Champion 3500/4000 Watt Generator!!!

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by fishguy1313, Jul 8, 2009.

1. fishguy1313

fishguy1313 New Member

I bought a Champion 3500/4000 Watt generator today at "Tractor Supply." There are 125 reviews for it on Cabela's.com. It rates 4.6 stars out of 5. That's pretty good. It's set up for RV'ers with a 120V/30Amp RV hookup, voltmeter, 68db noise level, and 11 hour run time on 4 gallons of gas. I only paid $299.99 for it. That's pretty cheap power. We'll see how long it lasts. Sometimes you get what you pay for!!!
    Now I can get down by the water away from all the other campers that are squeezed in!! I think a lot of the non-electric/primitive spots are better scenery than electricals. I plan on taking the pup down to the river for a few nights soon, so this will work out great!!!

2. fishguy1313

fishguy1313 New Member

I just wanted to add... I used this generator last night and it worked like a champ! No issues. Hopefully it will continue to perform the same way!

3. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

Not to be condescending, but is that how your neighbors are going to feel after hearing your generator? I'm glad you got a good deal, but please encourage consideration for the site next door.

However, if "next door" is a couple of miles away, I don't care if you have marching bands in your site!!! [:D]

Again, I don't wish to be obtuse, but please remember that some folks might read this to mean, "oh, cool, a generator is a good option for power anywhere I camp." It ain't so.

4. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We have this generator and only use it at the races. It isn't a honda, but it ain't a contractor generator either. We keep it about 10 - 15 feet behind the pup and built a quiet box. Just don't run the AC and hair dryer at the same time? DW learned that lesson the hard way. This generator does do a good job. Good Luck and don't let the nay sayers get to you. We all gotta do what we gotta do [A]

5. fishguy1313

fishguy1313 New Member

If you read the original post, I stated that, "now I can get away from all the other campers...." Next time read a little more into it. Your post does sound a little obtuse.

6. getndusty

getndusty pull up a stump and sit a spell

What is the the max db level for generators at most campgrounds?

7. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

My apology, Fishguy. I didn't mean to offend. [:!] My comments weren't meant directly to you; I meant to speak about how it might be interpreted (by other readers, some whom might be new to the camping experience) that a generator would be a good power option no matter where they are camping. I can see why you would feel slighted my my comment, so again, I apologize.

And Getndusty's question raises an important issue: what is the max db level? I don't think I've ever heard such a thing listed, and who would enforce it anyways? I can see rangers with sound meters running around looking for loud generators [LOL] . I think that's why they either say yea or nay to generators all together in certain campgrounds, or certain portions of certain campgrounds. Would one say that too loud is when it's heard in the next campsite, or perhaps, when it affects the neighbors camping "experience"? Who's to judge what is too much, when it would be different for everyone.

In my opinion, in the context of the state parks I frequent, I feel that generators should not be permitted, period. It just doesn't make sense to me to operate a generator (with it's initial cost, maintainence, fuel requirements and noise and exhaust emissions), when the same result can be obtained for $4 more per night by plugging into the electrical post. Again, this is all just my [2C]. And, again, this is only for the type of camping I do, which is in State parks with campsites relatively close to each other, where loud music and noisy conversations (and probably my kids as well...) can be just as much an nuisance as generators.

[:!] So know I'm going to hit the "Post" button, and see if Steve kicks me off the board.... [:(]
    :shocked:

8. rabidcoyote97

rabidcoyote97 New Member

That sounds like a great deal, fishguy. I've been looking at used generators of roughly the same size and the prices are the same if not more. [:O]

I have no battery and was seriously considering making that upgrade. However, when I look at the price of getting the battery/charger, plus the battery box, and the connection from the battery to the 12v plug-in, it's not much more to invest in the generator. And, I know that if I get in a pinch around the house, it can help me there as well.

9. fishguy1313

fishguy1313 New Member

I guess it's kind of a personal choice. There are so many campgrounds that are STRICTLY primitive around here. There is no extra "$4.00" and you get electric. There is none! Further more, the campgrounds that have little or no electric are usually attended by very few. A generator isn't going to hurt anybody's feelings. I don't reccomend a generator if you are going to a busy campground at all. I wouldn't want someone aiming there "muffler" right at my site!

Most campgrounds around here want "campground approved generators." I think the max decibel allowed is 68db. That is what I have. Some of the more expensive brands of generators are much more quiet than this one. I didn't need to spend the extra money for the kind of camping I do.

