Change 13” tires to 14” on a 2018 Aliner Scout Park ok?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by ToniB, May 6, 2020.

1. ToniB

ToniB New Member

Wanting to change the China made tires, 13”, that came with it to Goodyear Endurance trailer tires but their smallest is 14”. Has anyone done this? What complications am I looking at, if any? Thanks!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The thing you have to worry about is clearance.
    Not sure of the tire size you have now but as an example
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 9.06.37 PM.png

And a 14inch endurance

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 9.02.17 PM.png

is over two inches larger in diameter. Thats an inch more at any per of the tire...... do you have that much room for it.
    There is an option of raising the body higher on its axle, but that's a lot of work just to buy Goodyears.

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Im sure you know this but you will need new wheels too.

4. ToniB

ToniB New Member

Thank you both, and yes, we knew we’d need different wheels. Our current tires are three years old, and originals and that makes us nervous. We’ve heard good things about Maxxis, too....

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Maxxis is a good tire. What are the "markings" on your tires now ........size, load range, radial? And tell us about the year, make and model of your camper?

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Title on post says "2018 Aliner Scout Park". Maybe ToniB will update her profile.

7. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I went from 12's up to 13's on my Pup with no clearance problems at all. Your Aliner may be different, but I would think you could get an extra inch of tire in the wheel well. I didn't really measure anything, I just got down and had a good look as to weather something a bit bigger would fit in there. These are my smaller 12's, and the 13's I replaced them with....

20180405_171306.jpg

20180405_171422.jpg

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Thats a big difference ..... glad you had the room.

9. Wrenchgear

Yeah, split the difference between top and bottom and its only about 1 1/2 inches maybe.

Before and after, sorry I don't have better pictures than this.

Trailer 2.jpg

Trailer 1.jpg

vaderhater22 and shuang2 like this.
  10. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

You changed tire dimensions as well though right?

11. ToniB

ToniB New Member

Tires (originals) are “Load Star” tubeless radial 13”. Markings on tire say 8PR LOAD RANGE D and ATA 1517 0090. I’ll update my profile!

12. Wrenchgear

Yes, a little taller, a little wider, and a little stronger, (sounds like the 6 million dollar man). I always thought that the 12's that mine came with looked a little small for the trailer. I also wanted to get a set of those aluminum rims, so it all worked out good when it was time to need new tires. Tire mounted to rim was about $100 for each combo.

13. Wrenchgear

Loadstar tires are made by Kenda I believe. I've never heard much bad about those tires. If they are only 3 years old and visually look to be in good shape as far as tread wear and sidewall cracks, I'd be using them for a few more years. A lot of people on here say 5 years is the magic number for tire age, but I have gone way past that numerous times. I'm not saying that you should, but tires that are only 3 years old should have lots of life left in them.

14. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Definitely looks a lot better. I just put on Carslise Radial trail HD's on mine. Speed rate at 81mph and a load range of D. It seemed to pull so much smoother than my other tires.

Wrenchgear likes this.
  15. ToniB

ToniB New Member

Well, hmmm! Now I’m not sure!!!

16. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

I've been looking at replacing my tires, which are the Loadstar with a manufacture date of 3115 and, quite frankly, the more I read about them the more I may just decide to run them one more season, at least. I tow probably 4 times a year for an average of 200 miles per tow and keep my tires covered when not towing, so I might very well have a little life left in them. If I don't HAVE to replace them might as well save myself a few dollars - for something else, of course. LOL.
    I'll make it a point to inspect them very closely when I move it soon.

17. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

The Aliner off-road package comes with the 14’s. The off-road package come with a different axle that provides another 3 inches of lift. You will need to change your axle or you may have some rubbing problems with the larger tires.

ToniB likes this.
  18. ToniB

ToniB New Member

I don’t know... The price of 2 tires is worth it for the peace of mind, esp if they’re 5 yrs old, I think...

jackquontee likes this.
  19. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

And that is why I was originally considering it but, I'm also tired of spending money "just because." Kind of like throwing away food because the manufacturer has put an expiration date on the package.

20. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

This is us too, we have the Kendas as well, look in good shape, but the tires are one thing that I could see really messing up a trip, not to mention a camper. This year we were planning on replacing the wheels (which is too bad because Aliner stock aluminum wheels are so nice!) and getting goodyear tires or something similar but we probably will need to wait now. We had our Scout lifted when we bought it so there should certainly be plenty of room but I think you'd probably be fine without it, if you need it I don't think it's very expensive. If you do this please let us know how it goes and what it costs!