cheap a/c 'ice chest" make..??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by landon6062, Jun 24, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

KEN.. I like it.....now that is MY kind of thinking..

NOPE that had not even occurred to me yet.... lol

Though I was thinking of using that for my food.. mostly breakfast, sandwich meat. etc MILK a must...

It is "electric or gas"... so I suppose it is possible.. I will certainly keep that on the shelf as a thought if everything else fails...

thanks for your input...

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

When I was young we would stick our head in the refrigerator to cool down

landon6062 likes this.
  3. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

LOL.. yeah.. I can remember those days too.. : )

In an odd kind of way.. I do the equivalent of that even now...

Most of my home stays about 80 degrees, in the summer.. BUT I have ONE room that I keep very cool, with an extra A/C unit that I go into when I get especially hot, from mowing, yard work.. etc..

donna

4. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI JB and Shaxs..

I promised to get back with you on the cooler/ac (pictures included)

We made our "trial" run Cooler/ac this weekend..

I was very pleased with the results..

We decided to go with the "VIVOSUN 4 IN, 195 cfm" fan. ( it is NOT a hair blower, but gets the job done, and I really liked How quiet it was..)

THE FAN was 27.99 on Amazon..

Pros and cons of the fan. 20180701_142351.jpg .

It runs very quiet.. quieter than an small A/C. However, it of course does not have the "velocity" of the "marine fan". I read the reviews on the "marine fan" and it said it was rather noisy.

FOR us, since we were going to use it in the PUP, we choose.. "consistent "COOL" air over "high velocity".

That would have to be personal choice.

I also wanted to mention that "BE CAREFUL".. we used a "cooler" we had on hand. AND it just happen to fit through the DOOR of the PUP.. LOL didn't think of that before we started to build it.. "silly us) HINT HINT>..... measure your door, before selecting your COOLER!!!

I can not "at this time" say what or if anything will happen with the "condensation".. We really havn't run it enough to know..

HOWEVER, we decided that after so many hours of running it.. (4 to 5) we would have to EMPTY the cooler, so we would just EMPTY the " aluminum vent duct" at the same time.

I can say that it certainly did HELP the a/c in the PUP, and it FIT on the counter quite nicely... I will enjoy sleep with it running.. lol 20180701_142351.jpg

The GUY in the video really did a good job designing it.. WE didn't know at the time that he USED " 3 in aluminum vent duct" and that worked out JUST FINE..

SOME of the CHANGES we made to his design:

* We added an addition to the "exhaust", a spout that allowed us to TURN it in different directions,
    * We raised the FAN level, to prevent water from backing up into the fan
    * We used a "DUCT FAN" made for green houses.
    * we moved the "exhaust spout" so that it would be carried easier..

*********(We may add a "water release valve" later, but right now we have not seen a problem with "condensation" YET..)

*********just and extra step that is important* ONE of the things we had to do was SEAL the "exhaust" that is INSIDE the cooler, so that "water" that melted, did NOT get into the VENT.. We just used "fynaflex 230" for that..

Here are few pictures.. IF you have any questions let me know..

P.S .. we have only tried it out ONE TIME in the PUP, so there may be other things we discover later. But I did want to get back to you two specifically. : )

HOPE that helps : )

OOPS.. I did it again.. SORRY folks.. I enlarged the same picture twice.. LOL

Attached Files:

JPBar likes this.
  5. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

20180701_142405.jpg

JPBar likes this.
  6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Oh I forgot to add the front picture..

Some of the really good things about it is:

* it is light weight when traveling

* It is Portable 20180701_144919.jpg

* there is room for a few drinks in it when under the awning, and "can" offer a little relief from the heat. IF you are not more than 2 to 3 feet from it.

JPBar likes this.
  7. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

A better idea a dehumidifier. Get a electric side and then use the plug to run a 2nd unit. I am one who can handle heat without the humidity. run the hose to let the water drain from dehumidifier.

DJS12354 likes this.
  8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Silver.. I don't know if a dehumidifier would so much to help me in my pup, MAYBE?? but I am not one to be able to take " this " kind of heat. With the the a/c running the temp still runs around 90 or above. A dehumidifier certainly MAY work on those hot "heat index days" I really don't know... LOL one thing at a time..

I did run an "experiment" in the house yesterday with the Ice box.. Ran it for about 4 1/2 hours.. aiming the exhaust down on a VINYL floor. There was no sign of moisture on the floor. I thought that was a good sign.

However, there was some water that got inside the "aluminium duct". a good bit actually. (which causes the "Fan" to produce less air).

