cheap a/c 'ice chest" make..??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by landon6062, Jun 24, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Ok we are still in prep mode with out camper..

I am spending a lot of time trying to prepare for a trip in 3 to 4 weeks..

We were hoping to take our animals along, but it seems our A/C is just unable to bring the PUP to a temp that we are comfortable with for our animals..

I have a thermometer in the Pup.. it is pretty steady at 90 or more degrees inside..

THAT want work.

We have bought the "GIZMOS" (it should be here by Wednesday)
    We have used "reflextix" in the windows..

NOW for those long summer heat days..I am thinking of making one of these to help. .

I am assuming they always have ICE at a campground?

Anybody ever try one?

Cools for 5 hours.. seems like a good plan?

CHECK THIS OUT:

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I looked at it for making smoke effects for Halloween, all reviews of anything like that were bad. Don't wast your money.

3. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Whatever modifications you make may help some, but remember it's still basically a tent... Try to get a shaded site, and stay outside during the day. The air conditioner will work much better once the sun goes down.

I'm curious though, how hot was it outside when you're ac was keeping it at 90 inside? Even in direct sunlight on a 90 degree day, your ac should perform better than that. Is it possible that the ac isn't functioning properly?

Orchid and landon6062 like this.
  4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Don't give up yet until you get gizmos and reflectix in. Big difference. Check the air temp at ac discharge air duct.

kitphantom and landon6062 like this.
  5. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

If you are passing air over ice, the air is picking up moisture. At the same time your AC is removing it. Seems like it would be counter-productive.

6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Matt.. we have in the direct sun right now.. but went to our local camp ground and I am certainly going to put it in the shade there..

It was 96 today, with the heat index it was 106.

inside the PUP before I turned on the a/c it was 110..

quote: Is it possible that the ac isn't functioning properly?

I don't think so??

The A/C is blowing cold air.. it is just SOO hot here at this time of year. One time it got down to 86, but Mostly it stayed in the high 90s

Personally I am ok with it being 85 or so. Plus we could always get involved in something during the day.. swimming.. etc..... as long as night time is better..

. I way just trying to find a way to make more comfortable for my animals.

I think we are just going to have to wait to the FALL to take them with us anywhere..

I am going to try the cooler Idea.. just to see if it makes a difference..

7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI JPBAR : )

I already got the REFLECTIX in the windows.. the GISMOS should be here this week..

I do hope that makes a difference.. ugg..

NMP likes this.
  8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Guess I need a scientist for that one.. LOL

That would suck for sure..

I'll have to get back with you on that one. : )

9. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

It's my experience with our ac unit that it can usually drop the temperature 20 degrees, even in direct sunlight. However, humidity is the enemy. If it's exceptionally humid the ac will definitely struggle. We will typically use at least one additional fan in the pup to help circulate the air. Hopefully your mods help!

10. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thinking about it a little more I suppose if you ran such a thing all the time. and the PUP never had any time to DRY out.. then I suppose it could cause a mold and mildew problem.. ummm

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

What size is your AC? Ours is 5000 BTU and is inadequate in direct sun, when it is 90+ outside. We sometimes have to run a small swamp cooler on the other end of the camper during the day. It's ok after the sun goes down.

landon6062 likes this.
  12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI WrkrBee.. nice to meet you.. I see you are in SC too. : ).. We are very new to the camping world. Haven't even got my PUP out of the back yard yet.. lol

I really don't know what size our AC is..?? I will check tomorrow..

Could you tell me what is a "A SMALL SWAMP COOLER"?

thanks

13. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

aww is this it? Pretty much the same idea I think : )

14. WrkrBee

We found this in a Walgreens in Florida. It does ok with the camper AC reducing the humidity in the camper. This takes some thought to use and maintain. Once it is filled with water, you don't move it. You don't just cut it off and store it. You run it until the tank is empty and hopefully the core is dry. I take the core out and make sure it is dry before putting it back together for storage.
    They are available on Amazon.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  15. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

If you want to have water dripping off your canvas inside, make one of those. It is an evaporative cooler, not an air conditioner. In order to feel any cool you have to sit right in front of it. I made one and it would have been great had I been in Southern New Mexico or Arizona, but in San Antonio we have humidity of 40% at best and 85% at worst. Not amenable to a device that adds more humidity

16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I built a cooler ac. However mine uses a heat exchanger. I have a heater core salvaged from an old truck I used to have. A bilge pump circulates the cold water through the core and an inline marine exhaust fan moved the air. It pulls air through the exchanger which cools it and helps dry it out a little. Not as good as a real A/C but I built it for tent camping. The whole thing runs off 12Vv and pulls a little less than 2 amps.

Shade is your friend. Pugs will help along with reflective but if you can shade your bunkends at minimum that will also help . Using an awning to shade a side of the camper will also make a difference.

landon6062 likes this.
  17. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Wrkerbee. unfortunately I can't see the image..... I will try and look it up at Walgreens..

thanks

18. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI sawdusty,

Well having water drip off my walls is certainly something I don't want..
    And it certainly is the Humidity here that makes everything worse.

Thanks for your input..
    Donna

sawdusty likes this.
  19. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Sneezer...

Well now... you might have a market for those things. LOL

I will certainly park in the shade.. I already picked out our camp site at the KOA camp, and intend to go when One of the 5 lots are available.. We also got the 'reflextix" for the windows and waiting on the GIZMOS..
    OUR awning is in the shop being repaired.. Hopefully with that combination it will a helps with the coolness of the PUP.. I should know by the end of the week..

I don't expect to have the coolness of home, but I was hoping to do a little closer to 80 inside the pup..
    We arn't young pups anymore, LOL....58 and 56(him) but I love the being outdoors...

Thanks donna

20. WrkrBee

By itself, the swamp cooler does not work well in the South due to the humidity. Combine it with the camper AC to take the humidity out, it does fine. We had to try something. The new location of the Aliner AC "system" is terrible.

landon6062 likes this.