Check Galvanic Rod

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by MintHillBill, Dec 4, 2018.

1. MintHillBill

MintHillBill Member

Winterized popup and when emptied Hot Water heater was Surprised to see Rod was eaten away. Water was not used by two previous owners as filter was in sink still in cellophane wrapper. Bought new one (pair on Amazon). You can tell age of SnapOn toolbox by CRAGAR sticker.

IMG_2153.JPG

neighbormike likes this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When I got my popup I tried to take that rod out and it wasn't budging. Took a whole lot of work and lots of PB blaster. When I got the rod out almost the entire thing was eaten away. Don't think the previous owner replaced it at all. So yes, very good idea to check it every season. Also keep reference of the model number before you buy as there are multiple sizes out there.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Mine will not come out, so when the heater gets eaten away, ill repleace that instead!

neighbormike likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

There are good photos from reliable sources on the net, illustrating when the rod should be replaced. Video here is good. (Too bad he doesn't show hoe to make it easier to replace the anode in a water heater where the hole is partially blocked by the LP burner parts.)

PopUpSteve likes this.
  5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I let mine go about a year and a half and replaced it when I winterized a few weeks ago. It was down to about 20% so pretty bad. I had done the last replacement in early June of 2017. So these need to be replaced yearly and during winterizing is as good a time as any.

6. kitphantom

Lifespan seems to depend on the type of water, etc. Our anode is about 30-40% eroded after 4 seasons. We dutifully bought a replacement during the first season, and have been carrying it around ever since. We generally have hard water and drain/rinse the hot water tank 2-4 times a year

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

For how little they cost I replaced the one in the pups water heater every spring during the de-winterizing process. The TT water heater doesnt need one so that a bonus..

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

need to check mine

9. MintHillBill

MintHillBill Member

Have to use 1 1/16 in socket, long extension and breaker bar first time.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, i tried that plus , its not coming out. Probubly never been out in 19 years. Why ruin a good thing.

11. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Nothing at all wrong with the old one, it still has a lot of life remaining.

12. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

X2^
    That anode rod is still at about 75%.

Back during the recession, when the construction industry was hurting, I did plumbing service sales. Anode rods were an easy sell if the timing was right. Water quality makes a big difference on longevity. In my area they were usually below 25% after 6-7 years.

Does everyone who worries about their RV water heater anode rod, ever consider the anode rod in the water heater in their home?

13. kitphantom

AFAIK, we've never had anode rod in any of the water heaters in our homes. If there was one, it has never been apparent, labeled, or mentioned at installation. Don't know if always having gas water heaters makes a difference.

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

are anode rods same for all Suburban heaters?

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I think it erodes bases on the quality of the water and how long you keep the water in the tank. We drain the tank after each trip. We see very little loss per year. But we can drain the tank by opening our low point drains and opening the hot faucets.

We don't need to pull it at the year end. Just last month I bought a new rod, certain it need one after 2 years. Pulled it out and it had some good pits, but was at about 80%. I have got a spare rod now.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  16. tenttrailer

Fyi, to pull the original rod can be very hard. I use a 1/2" - 30" breaker bar, 12" extention, and I believe it's a 1-1/16" socket. It takes a lot of force do to rust. When you install a new one use Teflon paste or tape and the future replacements will be much easier.

17. kitphantom

We do pull the anode out to rinse the tank a few times during the year. The sediment that rinses out is sometimes amazing. Given the hard water we usually have and sediment, I'm surprised that our anode is only 30-40% eroded after 4 full seasons. (We have a new one, so will probably replace it sometime next season.)

18. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

The majority of residential tank type water heaters, gas and electric, have anode rods. They are usually not labeled and usually overlooked and not mentioned. Unless you call a upsell sales minded service plumber with a torque multiplier wrench.:)

They are difficult to remove and usually require a special tool. I could pull one out that was 5-8 years old, almost gone, ate up and nasty looking. One look from the customer and it was an easy 100$ :)

19. tenttrailer

What I started doing when filling the water heater via pump or city water I leave open my hot water low point valve and let the water flow out for about minutes when The tank is full. The trash on the bottom of the tank gets mixed up with the initial water going into the tank. A lot of that trash flows out the low point drain.

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have only ever seen one size.

I would change the trailer anode every year as part of the dewinterization process.. At home all our water heaters have been rentals with maintenance agreements, so if the rod gets eaten away and the tank starts to leak due to that, it's call and get the tank replaced..

I love the Atwood water heater the TT has, no anode required and has a plastic plug you unscrew to drain it..