cheap long telephoto for DSLR?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Anthony Hitchings, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I have an old SWIFT 15-60x zoom spotting scope/telescope, built like a brick outhouse. They were used by the military back in the sixties. It uses T-mount system to mount cameras. I finally got around to testing it on a rock solid tripod and solid alt-az mount, using a fence grille as a target, in the distance. I hade to put my Nikon in live view mode to stop camera shake from mirror bounce. Sad to say its only a fair result at 15x and get softer and more purple as one goes up to 40x. Beyond that its getting too dark. So this scope won’t be used for photography.

2. Groomporter

Groomporter Active Member

I've got a couple lenses for my ancient Pentax SLR. I've been meaning to check to see if they will work on a DSLR even if only in manual mode. I miss having a decent camera, but have had other things (like a trailer...) I should spend money on first.

3. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I shopped here pretty hard when I went looking for a DSLR last summer. Only an entry level unit. https://www.natcam.com/

I found a Canon Kit setup on Target closeout with a long lens and a short lens, but I found the National Camera Exchange website helpful for what I should expect to pay, and lose, if buying my way into the artsy camera world IMG_1680.JPG

4. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Any long zoom (150-600 or 200-500)
    By Sigma (stay with contemporary if weight is an issue, I use the Sport edition for build quality) Tamron or Nikon are all fine lenses that you'll be happy with.

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I bough a walkin around lense zoom 300 MM for DSLR. I got a 2x lense a few years back before the full eclipse. I always had a heavy tripod. So a dark sun filters, remote and a camping spot in the center of longest total eclips. With 600 mm we endeded up with good great shots.

6. Anthony Hitchings

My Nikon AF-P 70-300 is a great medium tele for my DX format Nikon D3300 (with firmware upgrade). Easily hand-held with VR turned on. It does not accept a 2x converter. I still desire a longer solution for wildlife (such as Yellowstone wolves), but $$ and weight are a concern.

7. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Weight can be an issue...but quality does come at a price my friend. As far as converters go. ....I would not use anything more than a 1.4x any converter degrads image quality. If you're shooting a DC body that 150-600 already becomes a 300-1200mm without a converter.

8. Anthony Hitchings

I also have a Celestron C90 "spotting scope" / telescope, with the T-mount system. It too needs the super stable tripod and mount combo. Totally not hand-holdable. I am still trying to get used to it. Its almost "more trouble than its worth" but I need to try again with the new alt-az mount.

myride likes this.
  9. Anthony Hitchings

So I did dig out He new alt-az mount, with the heavy tripod, and try my Nikon D3300 on the C90 at prime focus of 1200 mm. This reach is 4x what my Nikon 70-30 AF-P can do. It does capture more detail, but has to be on a tripod and the target needs to be still.