn't trying to play lord of the woods I just thought you should be aware that it may be frowned upon. I have been to places where it was not allowed to even tie a hammock to a tree.

8. Bobcat 503

Bobcat 503 New Member

No harm no foul. I too have been in places where you can't seem to do anything outside of very specific designated areas. Takes some of the fun away sometimes. This forest is fairly lax. As long as you don't cut live trees they don't mind you taking the dead and down. I believe your still not supposed to transport out of state though. I've been to some places where there a carving in the middle of nowhere and thought it was pretty cool. As far as the tall stumps, the only thing I can think of is that area was logged in the winter time with snow on the ground.

9. tombiasi

Loggers have many reasons for leaving a stump high. The bell is not suitable for the mill is one. They use the stumps in further harvesting and as blocks for downed logs. There is also the fact that it's easier on the back not to cut low.[:D]