chronic camper shopping

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by penny, Apr 24, 2019.

1. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I have to wonder if anyone else has my obsession.

I love our camper, it is a good weight and floor plan for us and our TV. Nothing wrong at all with it. Yet I have some weird obsession with looking at campers for sale. new stuff, old stuff, bargains, oddity I enjoy looking at them. do we need a slide? more windows? dinette as opposed to couch and table?

I suppose it is that I'd rather be camping.

If I get too involved, I go out and putter around in the trailer, then I am reminded how perfect it is. It is so nice, that my SIL wants me to look for something like it for them. My son's family is also shopping for a trailer for them. Luckily, I can browse for these shoppers, but I still start to think, "wonder if that one would be better for us?"

I'm semi-laid up waiting for my knee to get better after gelsyn injections and-next stop, knee replacement. I'm hoping to get a few more months of summer activity before that. I think looking at "what's out there" is one way to chill while I ice the knee.

Mat Kyne and Orchid like this.
  2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I understand your position. My DW thinks I'm possessed. We have 3 campers and I'm still always looking.

3. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

No you are not alone. I spent so much time looking at the five dealers here in Albuquerque hoping to find the right trailer that I find myself still looking almost a year later.

Mat Kyne likes this.
  4. penny

penny Well-Known Member

ahh! good to know.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I peruse the local RV dealer listings and Craigslist often. I like to see what it out there, where the prices are at, etc. It also makes me realize that I have a pretty decent pup compared to some of the Craigslist crap.

Mat Kyne and Orchid like this.
  6. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

There's probably something in your childhood that you can blame for this.

I've been interested in floorplans (house, RV, whatever) since I was small. My parents built their house from a kit and I loved their catalog of kit homes. My friends played with dolls while I studied any floorplan that I came across, thinking about things like plumbing, wasted space, and traffic patterns. And still do, so you are not alone.

momofEAP and Orchid like this.
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I look, partly just to see what's out there. So far, any time I've looked more closely since we bought the TT, I/we've come away content with what we have. It was the same when we had the pups, until we needed to move on from each one. First one was really too small for the two of us, my back got too cranky to deal with the second one.

8. penny

penny Well-Known Member

looking back, my dad was a frequent car buyer. He was an engineer and surveyor and flew his plane to many small towns in NM for his business. He would buy a cheap old car and park it at the airport in several these rural grass strip airports. then he would use it as a survey wagon. Sometimes he would bring them home and maybe that is where I get it from. My DH says he was a gypsy and I am too as I want to travel all the time. Andrea, I do the same thing!

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yup , im going woth boredom also, if you were out camping or fixing or moding the camper you wouldn't be looking! Probubly almost as bad as looking for stuff i dont need for the camper on amazon! Dont worry, its not a bad thing or contiguous. And get better!

10. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

I love looking. Whether it is campers or houses. We go to several of the rv shows and also like to go to the Parade of Homes (several local builders build homes in a new neighborhood and folks pay to go through them like an open house). I just like to look and see what is new. Hope your recovery is quick and uneventful.

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think we may be related! :laugh: Not too many days go by without me looking at campers for sale. I have no intention of buying one. I'm perfectly happy with what we have. I do love it when a friend or family member is in the market, as it gives me an excuse to shop for one!

Prior to the internet, I used to cruise RV sales lots and look in them all. This is not a new obsession for me.

I'm also recovering from knee surgery, just had a total replacement in March. Second one scheduled for July 8th. I just finished today with my recovery time project of covering our dinette cushions with Marine vinyl.

I've also purchased some new camping equipment while was laid up. Thankfully, recovery went MUCH faster than I originally anticipated. Heading out camping two weeks from today and will be walking miles on the beach with only one knee in pain, instead of two.

momofEAP and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is really interesting. I too, had a big interest in drawing floorplans and "use of space" situations since I was a kid. Nothing like a catalog home in my past, although that would have been amazing! There was one near where we used to live in Laurel, MD, and I used to go past it, studying it with great interest. I would have loved to see the inside.

I have lots of notebooks full of floorplans and landscaping/lot plans I've done over the years. I have no idea what spurred my interest, but I was a "tiny house" designer way before it was a thing. Not sure I would want to live in one, but I sure can make great use of space on paper! :)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

It is a favorite pass-time for me... since I discovered Craigslist and bought my first pup... free time is often spent looking at CL and local dealer's websites, just to see what's out there!

14. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Ouch! Good luck with your recovery. I chill this way for no more reason than it’s the end of the day.

15. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

So inquiring minds would like to know - just what is this perfect camper of yours? :smiley:

momofEAP likes this.
  16. penny

penny Well-Known Member

HAHA--today, it is a 2016 starcraft AR one 18QB. we have done a few mods that make it work better for us. it is narrow at 7' and light at 3050# "dry". TV has limit of 5000#, so we really don't want to go bigger. wishes? maybe a slide, more windows, bathroom sink. But it is a BIG step up from anything else we have had. just enough comforts without being over the top loaded. two I like best? power awning is a huge deal for me, and I honestly love the water heater that I can push a button while inside to light. silly, I know, but a big thing just the same. Oh, and a "real" bathroom that I can actually move around enough to get dressed in. trade off, we brush our teeth and the bathtub is the sink.

Orchid, I'm SO glad to hear your recovery went fast! gives me hope, thanks!

Orchid likes this.
  17. penny

penny Well-Known Member

and probably another topic, I like to look to see what is being marketed that is completely unavailable locally. for example, I've not seen a Venture sonic lite "in person", but I would sure like to. Livinlite isn't sold around here either. and I'm always seeing some great design but our local sales places don't carry them.

I'm really glad to see we are in such good company!

18. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Ha! If you want to see trailers that make what we have available here in N America look so pitiful check out Australian caravan offerings. My BIL and his wife recently purchased an Avan Frances "hard top caravan" and it's gorgeous, saw one myself a couple of years ago at the Moss Vale outdoor show.

https://www.avan.com.au/our-range/hard-tops/display/14-500-series-hardtop

Good friends of ours recently purchased a Vacationer Roughrider semi off road caravan - makes the junk produced here look like ... well, JUNK. :(

https://www.vacationercaravans.com.au/rough-rider

penny likes this.
  19. penny

penny Well-Known Member

that is so very, very true! My fondest dream--the VW westfalia "California", ironically not available in the US of A. And the crazy cute Japanese caravans, wow. so many genius designs, sleek, well made and engineered to last.

20. penny

penny Well-Known Member

yesterday we had to go to El Paso, and we drive right by the Camping World there. I wanted to stop and see a murphy bed hummingbird they got in. Well, the couch and bed part of the little trailer were amazing. I was very impressed with the whole "living area". The windows were delightful and the couch comfortable. the bed dropped easily and there was good space around it. But the kitchen was not good for me. squeezed into a little dark corner at the other end, sharing the width with the bathroom next to it. Neither did I like the whole chunk of space taken up by the "entertainment center". But the murphy bed is a really nice feature.