Christmas camping at the Triangle T in Dragoon AZ

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by HiFiDave, Dec 28, 2015.

1. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

After years and years of putting up the decorations, entertaining guests, kids, grand kids then cleaning up after it all, we finally said enough. This year we were not putting on the show and taking off to do some winter desert floor camping. It was going to be all about US, and prayer on that special day.

But we didn't want to drive far. Hmmmmm where could we go that we have not already been? I come home from work and my wife says, "I booked it!" An hour drive away and we can be staying at the Triangle T Guest ranch near Dragoon AZ. Wow, what a great idea as I scoped out the place on line. http://www.azretreatcenter.com/

So Wednesday we are all loaded up, hooked up and we head out in the morning. Before you could say, are we there yet, we are pulling into the ranch. We get checked right in and backed into site no. 2. Nice spot! Big tree, huge boulders and the only picnic bench. Did I mention full hook ups too for only 33.00 a night!? (Was supposed to be 38.00, we didn't argue).

Once we are set up we start wandering around. Walked over to a building they used in the 1957 movie 3:10 to Yuma. Pretty kewl. Hotel Impossible did a feature show on this guest ranch and Anthony helped the owner with issues she had there. One can park an RV there, maybe about 15 spots or they can boon dock all over the ranch in real nice places. There is also casitas to rent of different sizes. Bring your horse, they have all kinds of corrals.

Christmas eve day we went for an outstanding horse back ride. I felt bad for the cowboy guide having to work the Eve so as I shook his hand when we met, I spotted him a 20.00 He was great about it all though and my wife and I were the only ones on the trip with him. Anyway, the trail ride was as I said, outstanding and we hit some tough yet so fun mountain trails to vista views that were breath taking.

Later that evening the owner of the property left so James the horse wrangler and his wife came to our site. He said, "here, let me show you how to make a bon fire". Ok, go for it I said seeing how I didn't have much wood. Sure enough, he comes back with all kinds of wood and man, did we end up with a huge bed of coals and a roaring fire. He then breaks out his guitar and man o man could he play. Whoda thunk it, I was surprised I tell ya. But, it was awesome there around the fire, cowboy playing the guitar, drinking a cold one. James really made our trip I tell ya.

Next morning, Santa came to our pop up!! OMG (snicker [:D] ) I mean, I couldn't let the lil woman not get a wrapped gift or two now could I? Was a bish smuggling em past her I tell ya. She handed me one gift and I opened it to find the 9mm Beretta Nano I had been crying for all year!! She did it, she did it! Got Daddy the pocket carry he so wanted. Tooooo kewl

Christmas day we went driving around, drove into Dragoon. Hole in the wall town and of course that day, it was dead as a door nail. We drove further down the road, turned toward the mountain and traveled back to a remote spot to try out the Nano. She also wanted to shoot her Ruger so we ripped off some rounds and to sum it up, the Nano was sweet, sweet, sweet! 9mm stopping power in my pocket, luv it! Prolly get an ankle holster for it though cause of how I have to dress daily.

We went back to camp and got to making Christmas dinner. Cooked up a honey ham in the DO and zapped a vegetable medley. Was YUMMO! My first DO try and it came out like a champ! That night we fired up the propane fire pit, sat around listening to classic Christmas music, she face booked, called family and I smoked a big ol cigar LOL We later retired to the pup, put on a movie from the Raspberry pie flash drive and chilled.

The Texas canyon area where the Triangle T resides is unique and very neat, if you are going through on I-10 past Benson there it's worth slowing down and checking it out. Pull off on exit 318, maybe drive into the ranch have a drink at the saloon! The horse back rides at the ranch are a super value and unique. Well worth doing if you can. The saloon/restaurant on the Triangle T is kewl too. It's called "The Rock". Know why? Well...right in the middle of the darn thing is one HUGE rock!! No kidding, the bar surrounds this giant boulder, crazy. Food is good, and they will mix you up any drink you want. WiFi was excellent at our camp spot and that was surprising. It was nice to have as we felt closer to the kids/grand kids sharing face book pics and notes.

I'm sure we will be back there cause the horseback riding is so great. I hope James will be around when we do but after talking to him, I kinda doubt he will be. Seems employees come and go often around there, one of the owners failings in her management skills. This Christmas for us was really neat. Strange feeling in a way but no doubt wonderful and fun. Winter camping on the desert, luv it! [A]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1957 3:10 to Yuma set building

[​IMG]

Me and my hog-leg single action .45 loaded up with black powder. Jes like the days of old, lots of smoke! FUN! LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full moon, camp fire songs around the roaring fire. Awesome...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we were pulling out, James came up to say adios. I thanked him again and gave him all the last beers we had in the ice chest. "James, let me get this pic" LOL Thanks cowboy ya nut!

[​IMG]

2. HiFiDave

[​IMG]

3. HiFiDave

4. HiFiDave

Alas, another year raced by. Woke up and....it's Christmas again! We speak of this trip so, so fondly, it was very special for us in so many ways. Well, this year we are home putting on the show but being in between job contracts I have time to kick back and enjoy family God Bless all...

[​IMG]

5. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

We may just have to haul the P'up down there one weekend in the near future. Probably not much farther than going to Kartchner Caverns from Tucson.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

It sure does feel like that anymore! Time is fleeting...

Merry Christmas to you and thanks for bumping this. I enjoyed reading and see the pics. [CP]

7. HiFiDave

You know, I would recommend it. Call ahead, get a spot. However, around the ranch there are some neat boon dock sites too. As we drove around the place, there was one I really liked tucked back in the rocks towards the south end. Don't know who the wrangler is now as James quit but, the horse back riding is cheap and fun!

8. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

Love seeing this thread! We are just throwing around the idea of where to go for New years! We may have to check this out, thank you!

9. HiFiDave

You're very welcome. What part of AZ ya'll in?

Wow, I bet New Years Eve there is a hoot! The ol saloon prolly gets a rockin. The property is big so even if you couldn't reserve an rv spot with power etc. you could quite likely boon dock somewhere there. This way if you blood alcohol is point "barely" over the limit, you won't come across any check points driving back to camp. Hmmmm you got me thinkin now, New Years there wouldn't be a bad idea!