Cigars and fresh air

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Eskimorob, Sep 4, 2017.

1. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Pot is legal here in MA an the world has not ended. Actually nothing seems to have changed other than people getting arrested. I think it is the same as drinking beer at the campsite.

Makin moves and kcsa75 like this.
  2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I have a buddy from Denver, CO and he tells a different story about the aftermath of legalization there.

3. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I'm seeing an increase in pot smells in the campgrounds we visit. Last trip my oldest daughter actually noticed and asked me what that horrible smell was.

4. 1380ken

I would rather be camping next to people smoking pot all day rather than people drinking all day. The stoners will be sleeping when quiet time comes around.

Makin moves, nhlakes and bols2Dawall like this.
  5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

In my old profession smoking was a given with 3/4 of the people who were actively out in the field and streets; and guess what, we all had college degrees. That did start to change and in the years before I transferred to the BLM, the number of smokers went down considerably. And many of us quit using E-cigs when all other means never worked. And never had anyone have a problem with the vapor from an E-cig since there was no smell to it.
    However, when with the BLM in UT, one of the biggest surprises people had from states that, at that time had medical marijuana, was the fact it was illegal not only in UT but primarily on federal lands. Normally, it was just a confiscation and a ticket, but if there was any backtalk it could be a Federal judge looking at you in a few weeks.

http://hightimes.com/culture/dont-expect-to-smoke-much-weed-at-burning-man-this-year/

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

My dad smoked constantly - in the house, in the car, etc. I hated the smell, and still do. My brother picked up the habit as well - both with cigarettes although I think my brother will do a cigar from time to time. I personally cannot stand the smell of smoke - pipe, cigar, cigarette and not too fond of campfires either. However - I tolerate it as long as it remains legal. In a campground setting there is usually enough campfires running that I don't notice the tobacco smell quite as much. Enclosed areas or close proximity is a different matter.

Now if my neighbor had their monthly cigar club meeting with a bunch of folks out smoking together I might have a polite word with them, or more likely go find something else to do and come back later in the hopes they smoked all their stash!

7. NCLaramie

NCLaramie New Member

You're in an outdoor place and as long as smoking tobacco products isn't prohibited, then please, carry on. I see numerous people smoking while outdoors and what I'm most offended by is cigarette butts on the ground! There are numerous smells, noises and activities that occur while camping, including the smell of smoke from tobacco products and fires, not to mention cooking food. If I got offended every time a smell or noise bothered me from someone else's campsite, I'd never go camping. The noise level bothers me most of all and that's why I like state parks....there is quiet time. Plus a ranger. Keep on being respectful as you are, and enjoy that cigar!

8. retiredmikey

retiredmikey New Member

OMG, I'm glad I never ran into any of the people here who complain about smoke. Geeze. Get a real life or stay locked up inside your home.

JPBar and Adam H like this.
  9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Fixed that for you. (Note the above quote was modified)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    retiredmikey likes this.
  10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

FarmerDave,
    Shame on you. It's considered bad etiquette to alter another's quote.[EEK]

Adam H, f5moab and JPBar like this.
  11. f5moab

Or at least without highlighting the revision to the quote.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

I guess people aren't familiar with "fixed that for you" meme.

Edited my post to be clear.

kcsa75 likes this.
  13. tombiasi

I don't even know what a "meme" is.

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

FarmerDave, tfischer and JPBar like this.
  15. f5moab

That's how I'm familiar with it. The change is highlighted so people don't have to waste time to compare the two to see what has been added or changed.

16. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

As many people have said, while I'm not a fan of it, I won't come knocking on your campsite to cut it out. If you're respectful, then so are we. Hell, if it becomes too much, I'll take the kids for a walk to the playground/lake/out for ice cream.

On the other hand, we camped near a group of fraternity brothers that were determined to kill themselves one weekend. They were up drinking hard at 7:30am until 4:30am, then back up a few hours later. This was punctuated with multiple heavy clouds of pot smoke, screaming, whooping, and random bird calls. They played multiple drinking games through the day which amounted to "let get drunker faster."

Then at the end of the weekend, they cleaned their prodigious number of empties, picked up their baggies and trash that was that. They were calm and polite (and likely more than a little hung over), but they cleaned their site and struck camp before heading out.

It was a riotous weekend that ended cleanly.

17. 1380ken

Miss those days. Now I am tired at 10 pm

kcsa75 and JPBar like this.
  18. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

I hear you. I just sat there the second morning, bleary-eyed and waiting for my coffee to brew, while they stumbled out of their tents at seven thirty and proceeded to crack open some cheap beers for some of the hair of the dog. Can't do that stuff any more.

19. tombiasi

You can make it to 10 PM?

20. Calicajun

Calicajun Member

Never been in a campground where spaces were so close that the smell from someone smoking was a problem. I do have a problem with smokers who blow smoke in your face but that a different subject.

retiredmikey likes this.