Cheap way to hang valances

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Orchid, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've got the Coleman curtain tracks, with the larger C channel for the curtains, and the smaller C channel above it for the valance.

I was able to salvage and reuse all the clips from the curtains for those. My PUP didn't come with any valances for me to cannibalize for parts, so I'm stuck having to buy them. The cheapest I can find the proper tape is over $11 for 72"- and while that sounds like a long strip, the valance has to bunch up so is much longer than the curtain. It's going to cost me well over $50 just to do the long sides of my camper, not including the bunk ends. And that is just for the hardware.

Has anyone found a cheaper way to hang valances? I don't want to use Velcro (it's expensive too) and I want it to be able to glide along the track. I've done a search here and only find the glide tape I was referring to above.

Anyone come up with any homemade, cheap solutions to attach to this track?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Our Palomino had the valances used that elastic stuff you buy for repairing/making coat cuffs or small scrunchies instead of a rod.. The valance was then stapled to the wood.. two staples at each end with a single staple in the middle.. the ends of the elastic also had a loop fashioned which I believe was to be used on a hook, but there wasn't any ...

3. HSMomma

HSMomma Member

If you want to try and re-install the glide tape, check camping world online. Their price is $6.29 for 72"...almost half the price of Amazon.

4. Orchid

Thank you! Going to check on that right now. Glide tape is my preferred method for sure.

5. scootit

scootit New Member

Do you have the valances? Are you just trying to hang them? You can use a button. Don't buy new ones- second hand store or grandma or a friend might have them. You can also use a plastic tube found at a hardware store. An O ring that you can sew onto the fabric, hook O ring onto command hooks. A picture would help me more of what you have. If you are replacing the fabric...I have ideas for that too.

6. Orchid

My PUP didn't come with any valances. I have to make them.

I saw the O ring on Command hooks idea, but don't really like the way that looks.

I can't picture how to use a button. How would that work? And the tube? Interesting. I do want the valances to bunch, as they would in a home. I'm making them at least twice as long as the tracks, which is why I thought the glide tape would work best.

We have a Camping World in town here, so I didn't order the tape yet. I'm going to check it out and see if they have any in stock first to save on shipping. I've actually never been in there, and think it's mostly a repair and dealer, so not even positive they have stuff like this. Going to find out tomorrow.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

in your case the glide tape would work. You don't have the style track that would work for the button or tube attachment. My old Jayco had like a hollow tube like track, which a button or some other thing works by sliding in the tube. Unfortunately on the colemans our track is like a rod with "C" style clips which make things a bit more complicated for us. Hopefully you can find something cheap that could work. I might cheat and just attach my valance directly on my curtains just so I don't have to worry about it. Then again I dont have enough fabric to bunch it like a traditional valance.

8. Orchid

Ah, I see. I had a channel like that on my Apache. Not wide enough for a button, but I get the reference now.

I cheaped out on the curtain fabric and they don't bunch enough. I'm hoping the bunching of the valance will balance it out and make it look less flat.

9. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I want mine to lay flat, or close to it to the side of roof. As far as I can see the only reason I can see for it is to hide the ugly where the ceiling meets the walls, the AC cord, the door mount, the tent and curtain track the corner braces...
    I made sure I had a place to staple the hook, DW sewed the loop to the silly little curtain.

10. Orchid

Yep, it's 100% about aesthetics. Absolutely no function. [:D]

11. Orchid

Sooo, I went to Camping World today and bought my glide tape in person. [:D] Their store was awesome! I was probably better off not knowing it existed. It opened here in town a couple of years ago, but for some reason, I was under the impression that it was just an RV dealer.

The store prices are really good. Very much inline with Walmart, which totally shocked me. Cheaper than I have paid for the same items on Amazon. It will be my go-to place from now on. It was a fun store, with lots of goodies like games and pink flamingos, in addition to the mechanical stuff. I didn't join Good Sam yet, but probably will.