Right now we don't believe it was a build up of "condensation" because it was SO much water. He is Inclined to believe there is a 'tear"" in the aluminium duct.

We are still trying to determine if we will need a "water release valve" in the cooler.

Anyway that is were we are with this

9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Don't get in too deep. I just saw a swamp cooler for sale on a local FB page for 40 bucks. Run with computer fans, so it did look cheap to build, especially if you have something like the https://www.ax-man.com/ to check out! {serious weirdo surplus!}

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The water is at the same temperature as the ice and takes heat faster.

11. Flyboyonyoursix

Flyboyonyoursix New Member

Evaporative cooler or swamp cooler doesn’t seem to me like it would have enough umph to cooler a Popup. I have a friend who made one for his small 3 person tent and it cooled thing but also created a lot of condensation on the tent walls. He was going to try Dry Ice however, I haven’t heard back about that one.

landon6062 likes this.
  12. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

A/C removes two kinds of heat, latent and sensible. Latent is humidity and sensible is what you measure (sense) as in a thermometer. Running an evaporative (swamp) cooler increases the humidity and combined with a regular A/C cooling system only adds to the discomfort level. Remember A/C removes latent heat which is part of the discomfort we feel and to run a swamp cooler in tandem only adds to one's discomfort. If looking for cooling relief outdoors you might try one of those misting fans hooked up to a water hose.

landon6062 likes this.
  13. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Flyboyonyoursix.

It has been doing a good job for us so far....

This is a little different than a "swamp cooler" the ICE and WATER is contained " outside" the "aluminum duct". I think of "swamp coolers" as Mist coolers.

I ran a test.. I ran the cooler for over 4 hours, aimed down on a "VINYL" floor and there was no "moisture"/ wetness that showed up on the flooring..

I am no expert for sure, but learning a lot through this experiment.

What I have heard was that Dry ice will certainly makes the AIR colder, but it causes the ice to melt faster.

We did have had a problem with it though..

FIRST PROBLEM: The DUCT we bought, had "holes" in it where someone punctured it with a "staple" putting the price tag on it. ugg After the ICE melted and the level rose< a LOT Of water got into the DUCT. * You know that because it begins to gurgle and Making the "Fan" less efficient...

We took it apart and that is when we found the "punctured staple holes" near the top. (I guess a few holes in a DRYER DUCT doesn't matter, but when you are dealing with water.. well you guessed it.. it floods)

SECOND PROBLEM: The cooler has to be small enough to fit through the PUP DOOR. therefore the 3in "ALUMINUM DUCT" Is a very tight fit, to wrap around inside the cooler. IF one isn't very careful they could easily BENT it to the point of tearing it..

We are looking into a way to "contain" the "aluminum duct" in some kind of water proof bag and see if that helps.

We are doing our first camping this weekend in the back yard.. LOL... I'll let you know of the results we find.. It maybe a COMPLETE FLOP, but if we can't find a "LIGHT WEIGHT" way to cool things down in our PUP we will have to wait till the FALL to camp.

Thanks for your input..

14. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Dan. It may all turn out to be a FLOP.. we will see..

My husband says. that because of the "design" of this one.. "THE ICE and water BEING CONTAINED OUTSIDE THE ALUMINUM".. The "fan" should only pull in whatever Moisture that is "ALREADY" in the air.. Basically you aren't adding moisture, but the whatever moisture that is already in the PUP will be dispersed through the DUCT back into the air..

We will see, I honestly just don't know.

I am just being the "guinea pig" and just sharing as I learn things about it..

I shared the Problems we have had with it so far in the last post. to FLYBOY.. you might want to read that?

IT may not work for others. but I certainly know that it has definitely made a difference in the temperature our PUP so far. About 10 degrees. I think. Between this, the GIZMOS and the Reflextix, I think we are going to be comfortable enough to enjoy camping during the summer months, even with the TEMPTS over 100..

WE will be trying it out in the PUP this weekend. I will pass along any results I have

Thanks for your input..

Rik Peery likes this.
  15. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Here is the real question/mystery that we are trying to solve..

Will the ICE COOLER< Pull the moisture out of the air and 'contain" it within the "aluminum duct"?

We havn't been able to truly determine that yet, because the "aluminum duct" had a Puncher hole in it from staples that were used to PRICE TAG IT.. ugg.. when we ran our experiment. .

IE: Which created a "massive" amount of water inside the Duct..

