Cheap Ceiling fan

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by riverwalker, Aug 3, 2011.

1. riverwalker

riverwalker New Member

I was into Princess auto the other day came across a keyboard fan , it was nice and light flat had 2 rather large fans $5.99 . IT looked almost exactly the same size as my roof vent so I bought it. My plan is to either to remove the screen and install it /replace screen or just use Velcro . I have an extra plug to switch out so it fits into the dome light plug . Once i get it all figured out I'll post a pic. Curious if anyone else has done this? or something similar?

2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Sounds good, keep us posted.

3. riverwalker

riverwalker New Member

NO pic's , it was almost perfect fit but didn't work took it back to replace it was the last one or the guy just didn't know and couldn't help me find another. [:(!] [V]

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

It was a good idea anyway. We have 7 or 8 (they were on clearance for $3 a couple years ago) of these battery/AC fans we got at Wally World. They are made by O2Cool and fit perfectly over a trailer vent. They are extremely light weight without batteries so can easily velcro to the vent frame. We used to use them in our TT and I still keep one in the pup even though we have AC. They have a little hook on the handle to hang them by. I'll try to find a link to them.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

These are the ones we have, only in white. The ones I see on Walmart's website are a slightly different style, I guess they have changed over the years.

The price on the page I linked too is a bit high. I believe the original price at Walmart was only $12. They were 75% off and they had a severe overstock of them...lol...like half an aisle full! DH laughed when I brought home so many of them but they have been great fans over the years. I bought some for my grown kids too as we have many power outages here in FL.

6. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

If you take the screen out, bugs can get in as the fan will not completely close up the opening. I would figure out a way to keep the screen.

7. riverwalker

riverwalker New Member

The one I picked up would have fit inside the vent with screen replaced as it was 2 fans , I would have been able to drill a hole through for the vent crank and a strip of weather striping on 2 of the 4 sides would have made it perfect fit. The great thing would have been it could be switched from exhaust to intake besides it was same color as the roof vent casing. It definitely is still on my mind to keep an eye out for something similar.

8. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Sounds like you could make a replacement screen to suit. Perhaps to go over the fan once in place. On the 19' HTT's, there is an emergency exit window that can open and be used, except it has no screen. I cut a piece of screen to fit, then hot glued on velcro around the perimeter. Black screen, black velcro on a black window frame, it looks and works great, allowing additional airflow in our HTT.