Choosing a battery

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Natureangel, Mar 10, 2020.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Have you got your power set up done? I pulled my camper out of the snowdrift and took out my solar set up if you want/need any info on the hook up/wires etc. Hope you’re still planning on coming. Things should be back to normal by then.

2. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Still waiting on the shop to install the new converter

gladecreekwy likes this.
  3. gladecreekwy

Well they’ve only had it month!

4. Natureangel

Exactly!

5. Natureangel

Going on second month and I’m still waiting. I’ve purchased a couple solar chargers and I’m thinking I’ll keep this one.

ALLPOWERS 100W Solar Charger (Dual 5v USB with iSolar Technology+18v DC Output) Portable Solar Panel for Laptop, Tablet, ipad, iPhone, Samsung, Notebooks, 12v Car, Boat, RV Battery, Camping, Hiking https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075YRKVMH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rg1MEbG9JXVND

it is incredibly lightweight and compact.
    I am planning on getting a group 31 battery still and hope this all comes together.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I'd of picked it up by now and done it myself.
    It's not that hard.

7. Natureangel

I found the spaghetti mess of wires a bit much!

8. WVhillbilly

They come like that from the factory.
    Battery is a straight swap.
    Charge controller will hook on the battery on one end and the solar panels on the other.

If you only half know what you're doing you're probably better off than some of the guys I've seen working in a RV dealer's shop.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

10. gladecreekwy

That will definitely work but you may have a challenge positioning it to catch max sun.

11. Natureangel

while I will be driving around the park I will be going on many long hikes. Not sure if that would be enough. I am getting longer cords to help position in sun. I am concerned about possible theft of the solar system.

12. Natureangel

They just wrote me ad let me know it was put in the shop on Thursday and it will be done on Tuesday!

WVhillbilly likes this.
  13. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Yellowstone is vast. You will spend more than enough time driving.

14. davido

davido Active Member

Start by choosing the highest capacity battery that can fit the space allotted for it. Next, upgrade in battery technology to the degree your budget has space allotted for it.

To put it more clearly: Buy the biggest you can fit. Upgrade to AGM in that big size if there's room in your budget to do so. Capacity is more important in this application than modern technology.

I can fit two Group-24 batteries, or one Group 29, or Group 29. I couldn't possibly fit a Group 31. So for me, the largest capacity is two group 24s. I have no need for AGM, though. I mean really, I keep the fluid topped off, I keep the battery tender on the bank. My batteries sit upright. Flooded is fine.

15. davido

davido Active Member

A 23AH battery? That's a strange capacity. I imagine it was a Group 24, probably rated 75-80AH. 10"x?? isn't a precise enough measurement to be able to purchase correctly. You'll need to measure it. You want width, height, and depth. Then look up sizing for a Group 24, Group 27, Group 29, and Group 31. Buy the largest that will fit.

Consider this: If you run the furnace, charge phones, have halogen lights, play the radio, etc., it doesn't require an extended period of time off-grid to run the battery down. A couple of nights will do it. If you avoid using the furnace, and swap to LED lights, you can get a lot longer. If you do need the furnace, investigate whether a dual battery setup will fit, or add solar, or bring a generator.

16. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

Did you figure out a battery?

I've been going through the process myself and have pretty much settled on a Battleborn battery. Since you can use the full rated capacity of Lithium and they can last up to 10 times longer than AGM or Flooded, the pricing makes sense. That is if you can get over the sticker shock up front.

17. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

That's what I was going to note, if a person goes with a flooded battery, you can only use half it's capacity without killing it.

18. WVhillbilly

I'm sure they are great, but at $1800 for 2 batteries I'd have to be camping a LOT to justify that.

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Same is true of AGM and GEL. ;)

BBQdave likes this.
  20. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

My power needs are minimal (cell phone charging) being in a tent :)

If I step up to a PUP, will go with a flooded battery (inexpensive) and will try to keep my power needs minimal.

Solar has really come down in price. Renogy has a 100w suitcase with 10a PWM controller for $250. Will Prowse (solar guru) did a comparison of various controllers and found not much difference in minimal use scenarios between the PWM and MPPT controllers. Of course, as your power consumption and battery bank increases, best to get a MPPT controller. I will try to keep power consumption low, so PWM should be fine.

I like that you can move the suitcase panels into the sun and park the trailer in the shade :)