Childress, TX

Discussion in 'Texas' started by empope, Apr 15, 2013.

1. empope

empope New Member

We will be doing an overnighter on the way to the Grand Canyon and be in the Childress area. The only campground that I have found that aren't way off the main road is Best Western Motel and RV Park and one called Childress City Park. Anyone been to either of these or have another suggestion? I don't think that we can make it to Amarillo in one day from south MS. If we can't make Childress, we could stop earlier at Ole Town Cotton Gin RV park in Quanah, Tx that looks pretty good.

2. Indy

Indy Member

I'm from Houston so I'm not up that way too often. But you mentioned Quanah... what about Copper Breaks State Park in Quanah?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/copper-breaks

I haven't been there, but I spoke to a park host on one of our trips who recommended it as a nice park. They had hosted there too.

Another I can recommend is Caprock Canyon in Quitaque TX, which is a little further. We camped in North Texas and made a day trip in to Caprock Canyons. The landscape there is just lovely, and the free roaming bison and prairie dogs are neat too. It felt more "Texas" than any other park I've been to yet, and I'm a native Houstonian with quite a bit of camping under my belt.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/caprock-canyons

Here's a pic of my son and my puppy in Caprock last year (Indiana, you're looking the wrong direction!)

[​IMG]

Not sure how far off the path they are.

3. empope

empope New Member

Thanks for the ideas! Caprock looks beautiful - but since we are on the way to see THE canyon, I am holding off on going to parks with smaller canyons :) Copper Breaks looks promising. Thanks again.

4. Indy

Indy Member

Well that makes sense! I didn't even think about your final destination... duh. :)

Sounds like a great trip! How long are you taking? One day we will make it there. I feel like it is SO FAR away that we need a ton of time to do it, but Houston is quite a bit closer than MS. I'd love to hear updates on your plans and details about the trip afterward!

5. empope

empope New Member

We have two LOOOONG days - 12 hours and then we will be three hours away. We are shooting for overnighters at Quanah and then at Homolovi State Park near Winslow, AZ (and YES, I am planning on standing on the corner there). Then we will have 2 1/2 days at the canyon and 1 day in Sedona. On the way back, we will make a side trip to Lubbock to see the Buddy Holly center. Leave on a Saturday - get home on a Saturday. Our 12 year old is approved to miss one week of school - so away we go! Leaving on the 27th and already too excited to sleep :)

6. merc

merc Member

While Palo Duro Canyon is a fun place to visit, we preferred the camping at Caprock Canyon. Copper Breaks is not bad for a quick stop over. Lake Arrowhead south of Wichita Falls is also decent, and was my favorite fishing spot when I was stationed at Sheppard AFB. We never stayed at any of the city/county parks when we were there though.

7. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Nice picture Indy, Someday I would love to visit that area.

8. Indy

Indy Member

Thanks Shelmily. I've lived my whole life in Houston and finally made it up that way last fall for Thanksgiving. I've yet to make it up to Palo Duro Canyon, but that's on the to-do list. Actually, the to-do list is way too long and ever-growing. :) I have only seen a bit of the Texas panhandle, but it was everything I expected. Roadrunners and canyonlands and tumbleweed -- my husband thought I was insane, but I got so excited when we actually saw tumbleweed tumbling across the highway! LOL

Merc mentioned Lake Arrowhead, and it is an ok place. We used it as our home base for that Thanksgiving trip last fall. The prairie dogs were the best part of it - the campsites were just ... meh. It wasn't crowded though, that's for sure. An easy place to roll into late at night and just sleep til morning, but I don't think it is quite as far as you're hoping to make it on day 1.

The trip sounds fabulous (but tiring) empope. Be sure to come back and update with pictures. I'm planning to hit Big Bend and White Sands in an 11-day excursion this summer, and possibly Palo Duro and Colorado on our 2014 excursion. Maybe by 2015 we'll be ready for the long haul out to Grand Canyon -- never too soon to start planning. :)