Choke Canyon State Park - TX

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by TX_F2, Jan 25, 2012.

1. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

This was our first trip of 2012, and it was a last minute decision just so that we could go somewhere fairly close to home (about 1 hr away). This state park is primarily known for great fishing because the state park is on a 25,670 acre reservoir. It does not have a reputation for much else though.

We are not big on fishing, we like it but we are more the type just to be happy fishing, we no doubt use the wrong type of bait or lures for the type of place we are fishing at but we don't care because we have fun anyway. So we didn't expect much on this trip since the parks notoriety is serious fishing, like parking lots full of $30k fishing boats with matching trailers kind of fishing.

So much for reputations. [:O]

There are 2 miles of easy hiking trails, a 1 mile bird watching trail, tennis courts, volleyball court, full basketball court, and wildlife education center just to name a few things.

Our campsite was level, all electric sites have 50amp & 30amp hookups, covered picnic tables, lamp post to hang your lantern, and a fire ring with grill. The sites were well spaced apart, and we had a great waterview since we stayed on a waterside site. The bathhouse was a little rundown on the inside, but it was clean.

Here is some of the wildlife we saw in the park:

Deer
    Javelina
    Turkey Vultures
    Armadillo
    Rabbits
    Bats
    Blue Indigo snake (about 8 ft long)
    Cardinals
    Green Jays
    Falcons
    Wild Turkeys
    Turtles
    Owl
    Snowy Egret
    Blue Heron
    Great Egret
    White Ibis

We had a great time, and because this was one of the very few state parks in TX that is not in a county currently under a burn ban, we were allowed to have a campfire for the first time in about 8 months !! [:D]

Almost all TX state parks have had burn bans for at least the last 6 - 8 months, so having a campfire was a big deal for us since we go camping once a month.

This park really has a lot more to do and see other than just fishing.

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Where is this park in TX? Sounds good for kids.

3. shfd739

shfd739 Member

It's about halfway between San Antonio and Corpus Christi. Just west of Three Rivers, TX off I37.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

ooh, a little far from oklahoma for a weekend. [:(]

5. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

I had to look up what a Javelina was. Interesting critter.

Next time I'm playing tourist in San Antonio, I'll have to take a daytrip to the park. Thanks!