Change 13” tires to 14” on a 2018 Aliner Scout Park ok?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by ToniB, May 6, 2020.

1. Lisa Riley

Lisa Riley New Member

We bought a 1990 Coleman last fall with 12" tires. The first thing we did was went to the local tire dealer and had the springs flipped (they built a bracket) and put 14" tires on. It increased our clearance by 5 inches, along with allowing us the peace of mind knowing those tiny tires weren't going to be rotating quite as fast!

2. JohnWI

JohnWI Member

I am forever debating changing my 5.30 12" to either the smallest 13" or going to a 12" radial which would be a tiny bit shorter. Last year we did 11,000mi in 11wks. I changed out 7 year old tires about 600 miles in as I was in a good place and concerned about dry rot. And then about 4,000 mi later when I spotted a bulge on one (so I did both) at another convenient location.

There might be some good logic in just changing yours out more frequently rather than systemically. Keeps them newer by changing out often and better than on the side of the road.

3. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander Member

Some folks use the Maxxis tires since they are available in 13" in load range D which allows for towing at 22 mph faster without blowing up. I already had 14" wheels on my Aliner so I now have the Goodyear Endurance tires that are load range D.

Until recently Goodyear did not compete in the load range D realm. Past tire blowout experience with Goodyear tires is a good reason to hold out for load range D. C tires are the cheap way to go.

The D's are inflated to a higher pressure, can handle more weight, and the needed contact area with the pavement is lower due to PSI x square inches of contact area (lowered) to carry the load means less flexing of the tires. That means less heating while towing at a higher freeway speed for long distances in hot weather. This means less chance of a blowout.

Goodyear has a chart of required inflation pressure versus load on the tire to get the optimum contact area. The more the weight the higher the required pressure. Hope this helps. You can find tire information such as the mentioned chart in the files for the FB group called "Aliner".

4. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

I forgot about this too, do the D range do up to 85mph? Not that I'd want to go that fast but being restricted to 60mph costs a LOT of time when going long distances, even going 70 would really help. That's one hour for every six hours driven.