changing a flat

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by mkaczala, Jul 6, 2010.

1. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

Coming back home from a camping trip this past fourth of july weekend I saw someone changing a flat on their PUP on the side of the road. I did not stop to help because they were traveling with a group and looked like they had plenty of hands to help. It then occured to me that I'm not sure if I would know how to change a tire on my PUP if I had to. I have changed several flat tires on my cars over the years but not sure if it is the same for a PUP. I imagine that I would use my car jack and accesseries to make the change, is that correct? Also is their a particular place to position jack under PUP? Finally do the lug nuts come off in same manor as car? I know all these questions seem pretty silly and basic but have never done it so not completely sure. Anyone have any input, Thanks.

2. hammer1234

hammer1234 New Member

Good question...I'm also asking since I don't have/see any tools with the pop-up to change a tire out.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You should practice changing the tires at home. A bottle jack or old ford ranger screw jack works well. The jack should be short enough to go under the axle at the spring, with a flat tire. That is the only place to jack the frame is not strong enough. A good solid lug wrench or breaker bar with the correct size socket will be needed. Maybe different size than your TV's. Also practicing at home your can make should the nuts are removable and then retighten the correct amount.

4. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Another thought - drop the stabilizer(s) on the side you jack up, so if the jack slips, the camper won't come crashing down. I have an extra scissor jack that works great too.

Having a lug wrench with the right-sized socket is a killer - it is fairly probably that your TV's lug wrench won't fit your camper!

Another thing to have handy is a can of fix-a-flat. While it can't help a shredded tire, if all you have is a puncture, having the alternative to just shoot it with the can until you can get to a garage, or at least a safe spot to change the tire.

5. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

You should also try to guess how low the pup would be if the tire is flat to make sure the jack will fit under the pup. I also use a bottle jack and I keep a breaker bar and socket in the pup.

6. gkraps

gkraps Member

When I am towing the Pup, I always carry my garage floor jack and 4 way lug wrench. My lugs are not lug nuts on a stud but rather lug bolts, which can make it a little more difficult to mount a spare tire.

Most important is to make sure you are as far off of the roadway as possible and make sure the jack is on something solid. Your leveling blocks work real well. This is no place to have something slip!

7. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

I have used a ( as mentioned ) 4 way Lug wrench and an old scissors jack had lying around. Of course, chock opposite wheel.

8. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

[​IMG]

9. Woodzeke

Woodzeke New Member

As other have stated practice changing the tire at home. On my first pup, used Starcraft, I had to change the dry rotted tires, and install trailer brakes. This is when I found out the lug nuts on the spare tire carrier were a different size than the lug nuts on the hubs. A four way lug wrench would have been a must. I would have not known where to jack on the frame if it wasn't for reading post on this site. Make sure your jack will fit under the frame when the tire is flat.

10. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

First - I would verify that the jack under the hood (or supplied with your TV) will work. The one in my Blazer would not because it has this 'nub' on the top that is designed to fit into spots on the frame of the car. I tried it once on the PUP and it seemed very unstable, like it could easily slide off this nub on the jack. I just carry my little floor jack.

A four way lug wrench or breaker bar with the appropriate 6 POINT socket is a must. Don't assume the lug sizes on your TV are the same as you PU.

Personally, I would never use the stabs as jack stands when changing the tire. But, I suppose that's a matter of preference.

11. ARWCanuck

ARWCanuck Member

I'm going to chime in and agree with everyone who says to practice at home first. I wish I had. Last year we went on a trip, and I blew a tire on the 401 (major highway in Ontario). The jack and lug wrench for my van wouldn't work for my trailer, so I had to call CAA to change the tire for me.

12. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Probably not a bad idea to break your lugs loose at home every so often, too. Beats having one frozen up on you along the highway. And the ultimate of all flat tire scenarios would be to bust a stud off along the highway.

Never use a penetrant like PB Blaster or WD40 if you can help it. This could cause the lugs to 'back off' while going down the highway. Always use a six point socket or lug wrench. 12 point sockets can round the lug nuts off if they're stubborn.

13. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Helped a fellow pupper out back in February that had called AAA and they said it may be a couple of hours. Jack from the Jeep and we always carry the 4-way lug wrench in the front box. Withen 20 minutes we and they were on our way home....

14. jcjeep

jcjeep New Member

not an easy task....... i just got a flat a couple of days ago (shredded to pieces). i thought i would have a jack and everything included in the pop-up but... no! and like many have said, the one from my car doesn't work on the pop-up + the lugs holding the spare are not the same size as the ones on the wheel. thank god for geico roadside assistance:) i sure need to buy some tools before my next trip!

15. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Dexter Axle, who probably makes most of the axles used in the RV market, says NOT TO jack the camper by any of the suspension components, including the axle ~

MISCELLANEOUS - Is it okay to jack up my trailer?
    Dexter recommends that you do not jack up the trailer on the suspension components because there is always the potential for damage. Bent hangers, leaf springs, or axle tubes can cause bad axle alignment with bad tire wear resulting. Also, many trailer builders do not use Dexter hangers and we have no idea how strong these hangers may or may not be. Therefore, we take the conservative approach and recommend jacking up only on the trailer frame.

When I bought my Starcraft there was a seperate sheet in the new owner's folder (along with the owner manual), and said to jack-up the camper by the main frame rails at a point just behind the rear spring hanger/shackle, which would be just to the rear of the tire.

16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You would never want to jack up in the center of the axle, but if the spring is strong enough to hold up the POP, then that's where I am going to jack in up on, spring to axle mounting spot. You would bend a c channel frame rail before you bend a leaf spring. [2C]

17. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I'd have to bet on the c-channel frame being stronger than the axle tube. And, are not about all popup camper main frames tube or boxed, rather then c-channel(?)

18. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I just went through this jacking up the Saratoga to change out a tire on the street side. I had to put the jack under the frame rail behind the tire, where it meets a crossmember. Lifting the axle isn't an option - aside from the fact that it may damage the axle, it also lifts the tire up into the wheel well, making it almost impossible to pull off.

19. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

I have a forest River 725D. The only place to jack it up is the flange right behind the tire. This was also the answer from forest river when I asked about it. I have had to change 2 tires due to dry-rot. Have new tires now. Both we on the road side. Suggest you look at the other post about changing a tire. I know I am purchasing some cones, a vest and calling the police to have them sit behind me with lights on to keep traffic away from me from now on.

20. TempestT-37

TempestT-37 New Member