Checking out 2007 Fleetwood Bayside CP Tonight - Help Please

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by adidasno21, Aug 16, 2018.

1. adidasno21

adidasno21 New Member

Hello, brand new to the community, but I've been pop up camping pretty much my whole life.

Going to look at a 2007 Fleetwood Bayside CP tonight, the asking price is $3600. Price seems goood, and pictures show a pretty beautiful camper, but appear to have been taken a few years back. I found out that it is a rental at a small pop up rental shop (3 to 5 units) and they've owned it for three or four seasons now.

Here is the listing text:
    Has A/C, built in potty, bump out dinette and vanity. Outside storage, refrigerator, stove, sink, heater. Canopy included. Works on propane and/or electric. Has battery back up and spare tire. Tires are 3 years old. Bearing greased every year. Always stored inside. Very spacious. Good condition. everything works. Many extras going with it.

I've read some posts about the roofs, and air conditioning gaskets, and possible 45 degree cracks, but it seems like there are few other trouble spots. My TV is capable of towing it, but will need a brake controller upgrade. I've read through the post about buying a used camper over at PopUpExplorer, and I think I'm pretty prepared, but would love your more experienced input.

What else should I be looking closely at? Anything specific for this camper? Anything jump out at you about the price/age/model?

Thanks very much for your time and consideration!!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

That's way newer then mine. Check for wood rot, especially in the storage box. Make sure everything works properly. Check the roof. Canvas. Even with a few problums, that seems a fair price.

3. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

We have an '08 Bayside and love it. We don't have the potty as we opted for more storage, so can't help you there. The AC gasket is really a maintenance item and will need to be changed at some point. It's less than $20.00 for the gasket and a couple of hours work, mostly unhooking and hooking the AC unit. But it's not hard.
    I think the storage box is roto molded so no rot to worry about!
    The one bad thing on our unit - we found the tires were wearing quickly because the axle had lost it's camber. Don't know if the PO/we over loaded it (unlikely for us, it's just the two of us) or we got a 'bad' axle. We went ahead and replaced the axle and did the spring over at the same time. Other than that we love the unit, and even though we look at TT's and hybrids, we keep coming back to the Bayside and will keep it till we can't set up any longer. (and as our example we camp with a 70+ yr old couple with a popup and they put up the AAR every trip!)
    Good luck!

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have an 04 Utah a sister to the bayside. I have the alumitite roof which is sadly known to leak at the roof mounted bike tracks. I fixed by putting eterna bond down on both sides of the tracks and caulk in front. I believe the 07 may still have this issue so just keep an eye on it and pay attention to any bubbling in the interior ceiling. Personally I'm having trouble believing the unit was stored indoors when it is used as a rental, so rely on what the unit looks like vrs his words. A lot of dealers and RV places fudge the truth to make the sale. Found out mine was stored indoors only during the snowy part of winter, otherwise it sat outside 24/7 but he advertised it as being stored inside. I love the camper, but I've found shops near me refuse to work on it, so I've had to learn to fix whatever broke myself. The front storage trunk is a separate unit and so any leaks doesn't interfere with the camper itself. However at least on mine, moisture has found its way in there. Good luck, hope the unit is as good as it sounds.

5. adidasno21

adidasno21 New Member

OH MY! WOW, overwhelmed at these responses. Thanks so much you guys! What a community!

I will be sure to check out for:
    Functionality of major systems
    Uneven Tire wear
    Ceiling bubbling, and sings of leakage through the roof
    Canvas and screening wear/age/UV Exposure
    Moisture in the front storage box

I will ask to see the area that it was stored inside. It's a small family run place (5 campers, in Ohio), and I just reviewed the satellite image of the address, and they have a HUGE garage on the property, and no campers are parked outside at the moment the satellite image was taken. I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

Do others also think this is an appropriate price for the age of the camper? It seemed appropriate for one in fair condition, and a great deal if it's in very good condition.

6. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Check the roof then double check especially on the inside . look for bubbling rust etc. Replace the A/C gasket if you buy this unit , should be done every 6 or 7 years anyway . Good luck

friartuck likes this.
  7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

The other thing I'd recommend check is all 4 bed rails and bed slides. The rails are silver, and they are attached
    to the camper itself, the bed slides attached to each actual bed. Think of it like a giant desk drawer with the
    telescoping drawer rails. You want to make sure they're not bent and that all four have the appropriate stops.
    Being a rental, my main concern would be "misuse" not "abuse". Usually a large deposit is required to rent
    anything, so I'd imagine for the most part the 'wear and tear' to be normal. It's the "not knowing how things
    work" area that I'd focus on. Bedslides can bend if someone "accidentally" gets on the bed before the support
    posts are in place. There's a thread right now where a member is struggling with getting the replacement to
    fit correctly. I have an '08, and I'm going to be changing a bedslide this weekend. Not horribly expense at
    $67.00 and doesn't look to be a major issue, but something you'll want to inspect. Also, I'd have them set
    the camper up from closed to ready to sleep in, and then watch them do the absolute reverse in closing it up.
    Not that anyone would try to hide something, but you often can't see an issue until you are part of the entire
    process. Good luck, keep us posted, and remember; Pics or it didn't happen!

friartuck likes this.
  8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid to crawl under to check underside. check the plumping. check the Thedford toilet. Also, check the foam mattress.

