chimneys

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by hoosier_gal, Aug 14, 2013.

1. hoosier_gal

hoosier_gal New Member

I'm interested in do cooking the next time we go camping and I'm wondering about chimneys. I've never used one, know nothing about them but would like to try when my new do gets here.

So, I looked on Amazon and saw collapsible chimneys but neither model has any reviews. anyone has used a collapsible model?

I figure the extra space would be a bonus when transporting in the pup. Anyone used one or want to recommend a chimney? [CP]

2. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I have never heard of a collapsible chimney before. I have used several others though. The cheap tin ones from Walmart (I don't recommend them). Also have a charbroil one from Lowes, and have tried the good Weber ones with the plastic handle. These are both nice, but share the same problem. They are tall and narrow. By the time you get the charcoal on the top started, the stuff on the bottom is burnt up. I now have one from Camp Chef that is wider, and shorter. It works very well, you can put about 20 pieces on the bottom alone, with no waste. Because of this, it takes less time to start coals. Worth looking at.

Here is a link to the product site, but you can get them cheaper at Amazon.

http://www.campchef.com/charcoal-lighter-basket.html

3. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

Weber has a smaller chimney now. The compact chimney. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009IH0ICG/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&tag=thevirtualweberb

I always half filled my chimney in the past but am gonna get one of these. I also have a tendency to use chimney in fire pit if wood is of poor quality. It dries out faster and lights easier... Dual purpose for chimney.

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

5. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

I have the standard weber chimney.

One trick is to drizzle the newspaper with a little veg oil before lighting. Slows the burn down and catches the charcoal every time.

6. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I use the cheap chimney...works great! I went the cheap route because I didn't know if I would like them. I have been using the cheap one for over 2 years now. When it finally falls apart on me, I will spend the money to buy a little better one.

7. hoosier_gal

hoosier_gal New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm still on the fence about the Kingford collapsible but if I don't go with it, I'll definitely go with one of these suggestions. The fact that it folds flat is really intriguing since I'm always looking for more space in the pup. But, I also don't want a dud either.

I have a few weeks til our next trip so I might try it and if I'm not happy I'll have time to return and get a one of these.

8. canuckblues

canuckblues Member

Go with the Cheaper one first

9. grubbster

grubbster New Member

I have a Flatbar foldable chimney. It is all stainless steel and will hold a lot of charcoal. Folds flat to store anywhere. They are not cheap but they are the Cadillac of chimneys. Also nice to not have to worry about rust. It is similar to but about twice as expensive as the Kingsford one on Amazon. If stainless is not a concern of yours it looks like a nice chimney.

10. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Wow, just looked these up, the foldable SS chimney. Now I really want one, but it sure is pricey. But, it will last a lifetime :) Does anyone not use a chimney to start coals for the DO? Is this the only way to avoid using lighter fluid? Can I just start the coals in a regular fire and then pull them out to place around the DO, but then there won't really be room in the fire pit. I just ordered a DO on Amazon and sort of need a full walk through.

11. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

AFAIK, chimneys are the only practical way to avoid using lighter fluid. You could start a small traditional fire and throw briquettes in/around it but a chimney is a much quicker way to go. FWIW, I've been using chimney for decades and a couple of yrs. ago left it at home when camping to try and save some room. Used lighter fluid. Never again. Food tastes terrible. Tried some briquettes that are self-lightin but they didn't fare much better. IMO, chimneys are the only way to go and I do have a flatbar chimney. Your right, not cheap but will last forever unless you bend it somehow. And folding flat makes it easier to store.

12. Beerlifter

Beerlifter Oklahoma, It's not just for Indians anymore!

Laugh if you must but I use a propane torch I picked up at Harbor freight, faster and all coals are evenly lite and ready to use in about 3 minutes (for a twelve DO). The torch runs off one of the small coleman propane bottles that are readily available in the camper. Torch set me back all of a twenty dollar bill.

13. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Good idea on the propane torch.

For the newbies to chimneys. The way I do it is fill the chimney and crumble up a sheet of news paper. (actually it's about 1 page of a standard paper ripped along the fold) Put it under the chimney and light. When there's no more smoke coming from the chimney, the coals are ready.

14. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

So, after reading more about the collapsible chimneys, I've discovered they are way too big for my needs. I don't need to start 100 pieces of charcoal, only about 30, so I ended up buying the compact Weber chimney and it is just perfect. I don't plan on making more than 1 DO dish at a meal so 30 pieces of charcoal are plenty. I've already made an apple crisp and dump cake, and I love how easy the chimney works. I definitely recommend the compact Weber if you are cooking for just a small group or a small meal.

15. bfahs

bfahs Member

My dad made his own chimneys.
    #10 can
    Remove top and bottom with can opener
    Air holes along the bottom from one of those old school triangular can openers
    Drill some holes 1/4-1/3 up.
    Cut pieces of a wire coat hanger to make grate to hold the coals.

16. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

We use fatwood to start our campfires and our charcoal in the hibachi. It's very resinous to the point of being translucent in places. Just natural untreated wood from pine stumps, so there's no chemicals, nothing to spill, works when damp, and a bag of these last us a whole season.

For the grill, I take one stick and split it up into several straw-size sticks with a pocket knife, break them in half, and place them in a tepee shape. I stack the charcoal around and light the fatwood. In a minute or two, you have a very hot fire that starts the coals quickly. Lights with one match.

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/fuel/4-lb-fatwood-firestarters/p-1331913-c-6855.htm

17. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Lots of great info! Fatwood- hmm, never heard of it but will be getting some at Menards as soon as the Arctic freeze leaves northern IL! When we were running out of coals for the DO last time, we scooped up some from the fire we had going. It worked well. I've decided that we do best DO cooking in another spot to the side of fire pit- more controllable.