Cheese Head Tenter to PUP newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jasba, Mar 7, 2016.

1. jasba

jasba Member

Hi! My family is new to the PUP world. My husband and I both grew up tenting across the country and roughing it in the BWCA. It is an exciting switch to camp with a popup. We are hoping we don't regret it. He is a bit anxious about the extra up keep of a PUP. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can about how to organize and enjoy it.

2. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

Welcome! My family and I have a long history of backcountry camping from Alaska to Maine and a bunch of places in between. I never thought I would be hauling around a pop up. Never in a million years!

We were offered one last year for a price I couldn't refuse ( free) and I said sure.

We love it! I still spend 25-30 nights a year in a tent on the ground but I sure did enjoy those 4 trips with a pop up last season. We already have 5 trips planned for 2016 with it.

It's a different style of camping for sure coming from tents but it has many advantages.

Like most every pop up owner you will learn to love the mods and upkeep that go along with them. Just don't let the required maintainance go unchecked for too long. That's when the heart ache arrives. Enjoy!!

3. bondebond

bondebond New Member

LOL, I can just see your husband now, trying to portage a PUP through the BWCA. The good news is the PUP has its own wheels... [:D] I thought about making a ski sled for the PUP since we lived in Northern Wisconsin, but thankfully I didn't have access to a welder then.

Welcome. We did the same thing years ago. We still enjoy tenting and now that the kids are older, making small treks is a blast. But by and large, we camp in the PUP. In fact, we set it up this weekend and each kid spent a night with just Dad at Camp Driveway. Good times.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Welcome from northern VA. Even though I have a popup I still occasionally take a tent out. For one, I enjoy kayak camping once in awhile and just haven't figured out how to kayak the pup to these off shore places. [:O]. Like someone else says, it is a different kind of camping. It has a lot of positives, but does have a few negatives as well.

5. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Welcome from the western Fox Valley. :)
    Check out the WI rally threads. We have a couple on for this year so far and we have a great bunch of fun people.

6. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

Welcome from S E Wisconsin on Lake Michigan.

7. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Welcome from fellow cheese heads in Kenosha!

8. jasba

jasba Member

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Over the last couple of months I have really enjoyed exploring all of the information on this forum. Now I am really getting started. We finally setup up our new PUP in the driveway. The kids are enjoying using it as a playhouse for now. It has been too cold to sleep in it since we don't have it prepped with a heater yet. I am going through all of our camping gear and make plans to fit it all in. Two reservation have been made so far but I look forward to many more.
    I now need to research roof maintenance for our fiberglass roof. It is the only part I am really concerned about at this point. It is pretty dirty and has a places with hairline cracks that I am unsure of. We had rain and I didn't noticed any leaks. How do I tell if they will be an issue. I looked through the threads but I couldn't find anything that really fit what I was looking for. Any links that might help me?

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Welcome from Northern NJ!!

All I can say is that when tenting the ground gets harder every year!!!

Enjoy the NTU pup!