Clam quick pop up or something like?

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by open68, Aug 14, 2021.

1. open68

open68 Member

Anyone use these or some like it. I was thinking of purchasing the 120x120 withe the added sides with small window in them for the cold days or rainy ones. Any thoughts or ones just as good for less money?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have the gazelle, its good. Maybe a bit too good. Because of the small screening, they dont breathe well. So they heat up in the summer. If your in cooler temps, would be a win. I may still modify mine, but it does keep the bugs out. And can handle some win. Im happy with it.

ColoradoLizzy likes this.
  3. open68

open68 Member

I am in Mi Is cooler but I would like some thing that I could put up on the sides in case it decides to start raining

4. Sjm9911

They have sides for them also. It does an ok job by itself with no sides. , well the bigger one anyway. It will fit over a campsite table with room to spare.

open68 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Millennium Camper and open68 like this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Clam Quick-Set... love mine, but hear they’re no good in Michigan [LOL][LOL] E63BF205-97AB-4230-BE97-69C785ACE767.jpeg DFFCCC38-25F4-4B3A-BEF7-2CB919699154.jpeg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. open68

open68 Member

[QUOTE="Sjm9911, post: 1423474, member: It will fit over a campsite table with room to spare.[/QUOTE]
    I will have to look at it. Might be an option

8. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

We have the cabelas version which is the Quick-Set but I’m pretty sure it’s made by Clam. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-quick-set-screen-shelter

t
    he reason we got the Cabelas version is it has walls sew in that zipper and roll up. the Clams I saw had the walls as an add on accessory. It seems very well built and is large. We had 10 people in it during a rain storm on vacation and it wasn’t cramped at all.

plus, I had Cabelas points to use from the Cabelas credit card so that helped with the decision too.

open68 likes this.
  9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I was very hot on getting one this summer until two things changed my mind. First, I read quite a few reviews about the lack of air flow. Second, the storage length is is 6 feet. Since I store mine in the pup on the floor, this is not an option. It is also too long to put it in the box of the truck unless it is at an angle, but that would make it difficult to neatly pack the box with other items.

open68 likes this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I seriously considered buying one myself until I saw a YouTube review showing the temperature inside the shelter with just screens vrs outside. The screen holes are so tight the shelter was hotter inside then out. So perfect canopy for cooler temperatures and environments not so great when it’s hot. I love the idea of being able to add rain panels quickly without having to rig something but I’d rather not “bake”. I can see how this shelter would be great for a fall trip where you can add panels up to keep warm or block wind and still enjoy being outdoors.

open68 likes this.
  11. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I use one as my galley. Love it.
    13E56E7B-3349-40CF-B180-85ED59F1FCD9.jpeg C10C11FA-2592-44E7-8723-CC9C84F73759.jpeg 6CD5B28B-536C-477E-9B15-EE93158A58A5.jpeg 52ACD06A-1F31-41E6-B9F6-9BAB5DBEAA58.jpeg

Sjm9911 and open68 like this.
  12. open68

open68 Member

13. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

In fairness, I’m not sitting in it for long but it seems like any other screen room.
    When I have the walls down though, even boiling a kettle makes it unbearable in there. Definitely can retain heat.
    I’m in Montreal, so we have seen everything from about -20 to 120f with this thing.

Millennium Camper, open68 and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Coulter Wood

Coulter Wood Member

open68 and Eric Webber like this.
  15. ColoradoLizzy

ColoradoLizzy Member Silver Supporting Member

We have a clam escape - it fits well over a picnic table or if there's a leveled tent area in our spot we often put it there and then put our chairs and a table in it. It sure can be warm in there when it's hot out but if you unzip the door you can get relief (and possibly bugs) so we just don't bother with it if we think we won't use it. We have the side walls with windows and without and they are wonderful for shade and easily moved when the sunshine shifts. We bought ours after it took so long to take down our screen house during high winds and tornado warnings, this one is so fast and easy for us.

open68 and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

I have the brown, Clam Traveler with wind walls. It's a bit pricey but I am a senior and my husband has a very bad back. I can put this up myself, no poles to set up and it comes with wind tie downs that I have never used. It's pricey but I couldn't be happier. Fits in an oversized bag that comes with it and stores in my aframe

Susan Premo, open68 and neighbormike like this.
  17. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I ended up getting a flexion 6, for many of the reasons you folks mentioned. While I liked the clam, they seem to not want to give different model numbers to things. Some have rain flaps. Others don't. Some will take a floor, but only in certain editions or color combos. Their pavilion is nice, but it's over 6 feet closed. I needed something closer to 4 feet and somewhat lighter weight.
    The flexion is about the same size. It has no panel options, thus no privacy and no wind protection. YouTube users have used shower curtains.

I would have done a gizelle, but I wanted a roll down side that was more water resistant. They didn't seem to have one in the medium side.

I found the flexion on eBay for no about 75 bucks. They have quite a few available and the same company has gizelles, and clams... Flexion being the cheapest.

neighbormike and open68 like this.
  18. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I finally got it, and set it up for the first time. There is a certain amount of cost cutting, and a slightly longer setup time.
    Pros:
    It came in great condition. Yes , it appears it had been setup at least once, but it was clean, and all stakes, lines, and poles were included.
    For 75 bucks I think it was worth it.
    Cons:
    Slightly longer setup time. Roof supports are like classic tent poles, and requires to connect the pieces. There are 3 for the roof. 3 for the door way.

These are all simple enough. The most annoying part is that the roof support requires tying the poles to it. No Velcro. Old fashioned tying.
    Then a whole bunch of bugs showed up. I assume it was from the lawn. And was all over the inside.

I sprayed some scotch guard on the seams and points where it touches poles. Then I treated the inside and netting with permethrin , as well as the lower half.
    All the bugs died.

Putting it away was just the reverse. The bag is adequately sized to put it away.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member