cheap a/c 'ice chest" make..??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by landon6062, Jun 24, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

The fan is suppose to be in friday. We picked up a few parts tonight.

I did find out that you can buy a KIT from home depot to make a MIST Cooler, Those are great for OUTSIDE, but that isn't what we want in the PUP of course.

The BIG plan is to make one that doesn't create a MIST..

I let you know JP as soon as we get it together..

And yes.. the intention is that it will serve DOUBLE purpose, or TRIPLE.. etc..

Use it for "some drinks", to be able to use it under the awning, cookouts.. etc.. we will see what happens.

2. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

You'll just have to forgive me.. I know I am turning this thread into a "conversation piece".. and not totally focused on an ICE COOLER/AC.

But I did want to add this mostly for CHAD..

Yesterday during a shower, little wind.... my GIZMOS blew off the PUP..

I am going to be adding "VELCRO" to the "all" sides to help it stay down a little better..

You might consider that too, even if you get the TARP, "especially" if you are concerned about WIND.. a little headache now, will save a big headache if you have to get out and chase your tarp around. lol

Just thought I would pass that along to you : )

3. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

OH and I finally found "justification" for why my GIZMOS cost so much..

It surely must have taken a Long time, with tedious work, to put that VINYL on the tips of the clips.. LOL

Joking of course..

Actually the point being.. the "soft tip vinyl" on the ends, most likely were made so that the TARP or the PUP, doesn't tear as easily..

It might be some thing to consider when purchasing your "clips" for the reflective tarp..

20180628_075556.jpg

4. chadster

chadster Member

Hmmm now you have me thinking it might be worth it go for the middle of the road option from Gizmos. The perfect fit and the proven wind resistance are starting to seem like piece of mind. I priced out everything yesterday when I got home from work and it appears Piece of mind would be about $40. I think it is worth it.

5. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I hope SHaxs is watching.. Mostly I am going to do this for him. He asked a good question yesterday : )

HI CHAD..

Good to think it through for sure..

WORK and TIME vs Convenience... is always the question..

Some times I "sacrifice convenience" when it is cost efficient.. Others times.. I say the HECK with it.. I'm going for the convenience.. Just depends on how Precious my time is at the time or the Cost efficiency of it..

Hey CHAD I am about to do a TEST on my PUP again.. as soon as the TEMPTS get up to 82..

Since the GIZMOS blew off yesterday.. I will test the A/C at the same temp.. and see what I get..

I think it will give me a more realistic idea of the difference the GIZMOS really makes..

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Wind is one of the reasons we went with the super high wind PUGs. The one we had on our first pup was simply the high wind version, with one shock cord at the outer edge and clips along the sides. On a few occasions, we had the clips pop off.
    With the super high wind version, there are webbing channels across the PUGs and 5 shock cords on each. With Velcro at the roof edge and the shock cords, ours stayed on, even in 60 mph wind gusts - though I saw them starting to look like a silver balloon when wind got under them.

landon6062 likes this.
  7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Kitphantom,

Awe that sounds like a much better version than I have.. (especially for HIGH WIND areas)

What kind of Price were on those?

IF or when you get a chance.. Maybe you would share a picture..

Thanks

8. kitphantom

You can just check our popupgizmos website, to see them. One reason, besides not wanting to reinvent the wheel, that we bought actual PUGs was that once I added up what it would cost me to buy webbing, shock cord, clips, and material. I'd have spent a good portion of the retail cost form PUGs. I can sew perfectly well, but also know when to let others do the work.
    We did a ring mod on ours, so that I didn't have to attach and detach 20 clips each time.

Attached Files:

landon6062 likes this.
  9. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Very nice, I like it.... I see the ring mod on the bottom. great idea.

thanks

Pugs and Gismos are certainly Different...

I can't go back now and do a do over, but perhaps modify what I have,..

Are those Bungee cords that you are using? (I would have thought that would have pulled in the BUNK)

How did you attach it to the "PUG" itself to the "cords".. where there RINGS already on the PUGS?

10. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

11. kitphantom

The Super High Wind Version of the Popup Gizmos (PUGs) have mini shock cord, a.k.a. bungee cord, in the webbing casing, with nylon (or similar) clips on the ends. I just attached the clips to the ring, which I found at the hardware store. I had to order lash hooks to clip the rings onto; same type of hook used on the Coleman pup we had for the bunk bungee.
    The mini shock cord is string enough to hold the PUGs in place. The bunk tenting, at least on our two pups, had enough support that they did not cave it in.

landon6062 likes this.
  12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thanks KITphantom.. I think I can modify mine to work..

