charge my batt

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by shieldstimothy, Aug 15, 2013.

1. shieldstimothy

shieldstimothy New Member

Hi everyone just had a dumb question. i have never owned a pup up till last week. just wanted to know if i plug the wire that goes to the 110v outlet into my generator will it charge my battery in the camper???
    Thanks
    and sorry for the dumb questions.

2. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

It is suppose to, but you need to verify the converter is changing the 110v ac to 12v dc and that it is actually charging the battery.

FYI: for campers +12v is the black wire and -12v is the white wire....usually.
    Some times the fuse the the battery charging circuit pops.
    Also the white ground wire (-12v) has a tendency to rust/corrode where it is attached to the frame.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Not sure what you mean here. If you are referring to the electrical cord that comes out of the PUP and plugs into an external AC electrical source (what is commonly called shore power), then yes, if your PUP's converter has charging circuitry (most made in the last decade do) you will be charging you battery. However, a better way to charge the PUP's battery is to get a smart, 3-stage charger. It can monitor the battery's internal status and make adjustments as necessary while charging. You would plug the battery charger into the external AC power source and then connect it to the PUP battery. It is best to disconnect the battery from the PUP (just take the white/negative wire off) while charging this way.

Always charge the battery to 100% before and after each trip and at least once a month between trips. Check the electrolyte frequently to be sure it covers the plates in each cell. If not, add distilled water. Always disconnect the battery (remove that white wire) when the camper is not being used so as to prevent the LP, CO and smoke detectors from slowly drawing the battery down.

4. timothias

timothias New Member

Connect the clamps to the battery BEFORE plugging into the AC power source. Many chargers energize the leads as soon as you plug it in, and if they touch they will arc and blow a fuse.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Good point, timothias. I was just talking about general points and not specific procedure. You are certainly correct.

6. ben31popup

ben31popup Take me camping! Annual Average - 28 days

You can find out about the battery charging, if you look up the converter. The model should be listed somewhere in your paperwork, inside the sink box, or just look at the converter itself. Get the make and medol. Then look it up online. You will find out if it has a three stage charger built in (mine does). You then don't need an external charger, just plug in your trailer.

If you are wondering if the power is getting to your battery, you'll need a volt meter. With the PUP unplugged and no external charger hooked up, check the voltage of your battery (be sure to correctly match + and - leads). Write that down. Then plug in your PUP. Check the battery voltage again. If the voltage is higher, it is working.

There are other threads in the forums to troubleshoot battery issues if you need more help.

7. shieldstimothy

Thanks everyone that was a big help. i found that the wire going to the battery is missing its fuse. is that a 20amp fuse???

8. ben31popup

You can try it, if you have one. I'll need to look at my book, this weekend to see what it says. The fact that the fuse is missing might be cause to take a little while, before you head out, to make sure it is working.

If you need to check the wire, you should be able to follow it underneath the PUP. most I've seen are under there.

Good luck and again, welcome.

9. shieldstimothy

When i bought the pop up the battery abd fuse were not included in the sale or should i say the owner did not have the battery.

10. ben31popup

Did it work?