Checklists for packing, restocking, what to keep in the pup

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by hiker74, Apr 13, 2015.

1. hiker74

hiker74 Member

I'm a pretty organized person or I used to be. Now with two kiddos 6 and under I just manage chaos so any tool for organization is really helpful.

This past Saturday we cleaned the inside of the new to us camper and put some of our tent camping items in the unit, i.e. pots and pans, mixing bowls, stove, French press (best way to make camp coffee!), dishes, camp chairs, etc.

Does anyone have a list of what to always keep in the popup? We are trying to keep as little items out of the tow vehicle as we can

One question that keeps coming up.. Do you keep your bedding materials in the popup or do you take those every time? I've head some people use the giant zip lock bags to keep them in the popup, but didn't know

2. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

We take the bedding (sheets, pillows, and blankets) out of the pup each time. I do leave some sleeping bags in there though.

Definitely DON'T leave any food in the PUP. You don't want to attract bugs.

As for anything else. If you have a place to stow it in there and need it for camping, I would leave it in there.

Here's some of the things that I have stowed in ours:
    • Cookware (pots & pans)
    • First Aid Kit
    • Flashlights
    • Weather Radio
    • Hand Sanitizer
    • Board Games / Cards
    • A broom and dust pan
    • Sleeping Bags
    • Walmart Bags
    • Some extra batteries

3. hiker74

hiker74 Member

Thanks

4. alwaysonguard

alwaysonguard Member

I'm in the same boat, managing chaos with 2 under 6. I'm new to the pup and going to track items by a "did we use this" policy. Too many trips without use and it comes out.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Google "RV camping checklists" and "RV maintenance checklists" ... you'll find all kinds.. While many will be more geared to large 5th wheels and motorhomes, a lot of the items are the same for pups..

6. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

A few years ago I found a checklist here on the Portal. It was quite detailed but every item on it is pretty essential. We used it to stock the PUP. A lot of the stuff was in our camping gear and the PO left some things in the PUP.

7. carey3782

carey3782 New Member

I have 3 kids under 5 and my goal is to get it down to only packing food and clothes (+ bedding) each time. I have a master list of supplies and take note of what is stored in the PUP (ours is big so lots if storage space); I just make a note when camping of what I need to restock for next time. I do remove bedding each time, wash it right when we get home so it's ready to go again. I saw one blog idea where the mom did that with clothes, washed and pack them right when she got home and they wore the same outfit camping each time (I haven't tried that yet).

Carey & Gabe + 3 kiddos & 2 dogs
    Nights Camped- '13 {4}; '14 {8}; '15 {10 scheduled so far}

8. sewserious

sewserious New Member

We took older clothes that are still servicable and, more impotantly, comfortable and designated those as camping clothes. I wash them when we get home and repack. We add to them if the weather requires it. I have room in the new camper to leave bedding in there and do. Will wash every 4 or 5 trips as needed. We also have towels,etc just for camping. Those also get washed and repacked right away. We have basic nonperishables and dry goods in a plastic tub that is restocked as needed and it lives in my pantry between trips. All we have to do is throw stuff in the coolers, clothes and food box, firewood, gray water container in the truck, hook up, and go.

9. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

We leave our bedding in the camper during the season, and take them out to wash every 2-3 trips, depending on how dirty they get during the trips. We have designated camper pillows, bedding, and towels. We just added the pillows so we don't have a storage bag for them yet, but we do plan on getting some storage bags to store the pillows in. Most of our bedding all fits into a tub that stays in the camper... then we have additional heavier blankets that go when we will have cooler weather.

If you use it camping and no where else, and have a storage place for it - go for it and leave it in there. We have the same thought - we would like to only have to pack up clothing and food and be on our way.

Here is what I can think of that we store in the camper:
    Camp Stove
    Utensils/Kitchen prep box
    Tub with bedding
    pillows
    Pots and pans
    Roasting sticks, pie irons, griddle, fire basket
    Kitchen items: bag of utensils, paper plates and bowls, disposable coffee cups, Solo cups, paper towels, Foil
    First Aid Kit, Batteries
    Tools, Flashlight, duck tape, rope, tarp
    Trash Bags, Potholder
    Toilet Paper
    Wet Wipes
    Chairs, small side table, lanterns, cleaning supplies
    Bag of games
    Short broom and dustpan
    Dog bowls and tie-outs

That is what I can think of for now.... But while I am camping if I notice I am getting low on something I write it down on my notepad so I know before the next trip I need to restock on those items.
    The only things we don't keep in the camper that go are: box of misc supplies that include flammables (such as small propane bottles, lighters, tie-downs/ratchet straps, etc....), 6 ft folding table, dog tether..... And of course cooler, dry food, and clothing bags

10. hiker74

hiker74 Member

Thanks-forgot about the dog!!!