I think we will know the answer to that by this weekend. I am going to try a HEAVTY LEAF bag as a Solution to insulating the "aluminum duct".. and see what happens with that...

My hubby has considered a "water release valve" as a solution, but that would add quiet a bit of cost to the Cooler/AC. So we are trying to avoid that right now.

I'll just add this for interest, some of these things you may have on hand..

Cost so far:

Cooler--- I have seen them for $14.00 at wal-greens (we had one on hand)
    Fan 2500 rpm-, ( the vivosun 195cfm)-- $ 23.oo (we choose this fan because of the low noise, and it does run very quiet)
    aluminum duct--- 3' x 96" ---$ 10.00
    one 4" to 3" inch coupling fit...$ 8. 92
    one 3" to 2" inch coupling fit... (i don't remember the price of this exactly) $ 5. 00
    90 degree pvc elbow fitting--- .99 cents
    About " 4 ins " of (2 " pvc piping) .. (that you might just have on hand)

Those are the major parts amounting to around ($62.00)

For us, IF this will work, it serves multi purposes:

It is light weight. (which is very important to us)
    It can double as a small cooler for water/coke
    very Portable..

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  16. Dan from Troup

Your humidity may be lower than ours so this may work for you. It's certainly inexpensive to build but ice isn't cheap unless you make your own. Someday we'll have clothing that can heat or cool our bodies and may reduce/eliminate the need to temperature control our living environment.

17. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Dan.. : ). OH our humidity is terrible here..

it certainly isn't something I would " depend" on for long term or as a main source of a/c.
    Just a supplement to the a/c we already have.

I doubt we would camp for more than a couple of days at a time. (not retired yet : ) )

I don't expect that we would have to run it day and night, only through the hot hours of the day 12-5pm.
    When we expect to be IN the PUP.

It requires TWO 10 lb bags of ice for about 4-5 hours..... about 4 dollars a day to run through those Hours, I am ok with that..

Unless something changes of course, there are always variables.. .. lol)

We will see what happens this weekend.. "backyard camping"

18. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

The way you have it setup now as a heat exchanger, it shouldn’t add any moisture and actually theoretically should pull moisture out. As the warm air comes into the cooler, the moisture should condense and pool in the hose. Once you get it sealed up, you will be able to see how much accumulates over a couple days. It may be little enough that it doesn’t affect operation and can be manually drained at the end of the trip.

One other cheap option for hose may be corrogated plastic pipe meant for drainage. Plastic isn’t as good a conductor as metal, but the trade off for water tightness may be worth it.

19. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Rusty.. my husband thought the same thing. "The way you have it setup now as a heat exchanger, it shouldn’t add any moisture and actually theoretically should pull moisture out.".....

IE; if the moisture is already in the PUP, the only thing you are really doing is "changing the temperature" and the small about of moisture in the room would condense in the bottom of the duct...

Just how much is the real question..

We don't know "how much moisture will condense/pool in the hose, once it is "completely sealed" . Perhaps not enough to really be concerned about...My thought on it was. just as you would empty your cooler at the end of the day, you just empty the hose too.

The other cheap option you mentioned.

We were going to use 1/2 " VINYL hosing. much tougher, but it would require more expense, and TIME, because you have to get valves to attach 6 vinyl hoses together into an exhaust piece.

We went with the conservative approach first.. The Cooling in the air that was being exhausted was a WONDERFUL (54 degrees.). We were satisfied with that..

I will have to look into the "corrugated plastic pipe meant for drainage" after I try the HEFTY bag as a "bearer" between the "aluminum duct" and the ice/water..

The first thing to "explore and eliminate" .. IS is IT A "SEALING ISSUE" or is it REALLY a "condensation problem... Got to eliminate the "sealing issue first" to answer the second question..

And as you said the "aluminum" is a better conductor...

I will be trying to work with it today with the Hefty leaf bag and see what happens.. It may be just a matter of a "sealing issue" . SINCE this "aluminum duct" originally had small "staple holes in it" where some really INTELLIGENT employee decided to STAPLE the price tag right into the "Duct".. After finding more than a gallon of water in the "duct" we shined a flashlight down the tube and it was very CLEAR where those holes came from.

THANKS .. I appreciate the input.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  20. Dan from Troup

A cooling vest is made for motorcyclists that pumps ice water from a small cooler through a hose as a loop through a vest. Maybe make a portable unit you can walk around with like an oxygen tank. Silly me....
    Looking forward to your camp driveway report. Don't forget the marshmallows even if it's over a can of Sterno.

landon6062 likes this.