Circle tour of Lake Superior

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by ftfamily, Jun 9, 2016.

1. ftfamily

ftfamily New Member

My husband and I are planning this trip for late August. We are starting from Minneapolis. We are dealing interested in historical sights, especially Voyagers and fur trade. We also love hiking. Any suggestions?

Do you reserve sights? Or grab as you go. I am thinking of reserving a sight in Grand Marais, MN the first night and possibly staying near Bayfield, WI the last night.

There is too much to see and do on this trip! We are planning on 10 days

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fun trip. If it were me, I would reserve sites in advance. I like to know that I have a place to stay when I arrive, and I like to research CGs as much as possible to make sure they meet my needs.

3. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fantastic trip! I would check out potential campgrounds and talk with the rangers about availability, then make your decision about reservations. They can best advise you.

4. ftfamily

ftfamily New Member

All the reservations are made and we leave in 10 days! I stuck with provincial parks in Canada and state parks in the US. We have had such good luck with state parks that I just went for it.

We are camping for 11 nights We are hoping our old PUP holds together for the whole trip. We are spending 2 nights at kakabeca Falls, 2 nights at Tequamenon falls and (hopefully) 2 nights at 12 mile Beach. There are no reservations at 12 mile beach, ugh. But it is mid week and after labor day, so we are hoping for the best

5. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Look forward to read your trip report. Happy and safety camping trip!

6. samh

samh Campin'

Sounds like a GREAT trip itinerary. A Lake Superior circle tour is on our family list as well.

7. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Fort Wilkins near the end on the Keweenaw is a really nice park. Not sure how busy they'd be. The canal that passes through Hancock and Houghton MI at the base Kewee (sort of the base) is the portage route.

8. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Twelve Mile Beach is a beautiful spot. Have fun!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

9. 4KonevalCampers

4KonevalCampers New Member

If you are interested in historical places you should check out Neys Provincial Park. It was a POW camp at one time. We did a trip around Lake Superior last year and it was well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Sawbill fan

Sawbill fan Member

Grand Portage National Monument just NE of Grand Marais is very interesting. Old voyager trading post and fort. Museum, some working and staffed display areas, etc. Definitely worth a few hours. Sounds like a great trip. Something I hope to do some day. Have fun.

11. ftfamily

ftfamily New Member

We are staying a night at Ney's and are looking forward to it. We have been to grand portage before, so we are going to fort William this trip and fort Wilkins is cool. We have been there before also. We borrowed a pop up a few years ago and went to Mackinaw island and went up copper harbour on the way home. One of my best trips ever!

12. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

Please let us know how you enjoyed your trip. I have been planning a trip similar to this. Let us know what you think of the campgrounds. Have fun!

13. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

While on the Kewee, try staying off the main highway 41 that runs basically up the middle. Nicer routes are 26 or other locale roads. You can get to Copper H and take different routes up and down the peninsula.

Get in touch if you'd care to get together when you pass through. We have many, many nice hiking trails within the Keweenaw.

14. ftfamily

ftfamily New Member

Thanks for the info!

15. Limited360

Limited360 New Member

Sounds like a great trip... doing a similar myself the week after Labor day as well. We are going from Ahmeek to Muskalonge Lake to Brimley...

State parks are awesome! I wanted to stay up in Copper Harbor but it was booked out already for the first 3 nights (labor day weekend). Enjoy the UP!