11. WingShot

WingShot New Member

Here is scan of my packing list. Items under "Inclosed" are kept in the PUP...

[​IMG]

Mike Mac likes this.
  12. troy7997

troy7997 New Member

We wash our bedding as soon as we get home then put it back in the pup for next time. We also keep dishes and silverware and cookware in the pup. I was those after each meal and put them back up. I wash them in large plastic dishpans at the campground. Some things don't get as clean as I like (like the griddle down in the cracks by the handles) and I will wash them again in the sink when I get home, but all of it goes back in the pup. For trips we only pack up our clothes bins, food bins, the pup fridge and the cooler.

Troy7997
    -------------------
    Me - '79, DW - '81, DD - '03, FD - '00

13. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

We keep the bedding in the camper and wash every few trips. 3-6 nights camping and that also depends on if we have had showers or not. I'm not a night showerer anyway so my bedding is usually not great.

We keep the sheets on the bed. The blankets/comforters get folded and placed on the floor in the back. Pillows layed on the table. We keep all of the dishes in the camper as well as gizmos (if you don't have a set spend the money. Best 100 bucks you'll ever spend), propane distro tee, gas lanterns, cleaning supplies, dry food and misc gear in the camper during the summer. We just load up food, clothes and water and go. I guess in the pickup we load generator if needed, fishing gear, bikes, law chairs and grill.

14. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

We leave EVERYTHING except food and clean clothes although there are some clothes stored in the pup like extra sock, sweaters and shoes. Just add food and clothes and we go.

15. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

We pretty much keep everything non-perishable in the TrailManor for the long season (March - November) and change out the bedding about every 2nd or 3rd trip depending on the circumstances and temperature. We keep extra towels and washcloths in a bin in the little bathroom tub and keep circulating the used ones each trip so we have emergency/additional towels on hand with fresh ones. We never forget to replenish the paper goods (TP, paper towels) or toilet chemical deodorizer, toothpaste, hand soap, or dishwashing soap/cleaners. As for blankets, we use lightweight individual blankets and also keep a queen size throw handy for chilly nights when we don't run a heater.

We store our 2 gravity and 2 director chairs, gray water tank, camp kitchen, stove, patio mat, broom and sponge mat in the cabin floor along with the removable overhead cabinet and microwave. We leave room near the door for our non-refrigerated food box and sometimes our inflatable kayaks.

After reading this, it sounds like we're bringing our house with us!! Obviously, depending on the trip length and distance, we modify some of the take-along stored items (i.e., sometimes the camp kitchen or no kayaks), but our built-in storage always has tools, gadgets, outdoor lighting, small clip on cabinet fan, portable heater, games of all sorts, and bungee cords.

(We use the bungee cords hooked together under the bed end for hanging/drying towels and swim suits.)

16. hiker74

hiker74 Member

I'm thinking we may get a fitted sheet for the kids end bunk and then let them continue to use their sleeping bags as they really like them

As for my wife and I we will bring complete bedding and maybe do the every few times washing idea. I like the idea of at least keeping the comforter in the camper in maybe a giant ziplock bag and maybe do the sheets the same way...Anyway to get us on the road quicker. I would like to get to a point of not even needing the Yakima rooftop box...that would be a good accomplishment!

17. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

hiker74,

After reading everyone's list realize what works for you will be specific to you and your family. Over the last few years we've constantly changed our lists to reflect the type of trip we take and who we take with us. There are a few things that don't change but there are minor mods for each trip.

Example: Our upcoming trip to the Keys will include Grandma so lots of things get changed. Not only do I have to pack differently (snorkel and scuba gear) but I lose a significant amount of space in the TV which must be compensated for somewhere. Best of luck.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Each family's list will be different, depending on make up of the family, time of year, activities, and so on. Our lists have been in progress for over 20 years, we have had ground camping versions, backpacking ones and ones for the pup and TT, including ones for DH to take a backpack trip while I base camp. We add and subtract as our supplies and equipment change. Storage space in the pup also makes a big difference. Our pups were both small, so even with only two people, there wasn't a lot of space to keep bedding and the like packed; we still had a well-packed TV. (We chose bedding according to expected temperatures, too.) We'll be able to keep more packed in the TT, but food boxes will still be in the TV.
    We have not given up the roof top carrier. We tried a couple of trips without it, and have realized that the "attic space" is very handy for us. On longer trips, it is nice to put supplies only needed for part of the trip in the roof box, so we're not working around them all the time. Since we have day and backpacks, the box is a better place than in the TV. Our goal this year, the first full season with the TT, is to clear out the back seat of the TV, rather than eliminating the roof top box.

19. hiker74

hiker74 Member

20. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Most of basic and essential things I leave in my popup... that way I don't have to carry stuff back home. The stuff I bring from home are changes of clothes, utensils, food and beverages. Oh that 2.4 cu fridge I bring from home...