Cheap, easy, reliable wind kit

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by JimPH, Jul 22, 2018.

1. JimPH

JimPH New Member

I put together a very efficient wind kit that was cheap, easy to install, and very reliable. In a nut shell: I use stainless steel 1 inch tie-downs (like used in a pickup), putting 1 on each side of the front roof side, and 1 on each side of the back roof side in strategic places so not to interfere with the up and down motion. The before raising the roof, I run a 16 foot Yakima 1 inch strap I use to tie-down my kayak through the stainless steel tie-down. Put it up (if windy at the time I hold on to the strap so the roof won't get away from me) and the run the end through the other tie-down, (both sides), and I'm safe and done. These tie-downs are rated for 1500 lbs. and I use them to hold down a 17 ft. kayak for thousands of miles with zero slippage or issues. I've used this in strong winds, it worked great for me. I will share this if anyone wants: I have the directions and pictures, just email me. Cost me about $25-30. Best part other than it holds my camper together is that when I am driving, nothing is hanging from my camper, when it is up it blends in and does NOT get in the way of my canopy.
    I give up, I have tried to download tho pictures over and over, they won't download so email me at jphughes47@gmail.com and I will send them to you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Rik Peery likes this.
  2. mark30

mark30 Member

For some reason, can't read the attached pdf file (opens as a blank file). Can you repost?

3. JimPH

JimPH New Member

TIEDOWN WIND KIT

GOAL

The Tiedown Wind Kit is designed to use nylon tiedowns to hold the Aliner together in heavy winds and even assist you in safely putting your Aliner up in the wind. The tiedown straps I use have held my kayaks on my car roof for thousands of miles in at least 70 mile an hour winds (the speed I am traveling at with kayaks on car roof), not counting added wind the semi’s create as you meet them on the road, so these straps can handle any wind I care to be camping in, and wind I don’t care to be camping in. And they do not stretch. I have just been through normal thunderstorms with moderate wind and it held up just fine.

Why I wanted something cheaper and simpler to install:

I wrote to Aliner support to discuss this issue and they gave me the price for their High Wind Kit. One is $194 and the other is $281. Then it costs roughly $100 to have it installed. Here, in my opinion, is a much simpler, cheaper, and as safe method that will reach the same safe goal. In my opinion.

PARTS (you may already have or can easily obtain)

Two nylon tiedown straps. 1 inch wide, 16 feet long with a rubber covering and grip end. I already had Yakima tiedown straps I use for my kayak/canoe. 1500 lbs. strength. Cost $30 on Amazon. Or Riverside tie downs $16 Both are at REI or Amazon and both are top quality . Strength and a non-slipping grip is very important. See picture 1.

4 stainless steel 1 inch tiedowns (purchased on Amazon for $15. Or just Google. Picture 2

4 stainless steel #10 ¾ inch sheet metal screws self tapping $2 at any hardware store Picture 3

Loctite threadlock $5 Any hardware store

Clear adhesive/calk sealant (this seals and helps prevent oxidation) hardware store or your basement .

Total $20 - $50 and even cheaper if you have tiedowns already or chose not to use stainless steel (don’t recommend).

I am sure you can find these quality recommend items even cheaper with some minimal effort.

TOOLS

Drill

1/8 drill bit ( or a drill bit smaller then the sheet metal screws you purchase

ratchet for installing self tapping screws

INSTALATION:

Top tie down on front (roof) wall: Measure roughly 2 ½ inches from the top end, and ½ inch down, on the Classic this is on the corner brace and next to their capped bolt. Drill screw hole. Major important!! Make sure you do not come out where it will effect the sliding of putting up and down the walls. Take 1 tie down, (picture 4)put adhesive calk on the back, put of tiedown, threadlock on screw. On this (roof) wall I put the tie down (Picture 4) facing up, only because I had very thick straps, putting it so that it faces the other tiedown when up is probably more secure. But mine works well (see picture 4) Do this on both sides. And cover screw with adhesive when done.

Bottom tiedown on other wall (rear wall picture 2). I measured 1 ft. from the end, and ¾ inches from the top. Drilled my hole, again before drilling I made sure it would not interfere with the up and down sliding of the roof. I put the adhesive on the back of the tie down, put the threadlock on the screw, put the tiedown so it faces the other tiedown. No need to crank down on these screws, (just tight is enough). Let this sit for 24 hours, you are done.

Putting up your Aliner:

Put the tiedown strap through the top tiedown first (picture 5), before you totally lift the two sliding (roof) walls up. Pull the strap through until both ends meet or maybe have the non-grip end about a foot longer than the grip end. You can have some hold on to the strap as you put the walls up or if not windy, just let it hang. NOTE: thread the strap through so that you have the grip end on the outside and the none grip end on the inside,. Now put the untwisted inside strap without the grip through the lower tiedown, then put the strap through the grip, pull tight, (Picture 6,7,8)

Comments: I have never had any wind buzzing vibration, but if you do, just twist the straps.

I put the lower tiedown closer to the end so that it would not interfere with my canopy.

If you have another type of Aliner other then the Classic (mine 2016). You measurements will be different but the concept will all be the same. Just feel before you drill, make sure it won’t interfere with the sliding and that it goes to the inside of the metal/foam wall.

This works and it is very simple. It may be my directions that are confusing, so feel free to email to ask me questions.

My feeling is that the need for a wind kit is a design problem and Aliner should fix this flaw at no cost just like an auto company must when they have a serious issue and they do a recall. I contacted Aliner and they disagreed. So this is my solution. None of the wind kits come with a guarantee because all wind, angles of wind, gusts, etc. are different, but this, in my opinion, is as good or better then the other products I have seen and read about. I still think the best advise I have read while researching the wind kit is: If it is that windy, don’t put up your camper or maybe take the camper down and sleep in the car.

Picture 1Picture 2

Picture 3Picture 4

Picture 5 Picture 6

Picture 7

Picture 8
    I give up, I have tried to download tho pictures over and over, they won't download so email me at jphughes47@gmail.com and I will send them to you.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  4. Allen Wood

Allen Wood New Member

For some reason, I cannot see the pictures, I would love to see the pictures before trying this. Thank You

5. JimPH

JimPH New Member

6. JimPH

JimPH New Member

7. JimPH

JimPH New Member