Again, this place is a great source of information...

13. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Ok.. on with my test for two reasons...

The benefit of others and I need to know WHERE my leak maybe coming from near the a/c... ugg.

I am not an expert at this, but I will share what I am working on..

it is 79 degrees outside right now, with heat index making it "FEEL LIKE 91... close enough to yesterday, I may be able to give a better test...

Yesterday it was 82, with HEAT index it FELT LIKE " 96."..

It is "101" inside the PUP, right now.. (yesterday it was 110 inside the PUP)

I will see what the a/c can do alone, for 2 hours "12:30".. and then add the GIZMOS back on to see how much of a change that may make two hours later..

* I don't really know if this is a PERFECT test..

* It is obviously going to get Hotter after 12pm.

I am certainly interested in seeing the difference.. I think Just a 10 to 15 degree difference would certainly make them worth it to me..

14. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I'm here :)

15. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

landon6062 likes this.
  16. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

17. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I think I am sufficiently satisfied..

THE A/C has been running for 2 hours now....

It is 82 degrees here now, at 12:45...heat index "FEELS LIKE 93"

It is 87 degrees in the PUP right now..

.. almost the same temp it was yesterday at around 3pm..

Yesterday.. the HEAT index was a little higher.. YESTERDAY: >>>Yesterday it was 82, with HEAT index " FELT LIKE " 96."

YESTERDAY the PUP cooled to 79 degrees. .

That is like a 8 degree difference... a little more if you count the heat index, which I would.

HONESTLY it felt much COOLER yesterday with the GIZMOS ON..

Hope that was helpful.. BUY at your own risk. lol...

Did want to pass this along...

I'm planning on using "wall insulfoam" between the bunk and the main area, during the day, when it is OVER 100.

I believe, It can easily be tucked under the bunk for travel: very light weight and 2 in thick..

WE honestly don't need but ONE bunk anyway so it works for me..

I had a small piece handy to work with, but I am going to BUY to fit before I actually camp....

18. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

I would say that it will definitely cut back on the moisture in the air, but it will deposit said moisture on the bottom of the aluminum tubing, and if you relative humidity is as high as you say, you're going to have to deal with more than just a little water. As soon as that warm, moist air hits the cold aluminum duct, it's going to condense immediately. You'll need a way to expel the water from the duct, or find a puddle backing up out of the fan end.

landon6062 likes this.
  19. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI McFlyfi.. sounds like someone that knows what they are talking about.. Maybe you have some thoughts to add to this? they are certainly welcomed : )

First I must say.....I shouldn't even try to give an answer to this, my husband is more of the one suited to this type of engineering. I am not the BRAINS of the family just do the Grunt work.. lol

His background is: Supervising a calibration Lab most of his career, and now writing procedures for a nuclear plant.. Which I am certain you know means he deals a lot with "heat and cooling". with a degree in engineering. lol

HE certainly wants to give it a try...

EVEN He isn't totally CONFIDENT at getting it to work, even WITH all of his background of experience.

But he does have access to equipment that might help us know for sure.. "Hygrometer."

He is willing to give a go at it, which I am sooo appreciative of..

I will just quote what I know he is doing.. : )

THIS IS WHAT HE IS GOING TO TRY FIRST, and it may not work?

* He is not going to use the "aluminum duct".. he says it is TOO big, too much surface air to cool.
    * He is going to use 1/2 in Vinyl tubing.. Like 5 leads of those.
    * He says the LONGER the better, more time to cool..
    * JUST as you said.. HE also saw the immediate problem with where the cooler was cut for the fan.. "absolutely don't want the water rolling back into the fan.

Now I don't know that if any of that will make a difference are not..

OH I forgot this part..

Quote: You'll need a way to expel the water from the duct

yes, we are aware of that, in our case the "tubing" . but I will have to see what he will come up with on that..

We are hoping to get to work on it this weekend..

IT might be a "TOTAL FLOP," but if all is well ... I will just pass it along : )

OH YES, Again we will have the A/C running, this is HOPEFULLY going to help supplement during the hot periods of the day.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Have you tried leaving the refrigerator door open. Probably work better than an ice cooler. Aim a fan at the fridge.

landon6062 likes this.