Cheap way to deter theft of pup's and travel trailers

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Mickeyrv, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] [HYC] Purchase a cheap trailer hitch BALL (get the correct size) then cut off the threaded portion so you have just the ball only. Place that into your ball receiver on you camper, Secure the latch with a high tensile strength lock and then take your tow chains and lock them together so they cannot be used to tow you unit away. This will provide a good way to keep your unit from being stolen. As the saying goes, " this will keep honest people - honest" Removing the tires is another form of theft deterrent but is much more time consuming.

2. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

"Like"

I usually remove my chains if I know the unit will sit a spell.

3. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hola All

From The Stop Sign to the south - to The Stop Sign to the north on our street is five pop up's.
    Not a one has had a theft problem in the last 15 years.

I am sure there are places this could be a local way of life and all should be locked up.

Rodger & Gabby
    COS

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

In Jersey they just pick up the tongue with a tow truck hook, raise the jack wheel and go.
    Usually it's a trailer with a Harley inside, the trailers are clearly marked with the Harley emblem.

5. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

In NH the DPW has box trailers every so often, they have 1 tire removed, Theft problem solved

Jerry in MA

6. tombiasi

The Harley theifs would probably bypass a trailer with only one wheel.
    If they really wanted the bike they would pop the back door and load the bike into a van.

7. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Been camping for a few years when I store or when camping I just put the ball lock on it and leave it. Never had any problems yet

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Ya, I had a thread going a couple of years ago, but all my pictures were lost due to Webshots going south on all of us. I recently got the pics onto Photobucket, so I guess I'll re-post some of them here.

This is one step farther to your suggestion of putting a tow ball in the coupler. I used to do that, but you'll notice that you can very easily take the coupler apart with a 3/4 inch socket and drop that ball out of there. The plate I welded on, (6 inches x 1/8th thick) covers the nut under the coupler and prevents that. I also cut the shank of the ball a little shorter to get the plate up as close to the coupler housing as possible.

[​IMG]

The axle stand that the tongue is resting on is cable locked to the tongue and through the chains to make it something more for the bad guys to deal with.

[​IMG]

If we are gone for awhile, (other holidays) I will take one or both of the wheels off and store them in the garage. If it's just sitting in the driveway for awhile I'll throw a cable over the axle and padlock it around the center post of my garage doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just trying to slow the bad guys down.
    I also don't use that lock on the coupler any more as it was a little cheap. I now use one with the shackle covered.

9. tombiasi

Hope you don't need that brick support post :)

10. Keithsbabe

Keithsbabe New Member

Ours is in the garage during winter, but when it's being used regularly...

Hubby muscles it in the driveway until the tongue is just inches from our garage. He also puts some sort of complicated lock on the hitch tongue (???). In our neighborhood we are more concerned about spray paint graffiti :(

11. Wrenchgear

Tombiasi...

I'm not sure what would break first.... the cable, the post or the padlock.

If the post breaks, the house insurance will pay to fix the house. Hopefully the Pup is broken enough that the bad guys won't want it, in which case the Pup insurance will pay to fix the Pup. That should be a win because everything will be fixed up and I'll still have it all with only having to pay some deductibles.

If the cable or the lock breaks, the bad guys get the pup and the Pup insurance will only pay what they thing the Pup is worth, which won't be enough to buy a new one. That will be a fail because I don't want to lose my beloved Pup. (They'll only give me $4000 or $5000 for it, but it'll cost $10 000 to replace it with new, and its in like new condition) [:(]

I also leave all 4 stabs down in the driveway as well to try and slow them down. If its too much of a pain for them to get mine, hopefully they move down the street to the Viking, or Rockwood Roo, or Trailmanor that all live down there.

Just trying to keep the bad guys at bay. (but if they want it, they're gonna get it)

12. tombiasi

Or they will pull your axel off.
    You made me want to check what my homeowner's insurance will pay.
    This kind of event would be rare in my neighborhood, and most of us have a "different" kind of insurance.

13. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Honest people don't steal. And crooks rarely target pups. Too easy to spot when stolen.

An inexpensive insurance policy will take care of you.

14. tombiasi

You are right. They are more likely to steal your battery or propane tank on the way to your camp when you stop for supplies.

15. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Yes, they probably are more likely to steal your propane tank. The chance of that, too, is miniscule.

16. Wrenchgear

Propane tank, spare tire and battery all go in the garage (backyard shop) when the Pup is in the driveway. Those are pretty easy items for the bad guys to get. Having said that, we live in a pretty good neighborhood. Everyone keeps an eye on each others stuff.

My Pup insurance only costs about $130 a year.

17. hakrjak

hakrjak Member

Don't think not having safety chains is going to deter a thief :D -- although I don't know of there is a big PUP theft problem anyway -- you'd think they'd be pretty hard to fence? LOL

18. saratogaowner

saratogaowner New Member

striping them of the aluminum,copper and selling wheels,tires and axle could be possible while it may not happen every day it only takes once

19. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I use a Gorilla tongue lock and matching receiver coupler pin locks.
    [​IMG]

If you are really concerned, a 5/8 galvanized rigid pipe though the wheel spokes with a plate and pad lock at each end will take care of the roll away issue completely. Only place I'd use that is at a storage facility for those ho have to store off site. BTW, I can attest to the fact that a ball locked up in the coupler only takes a hammer to brake off. The solo ball locked in the coupler is better, the plate shown actually helps the thief by providing a strong hammer point. The coupler latch is the week spot in the set up.

20. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

Saw an interesting video by a UK security chain manufacturer. They tested competitors chains (of course), mainly designed to secure a motorcycle. These were top of line beefy chains. They went at them with a big bolt cutter and almost all of them were cut in less than a minute, albeit with some considerable effort.

http://youtu.be/Cpf35C7wu6Q

Cables, chains, locks won't stop them if they want it and no one is watching. Seems like wheel removal is the best bet, along with motion lights, garaged, etc. In any case, the more deterrents, the more likely the thief will move on to an easier target.