Checking out State Park Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by The McCampers, May 27, 2013.

1. The McCampers

The McCampers New Member

DW and I have a goal of visiting all Georgia State Parks and camping in many of them. Since 2006, when we were tent campers, we have collected the state park campground maps and noted our favorite sites at each. Now that we are PUP people we continue to scope out new State Parks. In preparation for an early August camping trip we will be visiting and marking sites at Unicoi and Vogel for our small PUP. We like shaded and secluded sites somewhat near a bath house. Any recommendations for good sites at either of these parks?

2. The McCampers

The McCampers New Member

Checked out both campgrounds. Vogel certainly does have a lot of campsites that met our criteria. I think that is where we will head at the end of the summer.

3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I have never visited either, but by-and-large, you can't go wrong with Georgia State Parks. The price is right, the maintenance is right and the layout is stellar in all that I've visited. I admire your goal to visit them all. Where are you located and how much travel will you have to the furthest?

4. The McCampers

The McCampers New Member

We live "comfortably south of Atlanta" so we can get to parks in all directions within a several hour drive. So far we have camped at FDR, Indian Springs, High Falls, Hard Labor, Little Ocmulgee, Black Rock Mountain, Hamburg, and Fort McCallister.

5. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

That's a great start! I've been to High Falls and Little Ocmulgee (REALLY great park) and we're targeting Hamburg and Ft. McAllister on our short list.

You should start a blog or something so we can keep track of where you've been.

6. The McCampers

The McCampers New Member

Our favorite has been Hamburg. It is no longer a State Park but is a Recreation Area. No ranger, but still has the volunteer campground host and water showers. Every one of the 30+ sites are on the water. We were there with only 5 other campsites in use, so it was VERY QUIET. Great for people who enjoy fishing. (We don't, but give the DW and me good books to read and we are very content to sit around the campfire reading and relaxing.)

BTW, we do keep a log/journal of each of our camping trips. Someone who had been camping for years suggested it. Helps keep the memories alive.

7. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

The only state park that I stayed at in Georgia when I lived there was Mistle Toe SP. Its over by Augusta about 30 miles west of there. It right on Thurmond lake. It was really nice they had some trails to hike and some backcountry camp spots also. There is a small store at the SP also.

8. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

Have been through both parks but not camped at either one. From what I saw, most of the spots were well shaded. You may also want to throw Amicalola Falls SP into that mix. We stayed there over spring break and it was very nice.