9. adidasno21

adidasno21 New Member

Good stuff all around!
    I will check the bed rails. I'm familiar with pop ups so I think it will be easy to spot problems.
    I will definitely want to see set up and take down. Over the phone they've been real nice, and said that we can put it up, and take it down a couple times.
    Actually a bit dreary and drizzly out here today so I was planning on taking along some cardboard so I could get underneath it. Here in Ohio salt is an issue, and I'll be interested to see what the undersized looks like.

About the toilet. What should I be looking for ? I'm not intimately familiar with these units and ... really might not realize if anythings wrong.

Thanks again for all your input!

10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If you're lucky, it'll be in the garage when you look at it and you can pop it up in there.

I am not intimately familiar with cassette (or any hehe) toilets but if possible, test it out along with the other systems. No, don't poop in it, but flush down a wad of paper, flush a few times to get water in the tank, and then pull out the cassette to check for leaks and stuff.

11. adidasno21

adidasno21 New Member

Ok guys, thanks for your help. I went out and checked it out today, and well it wasn't brand new. :). It's definitely a used camper with dings and scuffs throughout. I'm going back tomorrow to go back over these areas and make a final decision. Here are the areas that concerned me the most.

Ref. 2007 Fleetwood Bayside, $3600
    -Roof has repairs related to air conditioner, with what I am told was a professional job five or more years ago. (See picture) (looked good to me)
    -Celling is slightly bubbling and is less stiff under air conditioner. Most of the ceiling is in great shape, but noticeably softer under AC. No mold or obvious staining or painting.
    - Vinyl fabric panel around bottom of canvas cracked in two spots. It's been pinched a couple times around the slide out, but not torn. The canvas looks a little dirty, but doesn't smell moldy. It could be some staining, but was hard to tell. Did not smell like Lysol or that they were trying to mask any smells.
    -Hot water tank exhaust looked a little rusty. I will double check this tomorrow.
    -Has emergency brakes that are activated by a chain attached to the tow vehicle in case of separation. I was expecting active electric brakes.

The good:
    -Storage is amazingly bountiful, and clean. No insects our rodents. Front storage box sense really really cool.
    -Slide out Dinette is wonderful and really really really opens the camper up. Love this.
    -Cassette toilet in good shape and seems super convenient. Our family will use this nightly.
    --Galley kitchen in nice shape, upgrade for us.
    -Frame and flooring looked good from underneath.
    -everything works, water pump, furnace, fridge, etc.

I'd love your opinion on the condition, and if the price seems fair to you. I do have experience with pop ups (replaced and repaired lift system in past on Dad's camper) and I'm above average handy. I don't need and can't afford a perfect camper, we will tolerate some bumps and bruises, and really like the floor plan and amenities of this camper. I don't want to over pay though, and the unknown of the roof/ceiling is a bit intimidating.

Any help you can offer is appreciated!
    Sorry if I screwed up the pictures below.

IMG_20180816_201830.jpg IMG_20180816_201830.jpg IMG_20180816_200107.jpg IMG_20180816_201830.jpg IMG_20180816_201830.jpg

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The roof might warent another look. The tape may hold up, is that a crack on top or is it something else? The canvas, as long as it's not brittle shold be ok or can be patched if it's not a big area. It will have breakes, the switch is a breakaway switch. If the trailor becomes disconnected from the tv, it will pull the cord and activate the breaks. The breaks will also be activated through a break controll on your TV during normal driving. The soft spots and bubbling is consistent with water damage. I would reduce the price accordingly .

myride likes this.
  13. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

The roof looks flat. That appears to be eternabond tape or similar. That stuff work great and is permanent. I'm inclined to believe that any roof issues were properly addressed as the sellers said. Structural damage on the roof due to water would result in a sagging roof... I don't see that in the picture.. Maybe as a final test you could have the sellers hit the roof with the hose too rule out any active leaks while you are inside?

14. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Those type of roof cracks usually mean the Roof was cut incorrectly when the AC was installed. I would pass

Adam

emoney likes this.
  15. adidasno21

adidasno21 New Member

Thanks for your input guys! I was thinking exactly as you say Matt, to hit the roof with a hose, or bucket of water ... and see if anything leaks inside.

More insight is welcomed guys, thanks ... this forum is amazing! I've been reading a bunch the past few days.

Matt Benoit likes this.
  16. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

If that is tape , permanent or not I think i'd have to pass , with that A/C unit bouncing around when driving (and it will) that crack will only worsen . Structurally that roof is compromised .

emoney likes this.
  17. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Honestly, if the only major concern seems to be the roof cracks, I would offer slightly less. Just because there are cracks doesn't mean that the roof is a wash. It's also eleven years old... If there was any major structural issues with that roof, it would sag like a mofo around that ac unit. The pictures you posted make the roof appear perfectly flat. This makes me inclined to believe that the cracks present are superficial, and that the eternabond tape was used to prevent water damage which would have caused structural damage. I would express my concern about the roof to the seller and offer 3k. Out of curiosity, is this a Fillion fiberglass roof?

18. adidasno21

adidasno21 New Member

Matt, the 2007 Fleetwood brochure states that its Fillion, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference between it and something else. I posted an album of the pics and movies I took yesterday. I did a terrible job of documenting this, so sorry for that. Feel free to check out here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jkgtz6PFcrmxxzh16

The roof dips a bit in the middle under the AC, but is mostly flat.

Attached Files:

19. adidasno21

adidasno21 New Member

Here's the VIN Sticker: Date of Manufacture, 05/2006

Is this a 2006, or 2007 Fleetwood?

Attached Files:

20. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Probably manufactured in 06 but sold as an 07....happens all the time.