10. getndusty

I have a 1200 what generator that i use when I am boone docking. It is quiet enough that you can have a normal conversation while standing right over top of it. Actually, I don't think it is much louder than my AC unit on my camper. But I only use it to keep the battery charged or it is there for extra's should I get rained in.

11. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

This is just my personal opinion, thats all, not meant to offend anyone, I have a 5000wt Robin Subaru generator in the shed, we have used for emergency power outages, it runs at 68 dbl's, and it is way too loud for use in any campground, at least I wouldn't subject my neighbors to it, nor would I wish to be subjected to it. I do not think that anything louder then 60 dbl's is quiet enought for use when camping near others. When off by yourself it wouldn't matter. Our next scheduled trip, there is no electric or water hookup, no bathrooms, only porta potties, and I would like to bring the generator along, but I won't.

It's really kind of funny, here at home for years when the power would go out and we could hear the neighbors running theirs, we used to call them names and everything, then we could afford one and now we're "those bastards". But even at home we don't run it until powers out a few hours, and then only for the refridgerator, and pellet stove if it's winter and we need heat, and we run a cord to the lady next door for her fridge.

We waited so long to be able to afford one here at the house, I just find it really hard to justify the cost of one of those quiet little Hondas, etc, for camping. I want one, just can't bring myself to do it.

12. getndusty

I have a 5500w also and yes it is way to loud. It is only for power outages. I use my 1200w for my camper but only when camping alone on private property. I usually ony run it during the day for charging but I was very surprised how low the noise was in camp. If I were at a CG I would deffinately be plugged into their power. After all, that is why I bought a pup and got off the floor of the tent. [:D]

13. bobjones1

bobjones1 New Member

well my od Jayco never had a 12 volt system and being in Texas I need a/c- the big rv's have their generators in sound deadened boxes on the rig and I don't find them too loud on the newer rigs- so if I built a sound deadening box would it still be too loud? what yall think?

14. bobjones1

bobjones1 New Member

Fishguy that generator sounds like the right size/price for me!! I've heard u gotta have one with pure sinewave or something for Electronics? anyone know scoop on this?

15. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

You need an inverter generator like a Honda or Yamaha. It literally takes the power generated from DC back to AC which takes all the spikes out. If you want your computer and hi def TV's to keep functioning, don't use a cheap generator.

Next opinion - if you camp in public campgrounds with neighbors, IMHO you should be using an ultra quiet generator. Not all of them are as expensive as a Honda or Yamaha. And you should be battery equipped so you can shut down the generator by evening. I understand "event" camping like a NASCAR race is a different story, but if you choose a primitive campground, chances are that your neighbors planned on peace and quiet as part of their experience, not a generator humming day and night.

16. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

Well said.

17. getndusty

I agree also.

18. Tebpac

Tebpac Member

We have a Honda 1000w inverter generator. Very quiet, but even so, I hook up our extension cord to the PUP elec. cord and put it behind a tree at the back of the camp site. Where we camp, it's a loop with no one behind us. The sites are big and spread apart with mature trees and brush in between. I always check to see how loud it is by walking down the road each way near the other camp sites. I can't hear it by the time I get to the next site, If I do, I try to dampen it down more. An old cooler works well with the lid off and one side cut out.........

19. BlitzK

BlitzK New Member

I have the same Champion generator. I've been using it about 2 years now and love it.

No, it's nowhere near as quiet as a Honda, but it's also 1/4 of the cost and way more power.

Just make sure you change the oil often. First 10 hours and then every 50 hours or so (which isn't much use!). It only takes 1/2qt and is easy to change. It will start and then die
    when the oil gets too low, it might look fine on the dip stick but add a bit and try.

Very few generators are able to provide 30a on a single circuit. Many that have the 4 pin plugs offer 2 15a circuits which you can only tie into one of them.

20. cerumen

cerumen New Member

Throwing in some sound stats because it is what I do.

Normal conversation level about 45-50dB. Sound pressure is halved and the distance from the sound source is doubled. So the annoyance of any generator is obviously going to be more or less the more tightly packed you are.

Hearing damage occurs over time at levels of repeated exposure starting at 85 dB for periods of 8 hours or more. Even in the boonies camping with a loud generator for days on end isn't good for you.

That said I would love a generator and to know how people are constructing their "noise" boxes?