Changing GM brake lines

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by 1380ken, Dec 13, 2019.

1. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

My TV broke a brake line last week. It is a 2006 Escalade, the brake lines are terribly rusted. I guess this is a common GM issue. If you have a GM truck you should inspect your lines. Glad this didn't happen last summer driving down Mt Washington.
    I bought a full set of pre bent lines and am going to change the front lines and master cylinder lines this weekend. Looks to be a pain. I think I need to jack the body off of the frame a little to run the lines.

J Starsky and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Common problem

3. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Good post to let people know. I replaced a couple of my lines 2 years ago as per the suggestion of a mechanic. Glad I did because I was heading to Vermont camping and I shudder to think what may have happened if a line let go while I was in the Green Mountains.

4. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

I think they even have stainless for GM lines now. it's such a common issue.

5. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

Common issue on all brands in the salt belt.. i'v replaced many hard brake lines on my vehicles. A local inspection mechanic should have caught it sooner. Soft lines are periodic maintenance.

For routing the new lines you can bend the line gingerly over a longer section, being careful not to kink. Restraighten as you go.. best done on a vehicle lift vs on ground.

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

We get our vehicles oil sprayed every Fall here in southern Ont., before the salt hits the road. It costs about $80 to get it done. They go inside the doors, all around under the hood, up in the fenders, in the tail gates, and the entire chassis. They will drill access holes into panels that they can't into, and I have no problem with that if it saves a whole door from rotting out. It can be a little tough on suspension rubbers and weatherstripping as years go by, but that takes about 10 years to start effecting that stuff. It saves any steel lines under there, even though fuel lines and evap lines and such are mostly all plastic now. I haven't had a brake line rot through in 30 years since I started oil spraying every year. My 2001 Caravan had all original brake lines when it went to the wrecker in 2017.

7. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

You won't need to separate the body in my experience, but you'll need to be a contortionist... I do this work on the ground, in the dirt, and jack all 4 corners up with rims to support the unit safely. Safety 1st and 3rd

I have a 2001 Tahoe, which in MN means I had to replace all the brake lines a while ago. I have done many different vehicles. The trick I use is to leave the old lines in place, and run my new lines right next to the original rusty lines where removing the old line would certainly mean destroying fuel lines or cause other problems.

At each location where they round a corner and/or for long straight runs, I cut and slit 1 inch pieces of bulk rubber hose and zip tie in place. Without that rubber "bushing", the lines will surely fail early due to line movement or rubbing. For the front end loop under the radiator to the pass side, I did remove 100% of those lines (and all the line feeding the front end and coming down from the booster, actually). I did not buy the replacement line kit, as doing things the way I want, the line might grow by and inch or so. I've had shops tell me what a good job I'd done, when inspection my rides.

I wish you good luck~! Keep those safety glasses on for all that rusty fun [:(O][MOD][HH]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. 1380ken

I ended up only changing the one broken line. The rest of the front look good. I need to change the rear in the spring. Was a big pain. I think that I would of been better off making my own lines.

J Starsky likes this.
  9. J Starsky

SO happy it went well for you~! I dread it most of the time, but the projects are usually done in a day. Good hearing it went well. You're up $750 labor LOL Cool

1380ken likes this.
  10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

For those who make their own lines there is NiCad line, easily bent by hand and won't rust

1380ken likes this.
  11. 1380ken

Speaking of strange GM issues. The Escalade has 150,000 miles, I had the transmission rebuilt at the beginning of September. About three weeks later I started hearing a popping or clunking type noise . It sounded like it was from the driver side front and you could feel it under your foot on the drivers side. It wasn't a u joint type noise. It seemed to make the noise under light acceleration when hitting bumps or turns. If you coasted over bumps it would only make the noise sometimes. It got progressively worse over the next few weeks. It sounded like the torsion bars were loose. I checked everything under the truck. I changed the upper and lower ball joints, upper control arm, tie rods, stabilizer bar end links.The wheel bearings were recently changed. I read on line that the body mounts, the driver side #2 mount to be exact, could cause this strange noise. So I changed the body mount, it didn't help. Everytime I changed something I would hear the noise as soon as I backed out of the garage. I then started to think that it could be the transfer case. I was planning to bring it to the transmission garage to check the transfer case and front differential, when the brake line blew.
    After I fixed the brake line . I backed out of the garage and was afraid to even think it, but the noise was gone! I drove around for a test drive, good brakes, no noise! When I did the brake line I loosened all the body mounts and lifted the body. The noise must of been from the body mounts. I think that I tightened down the body in a lucky spot. I am going to buy a complete body mount kit and change all of them in the spring.

J Starsky likes this.
  12. J Starsky

For another rustbelt PSA, while you're under there inspecting your brake lines, you owe it to your TV to look at the gas tank straps. This is a photo the wife sent me just yesterday from the 2001 Tahoe, now her daily driver...

I hear it will be 30+ degrees later this week. Guess where I'll be hanging out? Strap Land:

tahoe strap2.jpg

neighbormike and 1380ken like this.
  13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

This is a problem on all truck brands. I had a '02 F150 were the brake line rusted thru where is runs above the gas tank. It's the brine they use when they spray the roads before a storm! That stuff is more destructive then salt! My mechanic says he replaces more brakes lines in the last 10 years then years prior. That's here in northern NJ.

When our son purchased his '96 F250, the previous owner replaced all the brake line with stainless steel lines. Not sure why manufacturers don't do this. it's a safety issue! When the brake line ruptured on my truck my wife was driving it on rt 10 here is Morris County. It scared the crap out of her!

J Starsky likes this.
  14. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Wow. I have a unicorn GM van and have decided to essentially restore rather than replace. I have a clunk left front as well and I'm chasing it. Mine is rotational though. Front diff was just rebuilt. Bearings done. Have new half shafts waiting to be done. One thing I noticed when I did the wheel bearing is the pads are crazy loose in there. I may order new carriers for the calipers. They have rusted away over the years. GM and PA do not get along well. My German cars may be a nightmare in another way, but the heavy use of galvanized panels and aluminum bits makes a huge difference.

J Starsky likes this.
  15. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

Did your brake line look something like this?
    1568833022584.jpg
    I found this while running a new front line. (And this wasnt the one that was leaking!) Changed everything after seeing this

Spridle, J Starsky and 1380ken like this.
  16. J Starsky

Isn't that fun looking... Good Times~!