Cigars and fresh air

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Eskimorob, Sep 4, 2017.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If I'm sitting around my campsite, I'm not likely to want to just move and deal with it.

retiredmikey likes this.
  2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I am not sure about smells at campsites. If it is an issue then the campsites are probably too close together. What about cooking smells, they can be just as bad or worse than cigar smoke. I don't like the smell of fish cooking on a fire.

retiredmikey likes this.
  3. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Well, not to be rude, but if you came into my campsite complaining about tobacco smoke, those are the alternatives I would present to you. This is still a free country and tobacco is not illegal (yet)...

Adam

4. chambo

chambo Active Member

I wouldn't want to smell it just like you wouldn't want to smell whatever is emanating from my body. o_O I doubt I would say anything though, as it would most certainly lead to some sort of confrontation (and who knows how crazy either one of us might be) and I perceive my chances of changing your mind to be very low. And it's a free country. And you aren't breaking any laws. So enjoy your smoke. I might be irritated but I'll still have a good time and I'll probably talk about you behind your back. :)
    Most of the other smells I would consider to be "normal" for camping. A camp fire, food cooking, lantern hiss, raccoons farting in trees, etc. My objection to cigar smoke (or cigarettes) is that it is very strong and noticeable and seems to linger.

5. tfischer

I have never confronted anyone about this yet. I can think of only one time that it bothered me at a campsite. It was indeed a cigar, and the campsites weren't all that close together but the wind was headed right in our direction.

The OP asked "how do you feel about cigar smoke" and that is why I replied.

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

raccoons farting in trees...
    Now that has got to be an objectionable odor!! [:D]

7. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

We had a light dusting of ash today here in Seattle from the fires in the region. That's a first from all the years I've lived here.

As to the OP's question, I'm an ex-smoker. Cigar, cigarette and pipe smoke are still fine with me - as long as you're not blowing it in my face. There are other smells that I find more repulsive: fermented diapers, vomit, rotting meat..

And for us old-ish folks that can remember when you could smoke on airplanes: pipes and cigars weren't allowed, but you could chain-smoke like the dickens and that was fine. o_O

retiredmikey likes this.
  8. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I know what it is like to have ashes fall on your head or inhaled while walking.
    Yes, I can remember smoking on planes, and believe a rotting corpse is the worse smell.

retiredmikey likes this.
  9. tfischer

Hard to disagree with that. Fortunately people don't typically walk around outside emitting these odors.

10. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

That's one that I'm glad to not have experienced (yet).

Burnt microwave popcorn. Seems to linger forever. Add that to the list.

When I was a smoker, I tried to be considerate of those around me in public when I lit up. There were times when camping that good friends and I would have a cigar and a glass of good sippin' whiskey after dinner. It was tight quarters where we were and we checked with the neighbors if there were objections to partaking of the stogies.

NothingsChocking likes this.
  11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Last week we were at the top of Cathedral ledge in NH and there was some guy sitting in a chair smoking a pipe. There were a lot of people in a small area at the top of Cathedral Ledge and his pipe was making tons of sweet stinky smoke. Definitely a jerk and probably couldn't be cured.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Generally only low income people smoke anything in these parts, haven't figured that one out either. "Vaping" is the new low income fix now.

A cigar would be way worse than a cigarette. One thing if in a large wooden campground and no breeze.

I was unable to sit outside at one campground due to chain smokers than spent their time sitting under their canopy smoking non stop.

Wait until you get someone smoking marijuana next to your site. I've had that happen this summer. That stuff stinks far worse than anything.

13. tfischer

Vaping drives me nuts too. I'll be walking down the sidewalk and suddenly I'm inhaling this huge cloud. Thanks dude but I don't need a fix.

14. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Where I camp on FS and BLM lands, a quick call to the local ranger station or field office will get that fixed. Regardless of the state and the state laws, pot is still illegal on Federal lands.

JPBar likes this.
  15. neighbormike

Damn hippies.

Makin moves, Adam H and kcsa75 like this.
  16. neighbormike

To be honest, this has become the "sitting under my canopy" thread... the moral of the story, is be aware of your surroundings, and try to be mindful of your neighbors.

17. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Hmm.. didn't know I'd been relegated to the "low income" classification now... o_O

:D Not really offended, but your presumptions are showing. :D

Ding! Ding! Winner!!

Adam H likes this.
  18. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

I'm in Canada...it will only become worse with the current federal government promising to legalize it nationwide.

19. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

That's why I said generally and locally, but for every person I've seen smoking or vaping that has a "really good job" I've seen several dozen that did not.

20. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Hey that was my thread, but I agree.