Change if plans

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by stacey short, Feb 13, 2019.

1. stacey short

stacey short Member

When I first post it was about my up coming family vacation. Well we are still planning our vacation but not with the camper. I have a lot of work to do with the camper before it hits the road. All the information that I gather from popupportal made it impossible for me to take my trip with pup. I was planning a Key Largo and Orlando Fl. vacation from NC. I will take the Pup first trip in July now, and we will be NC at Sunset beach. Which is still very nice. I am a little disappoint to say, however I will feel more comfortable on the road because if what I learned from fellow campers. I Thank everyone so much for the reality check.

Redbird234 likes this.
  2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Hang in there and take it easy one task at a time and you will be ready to camp sooner than later.

stacey short likes this.
  3. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

From one newbie to another…

Seriously, I hope you're not over-thinking it. Do a weekend in your driveway, or at a local CG, to get a feel for things. But if you're not comfortable taking it on a long trip just yet, that's perfectly valid. Personally, I want to do several local-ish trips (<100 miles) this year myself, and plan the longer trips next year.

Just remember, this is supposed to be fun!

stacey short likes this.
  4. stacey short

stacey short Member

Well I hope I'm not because that is very much what I do. I rather be safe then sorry. However, I wanted new tires because I'm not sure how much more these will last. Then I must grease my barrens. Reseal my canvas. Then change my vent up top because it is weathered. Then sealed the steamship top then reseal top with that rubber stuff to make sure my roof doesn't leak. Than I would like to buy some memory foam and pads for the bed. I need some thermal covers for the bunk so the sun.doesn't run us out. Extension cord for the main power supply and a few more important things.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  5. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

The extension cord is definitely worthwhile, especially for dry runs.

But as for the rest? If the roof/bunk ends don't leak, why not try it out at a local CG—or even in your driveway? Lord knows, this is the rainy season in the SE. You might have to, like I did Sunday afternoon, take a towel to the top of the bunk ends to sop up the moisture before folding it up. The whole point is to identify the kinks, and then decide whether they really need some attention.

Mason and I might be able to deal with the current padding, but memory foam is something we're likely to need once we talk Mrs. Fetched into joining us. The thermal covers can likely wait until May.

(And, given the state of things from the PO, repacking the bearings is something we should look into as well.)

stacey short likes this.
  6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Of those, as long as it’s not leaking, the only necessary things are tires (good call to replace before a long trip), bearings, and extension cord. I’d add a an extra hose too be be safe. I have to use the extra hose way more often than the 30A extension cord.

Tires and bearings can be done in the driveway in an hour. A tool like this makes it a lot easier

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-34550-Handy-Packer-Bearing/dp/B0002NYDYO/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1I38QJ6G09OZ0&keywords=bearing+packer&qid=1550327129&s=gateway&sprefix=Bearing+,aps,153&sr=8-5

Or if time is more important than money or if you don’t feel comfortable doing the work, call around to local trailer shops (not RV dealers as they will be much higher) and have them do the tires and bearings at the same time.

That said, there’s nothing worse than constantly stressing out on vacation. So if taking the pup would cause that, no worries about leaving it at home. There’s plenty of time to enjoy it at a more relaxed pace. It will be waiting when you get home. :smiley:

stacey short likes this.